Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:13 PM   #331

Default Macro in TX7 vs HX5

DonalDuc, is there a difference in the macro of the TX7 vs the HX5?
fotomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:05 PM   #332

Martino-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please that you dropped by.

Concerning the blurred background issue: you will occasionally see a blurred background from P+S cameras when in the Macro Mode. However, the blurred background is rather easy for DSLR cameras due to their much larger imagers, and wide aperture lenses.

I have found the TX7 actually does a somewhat better job with mcro or close-up shots than the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:39 PM   #333

Further to my last post, I tried out the Macro function of the Tx7 compared with Panasonic TZ10 and the Sony HX5. The Macro function in the TX7 is far far superior and almost instant! I wish someone would tell me why!

The other point of note from the Cameralabs review is "By virtue of its touch-screen the TX7 has one other focusing option, which turns out to be one of the simplest, most accurate and intuitive ways to focus a compact, and the one thing a touch-screen model can, without doubt, do better than one with physical controls. In any of the AF modes you can focus on an object anywhere in the frame simply by touching it. It's quick, simple and it works every time. It's also a key advantage the TX7 has over its counterpart the HX5, which doesn't allow you to move its spot AF area. "

Both these explain the beautiful shots of DonaldDuc, although there is one other factor to reckon with, as DonaldDuc has said many a time.... its not just the camera, but the eye that guides the camera! The way he has used the available lighting to his advantage, is indeed creative.

I have decided to buy the TX7 as it has all the modes as the HX5 except for GPS which I don't need. Of course I will have to compromise on the zoom. But this camera beats the others in picture quality.
fotomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:59 PM   #334

Thanks, guys. I wished I had gotten the TX7 instead now. I read that they are about the same except for the zoom. Now I realise there are more differences than that.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 4:35 AM   #335

I don't have a HX5, but I think both are "similar". Some people think, the TX7's "inside, vertical, small lens" may be not as good as HX5's big lens. This must not be true, because a 10x zoom follows other geometric laws like a 4x zoom. Also the Super Macro may not be exact the same.

For GPS (if necessary): I use an extern, small, keyring sized GPS (< € 50) data logger with EVERY camera. Start this thing, put it in your pocket, that's all. For 24h each second it saves your position and it's a snap to combine data to EXIF of your photos (with one mouse click). I never would buy a camera because it has GPS (you can count the number of models at fingers on one hand)

Hehehehe - comparing sensors

Last edited by DonalDuc; Jun 20, 2010 at 5:16 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 3:54 AM   #336

Hello boys, i'm total new on this forum and this is my first post.
I would like to share my enthusiasm about this little camera with great performaces.
I'm more focused on the video side, and this is a total amazing piece of hardware on this front.

Here my little jewel in her new underwater dress

little and short video to show how to use underwater dicapac case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xud0en-IcDY

Last edited by viganet; Jun 26, 2010 at 3:59 AM.
viganet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:38 AM   #337

Because of shooting video i need a very confortable handling to keep the camera as stable as possible for much more time than take a pic, i'm trying two different type o f handle.

This one :

and this different:

I can't decide.
What is better in yours opinions?

Last edited by viganet; Jun 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM.
viganet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:49 AM   #338

I think Pearl bag (Xcase) is cheaper (€ 5.90 = $ 7.30) and better :-)
3x seal

http://microsites.pearl.de/video.php...POJc3Z5oDJp0Ls

http://www.pearl.de/a-PE3793-1121.shtml

Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:28 AM   #339

Looks funny, but works well!

Manfrotto with 3 functions

1) steady
2) table tripod
3) shoulder tripod

1)

2)

3)
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:53 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by viganet View Post
Because of shooting video i need a very confortable handling to keep the camera as stable as possible for much more time than take a pic, i'm trying two different type o f handle.

This one :

and this different:

I can't decide.
What is better in yours opinions?
I use something similar to the rubberized handle and like its simplicity and portability but worry about snapping the camera off its unsupported pedestal. Your second choice is more substantial but its metal handle looks somewhat out of place next to the diminutive TX7. Please tell us what these things are.
wae5 is offline   Reply With Quote