Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Nov 24, 2003, 8:09 PM   #1

Default Red problems with the F717

I have been doing some still life photos with my F717 using roses as my subjects. I have noted that the results on the red roses are different than the others. They seen to be blurred together, you can't see the detail of the petals and so on. Is there some issue with deep reds for the 717. I don't see any other colors doing this so far. Any ideas anyone?
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 3:45 AM   #2

I've had this problem too. The F717 has a problem with oversaturating reds, although apparently not as badly as the F707.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:14 PM   #3

I am contemplating buying an F717, so this topic has peaked my interest.

My Oly C3020 has a manual fine adjustment of the white balance which can be used to shift reds toward the blue end of the spectrum and vice-versa. (with the Oly, I generally tick this adjustment up toward the red a wee bit since reds seem a little weak to me, but it would seem that if reds were saturated that adjusting this option in the other direction would help de-saturate the red). This manual WB adjustment is in addition to the one-touch WB and preset WB settings.

Would there be a similar adjustment option available on the 717, and do you think that it would solve the red saturation problem that you have described?
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2003, 12:38 AM   #4

Yes, I think there is. I was able to fix much of it with software after the fact, but I do believe a better use of white balance on my part might help. I do highly recommend the 717, with the exception of the flash situation I love it. Good luck.
randy o is offline   Reply With Quote