Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:58 PM   #11

LOL @ the WANTing one - that so often is true I guess for me, the reason that it's unappealing is that it fails at the two things any compact generally fails at:

1 - High ISO performance. The samples I've seen from the G11 are no better (probably a little worse actually but it's hard to compare apples to apples) at 1600 and 3200 ISO than my new little sony.

2 - Bokeh - getting good, nice background blur in a portrait. Any small sensor, large zoom range camera does poorly here due to the excessive depth of field with the tiny sensor.

I could see the G11's usefulness for some types of landscape photography and press photography (where the added DOF could be a benefit, like it can be with a point and shoot, due to less blurred shots).
Mark Uhde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:12 PM   #12
Super Moderator

yes, those are the main limitations of compacts and thus hold true to the G11 despite being less compact. but for landscapers and cityscapers its really a nice tool and would be what i would use it for.

but like i said, i really have no practical need for one. i just find it to be a nicely laid out digicam.

i am really fond of the manual dials for exposure comp and ISO, something I wish my 50D had, makes for an easy check.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:08 PM   #13

Hards/Dustin

Is that the same camera addiction that I suffer from??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:17 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Hards/Dustin

Is that the same camera addiction that I suffer from??

Sarah Joyce
i believe so, and i fear once i move on to my next position, the added income may make things even worse....
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:39 PM   #15

I wrote a second short review on this camera for a site called Epinions. I did write different things for a slightly different audience if y'all are interested in that too:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Sony_...t_500758580868
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:31 PM   #16

I have added some additional shots to my Flickr photoset linked from my blog and also here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/comicex...7623285025694/

For this I'm uploading everything, unedited - even the really bad stuff. Knowing what doesn't work is just as important. This was to test how well the camera's auto white balance coped with some weird mixed lighting (LED PAR cans were used to light the doll and beanies - for some of the shots one was set to RED and BLUE at full and the other to RED GREEN BLUE at full (to show realistic concert lighting where purples are popular), for other shots I did RGB at full on both. I added the flash to a few). I also did a few other randomness shots to try and trick it up. Photographically, I know they're terrible pics - the goal is to show off the camera's struggles and quality. Little thought was put into the actual pics
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:53 AM   #17

Hi Mark-

A very good Epinions review. It has nice touches of humor and expertise, while touching on all the issues quite nicely.

I have some questions on the Sony W-350:

1. What is the flash recycle time?

2. You mention the W-350 having a poor flash. Can you give us an average Flash Range?

3. What Sony battery does this camera use?

4. With a zoom range of 26 to 105mm do you ever feel constrained by zoom limitations? The W-370 has 7X optical zoom (34-240mm approx) I was surprised at the no wide angle beginning of the W-370 camera.

In your Flickr account, please show the ISO setting used on the high ISO photos.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 12:08 PM   #18

I'll get to more later with more testing but the flash recycle seems reasonably fast, I'm not much of a long zoom with a P&S person. Or at all - I have a 100-300USM for my DSLR and it gets used a few times a year. I'd usually much rather have the extreme wide angle. That's one of the differences with the W370. They sacrificed the wide angle to get the zoom...

As for Flickr, if you click "more properties" it has all the camera settings recorded in EXIF, including ISO.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:01 PM   #19

Thanks a lot, Mark-

When you get a chance please let me know which battery the W-350 camera uses.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:15 PM   #20

New, small, LiION battery like others W.. and TX7 NP-BN1
Second source not (yet) available

DSC-TX7, DSC-W310, DSC-W320, DSC-W330, DSC-W350, DSC-W360, DSC-W380
630mAh

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote