Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:28 PM   #201

Tallymom-

There is no compact zoom digital camera that can equal the low light level performance of a high quality dedicated camcorder.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:32 PM   #202

Tallymom: Have you tried adjusting the EV (brightness settings) while shooting video? I just tried it on mine and it helped quite a bit.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:58 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
Tallymom: Have you tried adjusting the EV (brightness settings) while shooting video? I just tried it on mine and it helped quite a bit.
Tallymom, I followed meanstreak's advice and increased the EV and Hx5 cranked up the brightness while shooting video in dim lighting. Do let us know if this works for you after you had a chance to try it....
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:15 PM   #204

I just tried it adjusting the EV to +2 but still see a lot of noise. Guaranteed my house really doesn't have the best lighting, so I think I could possibly live with the noise. The bigger issue I seem to have is when I zoom all the way in, everything's really soft or very blurry the closest I am. Is that normal? I'm used to a DSLR so please pardon if that's a silly question.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:11 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallymom View Post
I need some advice. I've been pleased with the HX5 for the most part but the real reason I went for it was for the video and lowlight ability. However, I finally got around to trying the video inside my house and at a restaurant and am quite disappointed with it. I found it to be soft and have a lot of noise. Outside, it's great. So, I'm thinking of returning it but before I do, are there any compact cameras out there that may perform better in low light/artificial light conditions? I did like the Panny ZS7 in comparison to the HX5 at night.
Today in a probe that varying the 0EV TX7 greatly increased brightness. You tested?

No read up, and had recommended him.

Last edited by ciro2001max; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:16 PM   #206

Quote:
I just tried it adjusting the EV to +2 but still see a lot of noise. Guaranteed my house really doesn't have the best lighting, so I think I could possibly live with the noise. The bigger issue I seem to have is when I zoom all the way in, everything's really soft or very blurry the closest I am. Is that normal? I'm used to a DSLR so please pardon if that's a silly question.
I am also very curious as to how other P & S still camera video perform under the lighting conditions in your house compared to the Hx5. If you can borrow somebody else's P & S with video eg Panasonic DMC TZ10 and shoot the video of the same spot you shot with the Hx5, then you can be your own judge of the two video clips by the different cameras and decide whether you will be happy keeping the Hx5 for its video capability.

People like me bought Hx5 primarily for its low light still photo capability (HHT) and using it to shoot video as a secondary bonus feature because I already have a dedicated video camcorder. So, you and I have different criteria in evaluating this camera. I understand you will be using Hx5 mainly for its 1080 video
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:40 PM   #207

Default Spring time is here !!

Hx5v: Food mode..difficult shot because there was a slight breeze and the turnips moved a bit... is this shot too bright?...comments solicited as I am keen to learn, thanks

Hx5v: "P" mode with slow syn flash

Hx5v: "P"" mode without flash and reduce EV to -1

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 15, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:34 PM   #208

Quote:
The bigger issue I seem to have is when I zoom all the way in, everything's really soft or very blurry the closest I am. Is that normal? I'm used to a DSLR so please pardon if that's a silly question.
Don't zoom all the way in low-light - not even with a dedicated camcorder. Focus hunting will ensue if AF is on and if it's not, you will simply be presented with blurriness.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:51 AM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Don't zoom all the way in low-light - not even with a dedicated camcorder. Focus hunting will ensue if AF is on and if it's not, you will simply be presented with blurriness.
Thanks for confirming this . I have a list of things to try for still images inside that I hope work. For video, it is what it is. Dh and I really like it in good light. In low light, it's not great, but it appears that that might be the case with all of the compact cameras that have HD video.
tallymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:16 PM   #210

you will have the same problem with every camera in 2010 with a 10MP cmos 1/2.33"
they are all the same - from Sony.