Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:42 PM   #111

Hello,

Hi, I am new to this forum thread... I just bought my Hx5v a week ago.

As mentioned before, I am a green horn in still photography and is willing to learn and truly appreciate the sharing from other forum experts on how to take good pictures. Hopefully, one day, I would know enough to take good pictures to share in the forum

I appreciate a critique on this mountain shot that I took using my Hx5v in the 8.15 am morning sun.. as I beginner, I used the intelligent shot... question for the experts... how do I improve the take of this shot? If you are standing at this same spot taking the same shot, what settings would you use? Should I use "P"? and which P settings is best

Thanks in advance for your time

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:50 PM   #112

Hello and welcome,

Where you using the camera at full zoom?

If not, I would try to zoom past the near power lines at the top of the photo. It is a bit distracting. Maxing out the zoom may also eliminated some of the houses in the neighborhood too. Maybe move to the double yellow line to get a bit more balance to the shot with the street.

You choose a tough spot to get the photo of the mountains. But over all you a nice job given the location.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:59 PM   #113

Thanks shoturtle.. you are right.. good point that the wires are distracting. I am not using full zoom... I have chosen a bad spot because it is the highest point on the road to catch the mountain top, but full of wires. I will look for another cleaner spot.

I will also try the "P" setting as advised by Sarah in the other thread.

Thanks
Ric
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:09 AM   #114

Ric,

Glad I could be of some assistance. But those are some majestic mountains. Finding a good location to shoot them will yield some lovely results I am sure.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:21 AM   #115

shoturtle,

If you find the mountains familiar, it may be because it was featured on international TV during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics from Feb 12 to Feb 30th, I will find a good spot next time, free of wires and telephone poles to take another clear shot when the weather gets better... stay tuned

Hx5V is such a portable camera that I wear it on my belt everywhere I go, shooting pictures, so I have my cellphone clip on my belt on my left and Hx5V on right side of my belt everywhere I go :-)

Thanks
Ric
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:24 AM   #116

Ric-

Welcome on board. Make yourself comfortable. As you can see we have lots of sharing, many posts and a wide variety of photo samples to view in this thread.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:27 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric01 View Post
shoturtle,

If you find the mountains familiar, it may be because it was featured on international TV during the 2010 Vancouver Olympics from Feb 12 to Feb 30th, I will find a good spot next time, free of wires and telephone poles to take another clear shot when the weather gets better... stay tuned

Hx5V is such a portable camera that I wear it on my belt everywhere I go, shooting pictures, so I have my cellphone clip on my belt on my left and Hx5V on right side of my belt everywhere I go :-)

Thanks
Ric
Been out your way couple times this year already. I like vancouver. And whistler is always a nice place to ski
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:28 AM   #118

Thanks Sarah. I am soaking in the fabulous master pieces shot by various experts and enjoyed reading all the great comments and sharing... great forum !
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:34 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Been out your way couple times this year already. I like vancouver. And whistler is always a nice place to ski
That's great! Vancouver is no stranger to you :-) ..... We have not many good days during the year to take outdoor shots... raining or cloudy most of the time.... again Hx5v is a god send because I can whipped out of my belt and take a shot where ever and when ever as soon as the sun comes out :-) Spring time is the best... I couldn't wait for the full spring blossoms to try out my Hx5V!!
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:36 AM   #120

I would be interested in seeing some more close up shots with the hx5v. The ones I seen thus far have been excellent.