Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:23 AM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birger View Post
...and my HX5v has been delayed, estimated delivery in 2-3 weeks. A little bit nervous since I'm going away 4 weeks from now.

I can understand that Sony's got problems with production, but Panasonic TZ10, Canon SX210, Casio EX-FH100 are all in stock. So, since it's only a complement to my DSLR I might have to reconsider and choose one of the others. Or the TX5 with its pros and cons compared to big brother HX5v.

So, which one would you have chosen if there were no HX5v?

Sorry for all the complaining, just a little frustrated..
The Casio EX-FH100 seems very good option, the blast is incredible and the picture quality too.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:30 AM   #242

For what its worth, I have never had much luck with Casio. I steer clear of Casio. Casio reliability has never been good for me. And I have over 100 cameras. So I have a few cameras to compare quality and reliability to quite easily.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:33 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
For what its worth, I have never had much luck with Casio. I steer clear of Casio. Casio reliability has never been good for me. And I have over 100 cameras. So I have a few cameras to compare quality and reliability to quite easily.

Sarah Joyce
Have you seen the Casio EX-FH100? looks very good, but that function high-speed 1000 frames per sec.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:41 PM   #244

Yes, I've got some doubts about Casio too, especially the IQ. Perhaps that's not an issue with Casio nowadays with their CMOS sensors, but...

No, if the Sony doesn't show up in time for my vacation I'll probably wait and borrow my 6-year old daughters Oly compact with Swarowski crystals.. There are too many features I'm longing for, like the sweep panorama, video, GPS..

One thing about the sweep panorama.. one thought that came to me was that it would be fun to try taking group shots with it, especially a large group spreading wide. Do you, Sarah, and other owners of the HX5v think it would work out OK if people stayed relatively still? Or would the lower resolution make the faces unrecognisable?
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:16 PM   #245

Birger-

I actually have not tried any portion of the GPS features. So I guess you can give it a try and let us see the result. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:20 AM   #246

Hi, I am brand new on this forum and have enjoyed reading this thread on the Sony HX5 very much - lots of good information that I did not find while reading many reviews of the camera in question.

I, like many, have been deliberating between the Panasonic ZS3, ZS7 and the Sony HX5V - many of the reviews I have read often compare the two cameras, but do not specify which camera is the better of the two. I've also read that the Panasonic ZS3 has better image quality than the ZS7, but lacks a few features which I want in my next camera (which are in the ZS7 and HX5).

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to post some comparison shots between these three cameras, or direct me to where I can find some comparison pictures. I realize that all three cameras are pretty good. Are there any other cameras that are competing directly with these, and are in the same price range ($250-$350 US)? I have only owned Canon and Sony digicams and have been happy with both...though I think I liked my Sony the best. I will be upgrading from my current camera, a Canon SD600 which I have enjoyed but on my last trip disappointed me with its lack of abilities in shooting any sort of low-light pictures and lack of modern features like Intelligent Auto, etc.

This thread has been great, I especially have enjoyed the airport pictures - the level of detail of those planes is incredible! I have really become a fan of the HX5 after reading this thread. I just want to make sure I will be making the best purchase possible. Thanks so much!
perdolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:28 PM   #247

perdolum-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Sony P+S folder. We're glas you dropped by.

If you had asked last week I could have given you photo samples from the Panasonic ZS3 and the HX5, but I have sold off the ZS3, keeping the HX5. Because they are so similar, it will be very difficult indeed to find somebody who can provide photo samples from all three cameras.

All in all I have been very happy with the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:37 PM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Birger-

I actually have not tried any portion of the GPS features. So I guess you can give it a try and let us see the result. Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah, I meant a group picture with the sweep panorama function. One of the features on the Sony I'm really looking forward to use. And I'll try it as soon as I get the camera and find a large group of people..
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:58 PM   #249

Hello! Another newbie here. First let me say what a great site and forum this is! (And a friendly one too.) I have found so much helpful information here. Like others in this thread, I am looking to upgrade my current camera and have been debating among the Sony HX5, the Canon SX210 or S90, and Panasonic ZS3 or ZS7. Basically, I need a point-and-shoot that is fairly fast, does well indoors (since that is where I take most of my photos ) and still has good image quality. I am missing a lot of good shots of my one-year-old with what I have now and really need to upgrade. The HX5 sounds great and seems like it might be what I am looking for, but I am curious if any of the HX5 users here have experience in taking indoor photos of young children with this camera and/or if they think it would be a good camera for doing so. Thanks!
jengrant01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:28 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengrant01 View Post
Hello! Another newbie here. First let me say what a great site and forum this is! (And a friendly one too.) I have found so much helpful information here. Like others in this thread, I am looking to upgrade my current camera and have been debating among the Sony HX5, the Canon SX210 or S90, and Panasonic ZS3 or ZS7. Basically, I need a point-and-shoot that is fairly fast, does well indoors (since that is where I take most of my photos ) and still has good image quality. I am missing a lot of good shots of my one-year-old with what I have now and really need to upgrade. The HX5 sounds great and seems like it might be what I am looking for, but I am curious if any of the HX5 users here have experience in taking indoor photos of young children with this camera and/or if they think it would be a good camera for doing so. Thanks!
Hi jengrant and welcome! With all respect for the new P&S compacts - I'm going for the HX5v myself - but have you ever considered a DSLR instead??

The reason I'm asking is that I got my first DSLR when my daughter was like 9 months old, and it was the absolute best thing I ever did photowise. If you really are going for good indoor shots in low light, if you want to be able to take the picture exactly when you want without delay - then a DSLR is absolutely superior.

I missed quite a lot of good shots those first months with my digital P&S due to slowness, noise and unreliable autofocus. This was almost 6 years ago, so of course the P&S are much better today, but they still can't be compared with even the cheapest of DSLR:s, even when they cost twice as much.

But if a DSLR is too big and heavy for you, you should go for a quality P&S of course, the best camera is the one you got with you. And all the ones you are mentioning are good ones. But considering your list of priorities, the S90 might very well be your choice. It's got the best low light performance of them all and is fairly fast. A good choice if you don't prioritize features like HD video or longer zoom range.

Good luck!

Last edited by Birger; Apr 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM.