Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:42 PM   #141

Hi, this is my first post on this site (which is incredible by the way) and i'm making it because i have been constantly going back and forth trying to decide between the HX5v and the Canon Powershot SX210IS. I feel like i've read everything there is to read about them, but haven't been convinced of a clear winner in image quality on auto.

I am a very casual user, that would stick almost entirely to automatic settings. I really like the extra features of the HX5 including the panoramic, 10 FPS, and 1080 stabilized video. I actually think i would use them. They are worth more to me than the additional 4X optical and color accent/swap on the canon.

Buuuuut, a lot of my friends have Canon's and they love them and attest to the image quality and would never go with another brand. I really do like the pics they get out of them. I understand people might say look at test shots, but everyone always posts scenery or fruit pictures. Which are very nice, but i would use this camera more for people pics both indoors and outdoors. Including bars, concerts, and sporting events with low light situations. Basically, if anyone can assure me that the image quality on the HX5 in these types of situations can stand up or surpass that of specifically the Canon SX210, then i'd be sold. I don't want to be stuck with another camera that i basically put away in darker situations because the flash washes everything out or images are blurred without it. If anyone has experience with both that would be awesome! But any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Sarah Joyce you are incredible in this forum.
Juligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:04 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
deSanford-

In Ric's case I believe that the original photo of the oranges was taken under fluorescent lighting when a lot of green wave lengths in it. Therefore, I captured his photo and then took it into Adobe Photoshop 8.0, where I corrected the WB automatically by removing the color cast. The result is that the oranges are now their proper and expected color.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, you hit the nail on the head. The oranges shot was taken in a deli with strong fluorescent lighting using Hx5v intelligent mode. Thanks for doing the WB optimization to show us the differences in end result. Yes, next time, I know...switched to WB fluorescent mode in a fluorescent environment with "food" settings and perhaps try ISO 125 in "P"? I am experimenting as I go along...
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:22 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juligan View Post
but i would use this camera more for people pics both indoors and outdoors. Including bars, concerts, and sporting events with low light situations. Basically, if anyone can assure me that the image quality on the HX5 in these types of situations can stand up or surpass that of specifically the Canon SX210, then i'd be sold. I don't want to be stuck with another camera that i basically put away in darker situations because the flash washes everything out or images are blurred without it. If anyone has experience with both that would be awesome! But any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Sarah Joyce you are incredible in this forum.
Juligan... welcome to the forum... after doing extensive research like you do, one feature that pulled me towards Hx5v is its the low light still photos capability. If you switch to HHT mode (hand held twilight mode), without flash, Hx5V will take 6 shots burst (you will hear it clicked 6 times in quick succession), and HX5's super-fast burst shooting capabilities will stack multiple images to create a single image with lower grainy pixels and protect against hand shaking in dim conditions. I read in another review that Hx5v does not digitally simulate HDR photography, but it actually does it for real, again combining multiple exposures taken in a burst. It compare all the 6 shots and then pull the best pixelation from each of the 6 shots to compose into the best shot possible with the least "noise".

The ability to shoot near perfect pictures of people ****without flash**** is the key to the fun in taking candid photos indoors. Without flash you can take as many candid portraits as you wish with the 10x zoom. The moment you flash, human nature kicks in - people begin to act artificially.

And there's more... if you are trying to shoot an indoor pic of someone who is too important for the photo to be messed up, switched to iSCN Advanced option, which takes two photos with different settings to maximize its chances of success.

I think HHT is the future for low light still photography and other camera manufacturers will likely follow Sony's lead in the near future. The reason I am focusing on low light still photo is because you mentioned that this feature capability is your show stopper in your camera selection. Regarding other's experiences in other camera brands, my perspective is that in good lighting conditions, almost all types of P & S camera wins. An important differentiation of a camera is to have the ability to take pictures in adverse conditions

What I had done Juligan was I went to a retailer in my area that demo both Hx5V and another camera side by side. I use both cameras in turn to zoom and shoot the same dark spot in the shop, aim the cameras at underneath dark corner of a far shelf - no flash. Result - the other camera did ONE shot, so so result but the Hx5v (HHT mode) burst 6 shots, compose the 6 shots into a near perfect low light shot. Perhaps you may like to kick the tires in this manner and compare Hx5V with other cameras on the shop floor in low light situations to experience this first hand.

Please don't compare Hx5V video in low light... this is a whole different story.

My 2 cents

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 6:55 PM   #144

These roses were taken in sunlight using Hx5v. I forget to use the "food" setting and the focusing may not be perfect. The pic has been re-sized to 20% of original and sharpened using Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 using one pass. Please let me know if you like to see the unsharpened original

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 10, 2010 at 7:15 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:01 PM   #145

Thanks Ric01 for the response.

Sounds like it works pretty well in those conditions. Just gotta use the twilight mode. Is it pretty quick taking the pics? not like the panoramic where it takes like 15 sec to process? Just wondering if you'd be able to just quickly turn on, get a couple pics and be done without much setup or processing.

Also sounds like the video in low light is sub par. Which i could live with. Not investing in a video camera, but rather a p+s with video. So long as it's usable. And the sample vids, during daytime look good.
Juligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:14 PM   #146

HHT mode is quick, when you press the trigger, it click click click 6 times in quick succession and bingo, you get the final composition, almost instantaneous in my case.

Pananomic sweep takes a couple of seconds more depending on whether you set to standard size or wide size

Regular 10 shots burst for action sequences such as sports, in a bus taking shots of passing scenary or taking sucession of 10 pic of a plane landing will need 16 seconds from shooting to writing to SD card

Logically, I think the reason why the HHT mode is so instantaneous is that, eventhough Hx5 takes 6 HHT shots, only one pic being the final composition will be written to the SD card. All the pixel processing behind the scenes is done in the camera "RAM" memory.

In the regular multi 10 shots burst mode for action photography in regular light, the camera has to write 10 photos at 10M each to the card, hence the 16 seconds write time.

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:35 PM   #147

juligan-

I think Ric's approach of side by side testing in the shop is the way to go. That way you can test in real time and see the result. Personally for me, video is not my highest priority, it is a nice accessory feature.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 8:38 PM   #148

Default IQ on a Large TV

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I've been flip-flopping between getting the HX5 or the Panny TZ10. It'll be the first camera I've bought in about 5 years so not sure exactly what the current tech can do. I've heard that both the sony and the panny look okay up to 5 x 8 on print but any larger the IQ suffers. My issue is I don't intend to make any prints from the photos I take but instead intend to have them stored on a PS3 and displayed on a 42in HDTV. My worry is though that if the IQ suffers on 5 x 8 Prints then on a large tv they'll look awful. Would any of guys be able to advise if this is the case or not?

Also the one of main reasons for me getting a HX5 would also be the video capabilities, I saw a video comparison between the HX5 and TZ10 in which the HX5 seemed to have lost a bit of detail compared to the TZ10. As far as i can tell the video was shot in 1080i rather than the 1080p which i understand the sony can do in mp4 mode. could any one say if a 1080p video would have had much more detail than the 1080i? is so sample of both would be great.

Thanks in advance
nimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:00 PM   #149

nimby,

The Sony video mode is what it is. The MP4 mode is 1440 x 1080 rather than 1920 x 1080. The Panasonic is 720p and still captures more detail than the Sony. Overall, the Panasonic's video simply looks much better. It is not without its faults though. The Panasonic suffers from blooming due to the CCD sensor. I have read that this does not occur if using Motion JPEG though MJPEG has its own issues in regards to file size for example. It also tends to blow out highlights more than the Sony. Entire buildings have been known to disappear.

Neither one has great video performance when compared to a good consumer camcorder. It's going to come down to which compromises you can live with.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:27 PM   #150

FiveO mentioned the REALLY important issue-

A high quality camcorder will always beat video filmed on a digital still camera. Yes, there is a convenience factor in having both formats onm the same camera. However, at the end of the day, if image quality is your priority, then ypou have to serious consider a high quality camcorder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote