Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Default sony h-20 question??

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if the Sony h-20 has manual aperture control so that I would be able to create a shallow depth of field? Particularly while taking portraits? If it does, is it low enough for me to successfully blur the background? There also seems to be some grumbling about the lens cap situation. Is there a problem with that? Does the flash pop up with every picture, or just when a flash is required? Are indoor low light photos bright enough?
Thank you so much for your help!
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:03 PM   #2

tatiana-

The Sony H-20 does NOT have Aperture Priority, but it does have a Manual Mode where aperture can be adjusted. However, the maximum, or "wide open" position on the lens is only F 3.5. That is not a wide enough aperture to consistently get a blurred background.

I have owned my H-20 for almost 1 year and I have no complaints at all about the lens cap. The H-20's built-in flash unit only pops up when needed. Due to the max aperture of F 3.5 the H-20 does not excel in a low light level shooting environment, although the H-20 does do rather well at an ISO setting of 800.

As I have said to you in multiple posts, and you are I am sure getting tired of hearing me say that, a consistently available blurred background effect is only something found in DSLR cameras when using F 1.2 and F 1.4 lenses.

Please keep in mind that professional portrait photographers use backdrops to also create
a blurred background. Perhaps you could experiment with that.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 1:21 PM   #3

Thank you Sarah,
As a professional, I am sure that you tire of people wanting to have their cake and eat it too. I am hoping for things that just don't exsist. I know that the photography knowledge and cost involved prohibit me from owning the type of camera that yield my wishes. Thank you for so kindly clearing things up for me.
Have a great day.
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:28 PM   #4

Thanks very much, Tatiana.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote