Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:33 PM   #1

Default The HX-1 Super Zoom

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used Sony HX-1 camera, and I have been very impressed with the HX-1's performance.

While I do a DSLR camera, I love super zoom cameras. I'm currently shooting with the Canon SX-10, the Panasonic FZ-35, and the Sony HX-1. Of these three cameras, the HX-1 has rather clearly become the top performer, followed closely by the Panasonic FZ-35, and trailed by a considerable distance by the SX-10, which is ISO limited. The opinion expressed is only my own personal opinion.

In the Basic Digital Cameras course that I teach at our local Community College we intersperse actual shooting workshops whenever we finish a major section in our syllabus. Yesterday (03 Feb) we had a Close-up Shooting Workshop.

To facilitate, my husband and I always bring along a box full of props to use for subjects. By tradition, I shoot the first few couple of demo shots pointing out hints to watch for when taking close-up or macro shots. We then pop the card out of the camera used and talk about the shots and how they might be improved.

I took the HX-1 with me yesterday. So that was the camera I used. Here are a couple of samples from that shooting session.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:35 PM   #2

Here is another photo from the workshop. It was taken without flash to prevent glare from the high gloss lacquer surface of the Russian tradition trinket box.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:37 PM   #3

And here is photo, an indoor informal portrait of my husband, Bradley.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:32 PM   #4

Very nice, I am impressed with these shots. Thanx for posting.

Big Box store here has no Panasonics..... however I spent a considerable amount of time with the Canon SX 20, the Nikon P 90 and the Sony HX 1.

It wasn't long before I left the P 90 in the slot ( the one I came to see in particular ) and toggled back and forth between the other two.

For my eye, I thought the HX1 shot cleaner pix in the limited environment I was in. More notable is that it seemed to focus more quickly, ( the P 90 seemed to hunt ) the screen was bright and crisp too. This body seemed to fit my hand the best and the menu was intuitive to my crazy way of thinking !

Caution: you have to take my comments with a grain or two..... This is all pretty new to me and getting the most out of any of these three is beyond my skill level at this point.... but those were my first and general impressions.

I can see now how important it is to get some real hands on time with a new camera before you commit. They all look nice on the web in pictures, pretty much the same really to the untrained eye....but you really don't know till you grab on !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:31 PM   #5

Strobe-

That is until you hand over the credit card, head home, charge the battery, and begin shooting. That is why I purchased a used HX-1 to reduce my front end liability.

However, there are good professional reviews available that I used liberally before coming to my decision to purchase. This new crop of super zoom cameras only have spec's on paper. We won't probably see the first professional review for another 30 to 45 days.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:21 PM   #6

Here is my first photo taken in the Twilight Mode right at sunset, this stormy rainy evening. I stood in the open garage door and shot into the front yard.

In the Twilight Mode the HX-1 takes three images and merges them into a single image.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:31 PM   #7

Please forgive my crappy monitor.... tell me what you see ?
Which aspects are you most satisfied with and which not ?

It does look like a lovely quiet place in the foothills without snow..... that is one aspect to love !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Strobe-

The sun was below the horizon, the light was minimal. To get that class of photo with that kind of light is amazing. Here is another Twilight Mode phot that will be easier to understand. This photo was taken at 8pm, well after dark, using just room lighting, without using any flash. For a P+S camera that is very difficult to do.

The HX-1 takes three separate photos, then taking the best elements of each photo, the camera merges then into a single higher quality image.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:39 PM   #9

Maybe my monitor is not good either as I'm not too impressed by the IQ of this camera. The Twilight image looks washed out and a bit over exposed while the indoor shots have a yellowish cast to them, indicating poor handling of White Balance. The teddy bear image looks very good (but it was taken with flash).

Now, as Strobe pointed out, you live in a lovely place, Sarah.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:23 PM   #10

Tullio-

Your point is well made. That is why I purchased the HX-1 used at a very attractive price, rather than paying the current retail selling price. It is not a perfect camera that is for sure, but it is a fun camera, and it was Sony's first CMOS attempt.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce