Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:23 PM   #221

sadly you can not brighten up the video with the EV if it gets dark
a test did show, you can make it darker, but not brighter (remember the video caps in the bathroom with the candle and the green night light?)
the cmos is not very light sensitive but it is fast, so in foto mode sony uses itīs fastness to produce good low light fotos.
but this trick can not be done in video mode.
so for all who need a good low light video mode the exmor cameras will be a letdown.
if you have enough light then the sony will be fun to use in video mode
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:24 PM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birger View Post

Ric, glad you have the same experience with your old camcorder in low light. Mine is called DCR-PC9E by the way, I can't remember when I bought it, think it's at least 10 years ago. Anyway, it does have the Super NightShot, a feature I won't miss on my HX5V..
My old camcorder is Sony TRV38 (6 or 7 years old).. supposed to be the best in this time for low light video but was beaten by Hx5v low light video.
If it does not break, I will be keeping this DV minitape old camcorder for a few reasons:-
1) It is a work horse
2) DV tapes are getting cheaper and I can archive footage on tapes with a digital copy in my PC hard-drive using firewire
3) I am editing and rendering 720p video and build regular definition DVD anyway because my family and friends do not have HD TV or HD player yet
4) It takes a lot of PC horse power, Quard core or Intel i series processors to edit AVCHD high def videos if I used a high def camcorder at this stage
5) The AVCHD video clips taken by Hx5 has to be converted from 1440p to 720p platform so that it can be rendered with that produced by the DV minitape

Quote:
Anyway, I'm pleased with my choice of camera, have had a couple of Sonys in the T series before and really liked them. Until I dropped them by accident, must be something about the shape..

Thanks for your support!
Congratulations on your decision on keeping the Hx5. Yes, I am also fearful of dropping my Hx5. I am using a mini tripod or extendable telescopic stick to screw into the Hx5 for extra grip, steadier video shot. I am also thinking of sticking velcro onto the camera spots that my fingers used to grab the camera... being careful not to cover the mics with velcro
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:28 PM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa View Post
a test did show, you can make it darker, but not brighter (remember the video caps in the bathroom with the candle and the green night light?)
the cmos is not very light sensitive but it is fast, so in foto mode sony uses itīs fastness to produce good low light fotos.
so for all who need a good low light video mode the exmor cameras will be a letdown.
I guess the other possible option is to adjust the video brightness and contrast of the Hx5 video during post-production during video rendering. I used the same method to bump up the brightness for my old video footage taken by my old Sony DV camcorder. I think brightness/contrast adjustment would be easier to achieve than to try to fix the light streaks running across the screen for other carls lens camera
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 3:59 PM   #224

Ric-

The Canon S-90 and the Panasonic LX3 do much, much better in low light environments because the have fast wide aperture lenses and substantially larger imagers.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:37 PM   #225

Quote:
Thanks FiveO, I think I know now what to expect! As Ric said, the old DV camcorders were even worse, and I think I'll do the right thing, using the video feature primarily outdoors and in decent lightning conditions.

This is what I get as long as I don't get one of those new dedicated camcorders, and I'm not into that, would rather buy a new DSLR lens instead for the money..
I agree. I will use my P&S camera for casual videos and bring my camcorder along (which only weights 1lb itself) for the events that I specifically plan on videoing. FYI, if you want a great camera with fantastic video check out the Panasonic GH1. Way out of my budget but I'd love to have one.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:50 PM   #226

Quote:
Originally Posted by costa View Post
Strange.... I tried raising the EV for video and mine was brighter. I'll test it again tomorrow.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:55 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I agree. I will use my P&S camera for casual videos and bring my camcorder along (which only weights 1lb itself) for the events that I specifically plan on videoing. FYI, if you want a great camera with fantastic video check out the Panasonic GH1. Way out of my budget but I'd love to have one.
Thanks, but I'll stick with my D300 for now. Hopefully when it's time to upgrade Nikon will have an FX camera with fully functioning video. That'll be the day!

Haven't got my HX5V yet, anyway. Out of stock in all Swedish stores, and the infrastructure is somewhat out of order due to... THE CLOUD !!!!!

Funny thing, btw, the Panny TZ10 costs like 150 USD more than the HX5V here in Sweden, that's not the case in the US/Canada, right?
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:16 PM   #228

Some HX5v night images; P-mode, iso forced at 125, handheld (using burst, and selecting the non-blurred afterwards).

1 original resize /sharpen - 1/4s f/3.5 ISO125 4.66mm
2 100% crop only
3 original resize /sharpen - 1/4s f/3.5 ISO125 4.25mm
4 100% crop only

5 If the big birds don't fly, there's room for a bit of fun; riding the bicycle on a big runway

Happy Shooting, GB
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:49 PM   #229

Nicely done, Green Baron-

Thanks for posting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:01 AM   #230

Thank you Sarah;

I'v been looking to catch the best dusk/dawn moment at the field, and I think I got it yesterday evening; I just wonder if the wideangle doesn't get the tower too tilted; Perhaps it's best to keep it centered in the frame? Anyway, this one is for the colors. Resize / sharpened only.

1/4s f/3.5 ISO125 4.25mm - used the highspeed burst again for best (non blurred) frame selection; the method works really well i must say

I'm very happy to mention flights are picking up again after 4 days of silence because of the volcanic cloud. Watch the fuji forum, I might try -and hopefully succeed- to catch some action (finally )

Cheerio! GB
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote