Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:38 PM   #1

Default DSC-H10 compared to H20

Hi,

My existing DSC-P120 is seriously outdated and I am now looking for something to replace it. After reading a lot about different models and specs it is quite clear that there isn't a single perfect camera available for my needs. I am looking for a general purpose camera that could be used indoors and outdoors. My main complaint about the P120 is very poor performance indoors and generally in low light conditions. It is very hard to get sharp pictures and especially my two daughters are hard targets. In good lighting the P120 seems to do fine for me but of course the zoom range could be better (only 3x optical).

Canon S90 would be nice but it is quite expensive and doesn't have HD video and also lack in zoom range. The H20 would be good for my needs and with wider angle lens it would be perfect. The size is slightly big for an allaround camera to be carried everywhere but the effective flash and good zoom is what turns me on. Now to the point: what are the main improvements in the newer H20 model compared to H10? The video and extra megapixels are evident but in addition to those? The reason for asking this that I saw the H10 in sale (I live in Finland) for $175 whereas the H20 is $340. The affordable price of H10 would allow me to consider getting yet another camera that has wider angle lens and HD video as well. Maybe something from the smaller sony range like W350 or can you recommend something else for landscapes and video shots?

Jussi
jussiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:52 PM   #2

Jussi-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Sony P+S folder. We're glad you dropped by.

The basic difference between Sony H-10 and the H-20 is that the menu structure was adjusted for the H-20 and HD video with zooming. So if HD video is not a priority, you have found a bargain. The menu change is minor.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 5:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. One additional question: are you able to use zoom in the video mode with H10?

Jussi
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:33 PM   #4

Jussi-

The H-10 does NOT allow zooming while filming video. That changed in the H-20, which does allow the use of zooming when filming video.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:55 AM   #5

Will you be able to "pre-zoom" with the H10 and then start shooting video or does it always go into tele when the video is started?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6

Jussi-

Yes, I believe that you should be able to "pre-zoom" to a desired focal length, and then begin filming your video. I will give it a try and let you know.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:06 PM   #7

My main reason to get this camera was to take pictures inside as my old P120 has a weak flash. Now that I have played with H10 for couple of days the results are not exactly as good as I was hoping for. As I am not so experienced in photography it may be that my expectations are unrealistic. The pictures taken with H10 in low light with the flash have too much red in them and in auto mode the flash is also too powerful. Is the red tint caused by the flash and has nothing to do with capabilities of H10? The best results I have achieved by using fill flash (also lowered the flash power slightly), ISO 400 and auto WB. Without flash the pictures inside are ok as long as my kids are not in the shots. Oh and by the way the pre-zoom works in movie mode.

Jussi
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:27 PM   #8

I was a bit hasty with the camera. It seems that the display is not showing even close to what the picture will be when it is transferred to computer. It is impossible to judge the quality of the shot from the camera screen which is a shame. In the end the camera seems to a decent job in auto mode but still the flash is overwhelming. Is there a nice way to deal with this for example lowering the EV value in auto mode?

Jussi
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:54 PM   #9

Jussi-

You should use the Flash Compensation feature, to reduce the flash output. That is the direct control you are looking for with your photos.

Sarah Joyce