Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:47 PM   #211

Ric-

It appears that in the red tulip photo flash was used? Is that correct? Here is one of your other photos helped along by some Photo Editing.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:13 PM   #212

Dormant scenes at a normally very busy airport..

Because of a volcanic eruption in Iceland, the airspace in north-western Europe got closed down. What was left felt like a ghost airport (amsterdam), with all aircraft covered, to keep the volcanic glass particles out of the critical intakes. The pictures aren't vey special in photographic sense, but the event itself is likely to end up in the historybooks. And the Hx5 was in my pocket to record it
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:14 PM   #213

Default VQ?

Hi everybody, absolutely new in this forum! I've ordered
the HX5V, but delivery is delayed until next week at the earliest. So I spend my time reading about it (read every post in this thread) getting second and third thoughts.. This waiting is really frustrating...

My main concern is the video quality. I was hoping to be able to use it for simple family filming, like holidays and events, you know no masterpieces. But also that it would look OK on a 32" HD-ready tv (ev 1080 TV when I buy one). Got an old Sony DV camcorder that costed like 2 500 USD ten years ago, but it doesn't look that good on todays TV screens due to the resolution. The old Sony doesn't look that good either in low light...

I definitely don't want to carry a camcorder around nor spend the money on a new one, I'm mainly a DSLR still photographer who wants something small, simple and capable as a complement. I'm just getting nervous about everything that's said about video quality and that there are other compacts with better quality. Anyone think I really could get a 720p compact that looks better on a TV screen than the HX5V recorded in 1920x1080i?

Sorry for the extensive text, I'm just blabbering since I'm nervous...
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:16 PM   #214

birger-

Welcome to the Foum and to the Sony P+S folder. We're glad you dropped by.

The recent "pseudo test" on You Tube caused a panic about the low light capability of the HX5 in low light level situations. What that "pseudo test," tilted toward Panasonic, failed to make use of the Exposure Compensation system. In a low light situation, a bit of +Exposure Compensation can do wonders for getting the correct exposure rather than under exposure.

No, the HX5 is a convenience item. It will never equal the optical performance of a high quality dedicated camcorder, the HX5 is just not capable of that video quality. However, it is hailed by many as a real step forward in video clip production in a digicam.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:29 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Ric-

It appears that in the red tulip photo flash was used? Is that correct? Here is one of your other photos helped along by some Photo Editing.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah... yes you are correct, a flash was used for the red tulip. Come to think of it, I should not have used the flash. Your photo editing helps in the third photo. Did you brighten it a little?

Ric
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:51 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birger View Post
the HX5V, but delivery is delayed until next week at the earliest. So I spend my time reading about it (read every post in this thread) getting second and third thoughts.. This waiting is really frustrating...

My main concern is the video quality. I was hoping to be able to use it for simple family filming, like holidays and events, you know no masterpieces. But also that it would look OK on a 32" HD-ready tv (ev 1080 TV when I buy one). Got an old Sony DV camcorder that costed like 2 500 USD ten years ago, but it doesn't look that good on todays TV screens due to the resolution. The old Sony doesn't look that good either in low light...

I definitely don't want to carry a camcorder around nor spend the money on a new one, I'm mainly a DSLR still photographer who wants something small, simple and capable as a complement. I'm just getting nervous about everything that's said about video quality and that there are other compacts with better quality. Anyone think I really could get a 720p compact that looks better on a TV screen than the HX5V recorded in 1920x1080i?

Welcome Birger to the forum. Like your self, I have a 6 year old Sony DV camcorder that works great, 720p DV means uncompressed digital video on DV tape which I can keep. I bought my Hx5V for portability, best in class low light HHT still shots and 1080 high def video to future proof my purchase to supplement my old video camcorder.

Though I have not seen any real life tests on how a 1080p video clip will perform on a HD 1080 TV compared to a 720p video clip, pixel resolution logic will make me inclined to lean towards 1080p favour...but I honestly don't know how the rubber hits the road and can't comment much on that.

Yes, I am disturbed by the low light video comparison between Hx5 and Pana TZ10. I watch part 1 to part 8 as I am interested in video being a video guy as well. To compensate for the low light issue of the Hx5, I implemented the following two possibilities

1) As Sarah mentioned, I increases EV settings to help in low light video shooting.
2) It is easier to increase the brightness and contrast for dark spots in the video clip during post production video editing compared to removing light streaks shot by Carls lens video by some P & S cameras

Another point that I asked myself is how often would I use Hx5v video to shoot in dim situations. Lastly, when I compared the low light performance between my old Carl lens Sony camcorder and Hx5v, Hx5v still wins.

However, a factor that is not in Hx5v favour is the itsy bitsy stereo mics. They cannot match with my old Sony video camcorder stereo mics. But then Hx5 is so much more portable.. that I can it carry around inconspicuously strapped to my belt everywhere I go...and able to capture many good unexpected shots and 1080 video clips that I would otherwise havve missed during my daily life. I can't strap my old Sony Camcorder on my belt.. I don't want to look like Rambo because I have not enough muscles to fake the look.

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:02 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birger View Post

You are going to be very displeased if you are expecting good indoor video quality with this camera. The same goes for any P&S pocket camera but the Sony is particularly bad when compared to some others. People will swear up and down that it's not possible and there must have been some error with that now-famous comparison video but no one can provide even a halfway decent low-light video from that Sony. Don't get me wrong - it's a good cam for its class but the indoor video is terrible. In fairness, my $900 Panasonic camcorder only looks pretty good in low-light.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:41 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric01 View Post
Another point that I asked myself is how often would I use Hx5v video to shoot in dim situations. Lastly, when I compared the low light performance between my old Carl lens Sony camcorder and Hx5v, Hx5v still wins.

However, a factor that is not in Hx5v favour is the itsy bitsy stereo mics. They cannot match with my old Sony video camcorder stereo mics. But then Hx5 is so much more portable.. that I can it carry around inconspicuously strapped to my belt everywhere I go...and able to capture many good unexpected shots and 1080 video clips that I would otherwise havve missed during my daily life. I can't strap my old Sony Camcorder on my belt.. I don't want to look like Rambo because I have not enough muscles to fake the look.
Thanks Sarah and Ric! It's like this, I wouldn't like the family to think the video clips from our upcoming vacation looks like crap when we get back home. After having spent more than 7 000 dollars on DSLR equipment I'm not in the position to make bad buys...

On the other hand, who knows if we're able to fly to Greece in 5 weeks, right? Right now nobody can predict anything about the ash cloud! No traffic whatsoever to and from Sweden and most other European countries this weekend.

Ric, glad you have the same experience with your old camcorder in low light. Mine is called DCR-PC9E by the way, I can't remember when I bought it, think it's at least 10 years ago. Anyway, it does have the Super NightShot, a feature I won't miss on my HX5V..

Anyway, I'm pleased with my choice of camera, have had a couple of Sonys in the T series before and really liked them. Until I dropped them by accident, must be something about the shape..

Thanks for your support!
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:50 AM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
You are going to be very displeased if you are expecting good indoor video quality with this camera. The same goes for any P&S pocket camera but the Sony is particularly bad when compared to some others. People will swear up and down that it's not possible and there must have been some error with that now-famous comparison video but no one can provide even a halfway decent low-light video from that Sony. Don't get me wrong - it's a good cam for its class but the indoor video is terrible. In fairness, my $900 Panasonic camcorder only looks pretty good in low-light.
Thanks FiveO, I think I know now what to expect! As Ric said, the old DV camcorders were even worse, and I think I'll do the right thing, using the video feature primarily outdoors and in decent lightning conditions.

This is what I get as long as I don't get one of those new dedicated camcorders, and I'm not into that, would rather buy a new DSLR lens instead for the money..
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:51 AM   #220

Ric-

Yes, the flash should have not been used in that outdoor shot, that close to the leading red tulip, as it really skewered the exposure. With the photo of the blue bells? I adjusted the levels, balance hightligt and shadows, sharpened, and added a touch on contrast.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce