Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:58 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
There will always be detractors. It is as simple as that. Here is the conclusion regarding the HX5's vide capability that PhotographyBlog came to in their review of the HX5. In the final analysis, I believe the HX5 will stand firm on its own merits.

Sarah Joyce
Yes I have read all of the reviews but I encourage you to review the video samples or even film a few of your own. The issue is not the specifications or resolution but rather the muted colors, gray blacks, etc.

Here's the link to one and you can see the links on that page to the rest of his comparison videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSaMdCZpE74
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:42 AM   #132

A few early morning pictures returning home from the night shift

Amsterdam airport main control tower @ full wide and a pigeon @ full tele.

Cam in P-mode, iso locked at 125, all other settings in auto. The gps data is probably incorrect; i didn't wait for the cam to get a good signal

Resized + sharpened in photoshop.
Attached Images

Last edited by greenbaron; Apr 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM.
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:28 AM   #133

Looking pretty good greenbaron.

Sarah Joyce, I don't want to give the impression that I dislike the HX5V at all. I actually like it quite a bit. I just want to be aware of all the pros/cons and strengths/weaknesses of each camera.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:21 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Looking pretty good greenbaron.

Sarah Joyce, I don't want to give the impression that I dislike the HX5V at all. I actually like it quite a bit. I just want to be aware of all the pros/cons and strengths/weaknesses of each camera.
FiveO, I understand where you are coming from as I have been involved in shooting videos for the last 6 years for friends weddings (to help with no monetary gain). Though I am starting to get serious on still photography, video still interests me. I have seen the comparison video you talked about from Part 1 to Part 5.

I only have my new Hx5v for almost two weeks and though it is within my return period to the retailer I bought it from, I have decided to keep it even after I've seen the comparison video by ranking the following camera features that are important (show stopper) to me

Features of Hx5v are the most important to me:-

1) G lens - no streaks on video
2) HX5 imager superior "backlighted imager" yielding better shots as described in this forum thread, post#87
3) Great close-up, macro shots with fabulous color intensity.
4) Hand-held twitlight (HHT) for less desirable outdoor or indoor lighting shots without flash
5) 1080p HD video (future proof your purchase)

Yes, I am affected by the low light performance video performance and slow low light focus compared to the Panasonic TZ10, however, these two cons alone are not sufficient to overshadow the 5 pros above because still photography is important to me as well. I asked myself questions like, how often would I use the Hx5v to shoot video in low light situations. If I bought my Hx5v, soley, just only for its video capabilities and nothing else, then, perhaps I would have a different set of feature rankings and my keeping of Hx5v may be in question.

Hope this helps

Being a still photography novice... I am no expert... this is a free hand unedited shot using my Hx5v - only resize

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:30 AM   #135

greenbaron-

I really like the Control Tower shot. I has real mood to it.

FiveO -

The whole purpose of the thread that was very kindly started by the GreenBaron, it to share everything about the HX5, both good and bad.

Ric-

Congratulations on your decision to keep the HX5 camera. I think that being Sony's very first travel zoom class of camera that there are areas that will be improved in its next generation, but in its current form it is a very interesting and capable camera. My goal is to help folks enjoy their HX5. Your photo sample is very nice indeed. The WB was off by a tiny bit, so I hope that you didn't mind if I adjusted the WB to produce the spot on colors. I have attached the image with the corrected WB and color.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 10, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:13 PM   #136

Default Lemons into oranges

What does "wb" mean? Yes this Sony isn't very good taking movies in low light either outside or inside. I have had a Sony that wasn't 1080 etc that took GREAT movie pictures in very low light situations. As a p&s for traveling this camera should do a very good job. I purchased a Canon Mark 2 that will be good for indoor and outdoor 1080 plus movies. Why was there such a difference in the colors of the "oranges"? What is the procedure in getting the color to be what it should be? Inquiring minds would like to know.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:59 PM   #137

deSanford-

WB stands for White Balance. When a camera really knows what white looks like, it can set all the other 16,000,000+ colors. So getting the White Balance correct get your colors correct in your photo.

In Ric's case I believe that the original photo of the oranges was taken under fluorescent lighting when a lot of green wave lengths in it. Therefore, I captured his photo and then took it into Adobe Photoshop 8.0, where I corrected the WB automatically by removing the color cast. The result is that the oranges are now their proper and expected color.

The AWB (automatic white balance) on the HX5 is good but it could not quite cope with the greenish fluorescent overhead lighting. You had to do one of two things. (1) adjust the HX5 to fluorescent WB. It is one of the pre set WB setting available right in the HX5's menu. (2) adjust the WB after the fact with a good photo editing program like PSE 8.0.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:42 PM   #138

Thanks Ric01 and deSanford for confirming the video problems. Like you Ric01, I am not sure how often I would use video, especially since I own a good 1080p dedicated camcorder.

Sarah Joyce, are you familiar with all of the scene modes on the HX5V? I am curious if they all use full-resolution. Many of the modes on the ZS7 use reduced resolution making their usefulness quite limited.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 10, 2010 at 1:45 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:16 PM   #139

Actually I'm undecided, I am surprised by comparisons with tz10 video. With the Sony TX7's the same in video? Know any comparison between the TX7 and tz10? It is better compared to hx5v TX7?
Thanks
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:01 PM   #140

FiveO-

I will have to do a specific test, but I do know for sure that the "Gourmet" Scene Mode which I use for a Macro or Close-up Mode is at full resolution.

Sarah Joyce