Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:00 PM   #161

Do all of these competing cameras (HX5, SX210IS, TX7) have a 29 second cut off on video? Is there a known (and safe) way to get around it?
Juligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:22 PM   #162

Sorry, my typo... thanks to FiveO and Donalduc for pointing this out.. I was meaning to say 29 mins cut-off and Donalduc's precise timing was 29 mins and 59 sec.

Apologize for the typo..
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:26 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
There certainly is anti-blooming filter software to remove these streaks.

Thanks FiveO for pointing this out. I am not aware of the existence and effectiveness of this anti-blooming software. I stand to be corrected.

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:26 PM   #164

Wow, that's a relief haha.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Juligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:32 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
This discussion seems somewhat circular. Neither the HX5 nor the TZ10 are dedicated camcorders. If video is your primary focus, then you would most probably be better served with a high quality camcorder.

I prefer to see the HX5 a bit differently. It is primarily a still camera that can also take reasonable HD video when needed as a convenience. It is not primarily a camcorder, that takes an occasional still photo.

Sarah Joyce
I agree with Sarah. I am currently using my Hx5 as my primary inconspicuous still camera strap to my belt and use its 1080 video as my secondary to supplement my dedicated (bigger and heavier) camcorder.

I tend to leave my heavier camcorder at home most of the time as it is not convenient for me to strap it on my belt everywhere I go as I do not want to risk to be mistaken as Rambo with all those stuff hanging down my belt when I walk around town

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:50 PM   #166

Hi folks,

In testing the Hx5's anti-shake capability this morning, I boarded a subway train and when it reached it's full speed of 60 miles per hour, I took a series of 10 multi-burst shots at a distant mountain through an enclosed window pane using intelligent mode. I use 0 zoom and then 6X zoom followed by 8x zoom. The pics were taken in 9 am morning sun spring time, not in full sunlight yet.

Result: While the subway train was rattling and rumbling at full speed, I was fighting hard to keep my camera holding hands still. Pretty difficult to keep still as the subway train was not a smooth ride at all. When I aimed at the mountain thru' the window at intelli mode, Hx5 first sensed the window and the macro icon come on. Then, it intelligently realized that I was trying to shoot a distant mountain and the landscape icon came on.

Below are the four pic.. No.1 and No. 2 without zoom and No. 3 with 6x zoom and 4 with 8x zoom. The following pics are originals without any sharpening or editing, only re-sizing to 20% of their original sizes to fit with posting requirements

PIC No. 1 without zoom through the window of 60 miles per hour subway train

PIC No. 2 without zoom through the window of 60 miles per hour subway train

PIC No. 3 with 6x zoom through the window of 60 miles per hour subway train

PIC No. 4 with 8x zoom through the window of 60 miles per hour subway train

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 12, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:05 AM   #167

That is an excellent test, Ric-

Considering what you describe about the ride, you had good results. By the way that 29 minute, 59 second limit on video is a European Union requirement. That is where it comes from.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:55 PM   #168

It's an invention from the dudes in EU, protecting VIDEORECORDERs - they never built in Europe!

A camera with more then 29:59 is a videorecorder ----> +14% extra tax! Since last yearthousand ... or since time of robber barons?
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:23 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juligan View Post
Do all of these competing cameras (HX5, SX210IS, TX7) have a 29 second cut off on video? Is there a known (and safe) way to get around it?
If the camera allows you to select NTSC/PAL, then you can possibly flash the cam with firmware from Japan/US that does not have the limitation.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:13 PM   #170

how do you normally "flash" firmware... it is a matter of updating with Japan firmware files to replace the existing ones? Would that invalidate the warranty of the camera?