Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:20 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
nimby,

The Sony video mode is what it is. The MP4 mode is 1440 x 1080 rather than 1920 x 1080. The Panasonic is 720p and still captures more detail than the Sony. Overall, the Panasonic's video simply looks much better. It is not without its faults though. The Panasonic suffers from blooming due to the CCD sensor. I have read that this does not occur if using Motion JPEG though MJPEG has its own issues in regards to file size for example. It also tends to blow out highlights more than the Sony. Entire buildings have been known to disappear.

Neither one has great video performance when compared to a good consumer camcorder. It's going to come down to which compromises you can live with.
With the Sony TX7's the same with video? Better still the TZ10? Thanks
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:20 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
FiveO mentioned the REALLY important issue-

A high quality camcorder will always beat video filmed on a digital still camera. Yes, there is a convenience factor in having both formats onm the same camera. However, at the end of the day, if image quality is your priority, then ypou have to serious consider a high quality camcorder.

Sarah Joyce
I agree as well. Serious Video taking needs a dedicated camcorder for taking longer video clips with better sound capture quality etc. A small digital P & S camera will limit you and cut you off after every 29 sec of video clips anyway and the itsy bitsy stereo microphone of P & S is no match for the stereo or 5.1 video sound that can be captured using a dedicated camcorder.

I bought the Hx5v as a "supplement" to my dedicated camcorder, though the Hx5 1080 HD video performance under normal light conditions is quite respectable, albeit its low light video issue.

Portability is king for daily use. Even if (big IF) I can afford to have the most expensive DSLR camera with top of the line zoom lenses worth thousand of $$ etc that allow me to take take phenomenal pictures that is out of this world but due to its weight, chances are I will not fancy lugging around many pounds of gear everywhere I go - result - I will missed the opportunity to capture impromptu shots of great unexpected moments that life will present us with as we go on our daily lives.

My Hx5v is in a neat little inconspicuous black casing strapped to my belt everywhere I go which I can whipped out anytime to take nice shots or 1080 video of a curb side street performance, or people para sailing, bungee jumping I bumped into. eg the other day, I walked pass a flora shop with beautiful flowers being displayed along the side walk. I spent 20 mins clicking away at the gorgeous flowers as the sun light was at an optimal angle at that point in time. If I only had a heavier $3,000 camera that I left at home, I would have missed that opportunity. I also could not imagine me carrying my heavier and bigger dedicated camcorder daily everywhere I go.

Don't get me wrong, a top of the line professional camera had its place in our lives.. for planned photo opportunities and planned photo trips etc. For daily use, my opinion is that the portability and convenience of my Sony Hx5v (best of in its class for still pictures and 1080 video) will cause me to take more pictures and more video clips daily that I will otherwise have missed.

That's my 2 cents and I understand if other readers had other differing opinions..

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 11, 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:28 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro2001max View Post
With the Sony TX7's the same with video? Better still the TZ10? Thanks
ciro2001max, the Tx-7 video is phenomenal ! Tx-7 video samples that I first saw intensified my research on Sony new class of P & S cameras that resulted in me toying between Tx-7 and Hx5 and I selected Hx5
Old Apr 11, 2010, 1:49 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric01 View Post
ciro2001max, the Tx-7 video is phenomenal ! Tx-7 video samples that I first saw intensified my research on Sony new class of P & S cameras that resulted in me toying between Tx-7 and Hx5 and I selected Hx5
Thanks for answering, then the video quality on both Sony is the same? Is lower than the TZ10 as seen in comparisons of youtube?
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:22 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro2001max View Post
Thanks for answering, then the video quality on both Sony is the same? Is lower than the TZ10 as seen in comparisons of youtube?
Based on what we all saw in youtube, TZ10 video obviously suffered from light streaks stretching from top to the bottom of your screen due to its CCD technology. This phenomena alone can kill your video project. My old Sony camcorder using the same technology suffered the same fate. When I tried to video concerts, dance presentations, sports in stadiums.. or any situations with overhead bright lights, it was disastrous in most cases... that means, if you use a TZ10 at its current release, can you live with that limitation? Would the light streaks frustrate you when they keep showing up in your video project? No known video software yet can fix this nagging streaks problem at post production. For Hx5v darker videos at dim lights, I can crank up the brightness and contrast during video rendering using a video software. The 1080 video can facilitate a lot of creative post production tricks.

The next point is to future proof your purchase. How long do you plan to keep your camera... 3years...5 years? In theory regarding max resolution, Hx5 is 1080 while TZ10 is 720....Yes, I can see that TZ10 had done a great job in achieving a superb video capture.. nice contrast, nice colours and kudos to the manufacturer. However, you may want to research further on the topic of playing the videos on big HD 1080 TV screen that you may own or your family/friends may eventually own. Then, the next question is, which video will look better when played on a 50" HD 1080 TV screen, the native 1080 Hx5 video or the TZ10's 720p video? Honestly, I don't know...as I've never have any personal experience on this (never own any TZ10) and I have not seen any tests on this yet... Hopefully, other readers can contribute on this.

From my perspective.... if you plan to take serious videos, you may be better of using a dedicated camcorder. Though the 1080 video on a Hx5v is respectable under normal lighting conditions, there is a 29 sec cut-off and it is no match for a dedicated 1080 camcorder with 5.1 surround sound capture etc. For portability and daily shooting, I am using Hx5v as a "supplement" to my dedicated camcorder. Then, for stills photography in low light, Hx5v's HHT wins hands down.. no one can touch that yet....

P/S: ciro2001max, perhaps your situation may also depends on how soon you need a new camera.. whether you need to buy now for your upcoming use/trip or you have time to wait for may be beginning of 2011... who knows... Sony may launch a new P & S camera with better low light videos and Panasonic may launch theirs without streaks and bump up to 1080....

That's my 2 cents

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 11, 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:18 PM   #156

Quote:
there is a 29 sec cut-off and it is no match for a dedicated 1080 camcorder with 5.1 surround sound capture etc.
Hehe, my cameras have 29min59sec
Forget 5.1 with 5 mics at 1cm² ... this is for Mars men with 5 ears only *) ... for earth men STEREO is enough.

*) dirty marketing trick !
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:17 PM   #157

This discussion seems somewhat circular. Neither the HX5 nor the TZ10 are dedicated camcorders. If video is your primary focus, then you would most probably be better served with a high quality camcorder.

I prefer to see the HX5 a bit differently. It is primarily a still camera that can also take reasonable HD video when needed as a convenience. It is not primarily a camcorder, that takes an occasional still photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:40 PM   #158

From the same photographer

HX5 http://picasaweb.google.com/timspira...RandomHX5Shots#

HS10 http://picasaweb.google.com/timspirations/HS10Favorites#

last year

HX1 / E620 http://picasaweb.google.com/timspira...ongwoodGardens#
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:45 PM   #159

DonalDuc/knalberto-

I know Tim Schaeffer. I like his work and his shooting style a lot. His Fuji HS-10, the latest group, are stunning.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:51 PM   #160

Quote:
if you use a TZ10 at its current release, can you live with that limitation? Would the light streaks frustrate you when they keep showing up in your video project? No known video software yet can fix this nagging streaks problem at post production.
There certainly is anti-blooming filter software to remove these streaks.

Quote:
In theory regarding max resolution, Hx5 is 1080 while TZ10 is 720
Many people prefer 720p to 1080i.

Quote:
From my perspective.... if you plan to take serious videos, you may be better of using a dedicated camcorder. Though the 1080 video on a Hx5v is respectable under normal lighting conditions, there is a 29 sec cut-off
29 minutes. Supposedly you can flash your US HX5V with the Japanese firmware and remove this limitation. I haven't tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. This is a common practice in the world of computers and works quite well.

Quote:
Then, for stills photography in low light, Hx5v's HHT wins hands down.. no one can touch that yet....
Actually there is little debate that Fuji's SuperCCD kicks the crap out of Sony's backlit sensor. Unfortunately, the Fuji is not really P&S-friendly.

Quote:
and Panasonic may launch theirs without streaks and bump up to 1080....
1080p is pretty much a given for next year's Panasonic. The streak removal is iffy at best. I don't see Panasonic switching from CCD if they want to retain their edge in IQ and I am sure they do. An anti-blooming gate would cost them color, etc which would degrade the overall video quality. An option would be awesome but sadly, too few manufacturers give us these type of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Forget 5.1 with 5 mics at 1cm² ... this is for Mars men with 5 ears only *) ... for earth men STEREO is enough.

*) dirty marketing trick !
I will agree only if you are talking about a consumer camera/camcorder with 5.1 since you are not going to get proper separation with this type of setup. If you are simply arguing against surround sound in general, then I would simply say that you probably can't afford 5 speakers.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 11, 2010 at 9:54 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote