Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:55 PM   #251
SGF

I'm having trouble getting good pictures inside of people. When I put it on IA and just shoot most of the times it comes out not clear or sharp like it should. Any suggestions? Outside or landscape photos are good.

Was thinking of using the P mode and flash if so what ISO would you suggest?

I'm new to all this so really appreciate this forum and any suggestions.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:02 PM   #252

Hello, recently I've just seen the H55 in a Sonystile, had no hx5v. The quality of housing is the same in both cameras? because they tell that I found poor quality of the plastic housing. Nothing to do with the quality of the TX7.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:57 PM   #253

SGF

The HX5 does not have a very powerful built-in flash unit. Therefore, you have to restrict the Flash Range (the distance between subject and camera, measured in feet) to no more than 10 feet maximum.

If you desire increased Flash Range you will need to add an accessory Slave Flash unit to boost the Hx5's flash output. I have attached a photo of my HX5 with a simple less than $20.00 Slave Flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:02 PM   #254
SGF

I don't think it's an extra flash that is the problem as the flash doesn't even go off when I have it in IA mode for indoor shots of people. That is why I was wondering if I should use the P mode and force the flash on. What ISO would you suggest? Since the people are within the normal flash range I assume it's me not setting the camera properly.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:40 AM   #255

Hi Birger! And thanks for your reply! When I started my search for a new camera, I had considered a DSLR but decided to go with a P&S since most DSLRs are just a bit outside my budget right now and since I have had no experience using manual controls (I would eventually like to learn how to use them though). I like the S90 for the most part – the only thing holding me back on it is the short zoom. I am still deciding how much of a factor that is for me. The camera I have now has a 10x zoom and, while I do not use it a lot, it does come in handy from time to time. Especially since my daughter likes to try and grab my camera if I am too close to her when trying to take her picture! J What made you decide to go with the HX5? Do you think it is a good P&S if I will mainly be taking indoor pictures of kids?
jengrant01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:56 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro2001max View Post
Have you seen the Casio EX-FH100? looks very good, but that function high-speed 1000 frames per sec.
I want a camera that will fit in my pocket with a 10x lens. Narrowed it down to the HX5V or Casio EX-FH100. Ideally would also be weather resistant but have not found that combo yet. I really like how the Ex-FH100 can constantly shoot because I don't know how many times I missed a shot by 1/2 a second or so, and with the Casio, it has already taken several photos before you even pressed the shutter button. But I didn't like the fact that apparently you can't use the zoom when shooting videos, and I know nothing about the quality of Casio products. I have a 17 year old Sony Hi-8 camcorder than will not die so it seems like Sony builds good stuff. So I'm leaning toward the Sony despite the Casio having what appears to be some more advanced features. Would be nice to see a shootout between those two cameras.
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:08 AM   #257

SGF-

You are much better using the P for Programed auto mode and keeping the Flash Range to 10 feet or less. I would begin with Auto ISO or a fixed of ISO 200 and numerically advance the ISO, if the photos are under exposed (dark).

I have attached a photo sample taken at 20 feet Flash Range, using the Slave Flash to boost the flash level for correct exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:14 AM   #258

pilotsmith-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Sony P+S Folder. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Unfortunately, I don't own the needed Casio camera so I cannot provide you with a side by side photo comparison. However, I am a very happy HX5 user and have been very pleased with the HX5's performance.

Please tell me about your screen name. Are you indeed a pilot? I am a retired Boeing 747 Captain myself. I flew 32 years for Trans World Airlines.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:16 AM   #259

jengrant-

Welcome to the Sony P+S folder.

The thread has now gotten quite long, but as you can see from the many photo samples, the Sony HX5 is a very capable point and shoot compact zoom camera. We invite your questions and are hoping that your choice might indeed be the Sony HX5 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:05 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
pilotsmith-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Sony P+S Folder. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Unfortunately, I don't own the needed Casio camera so I cannot provide you with a side by side photo comparison. However, I am a very happy HX5 user and have been very pleased with the HX5's performance.

Please tell me about your screen name. Are you indeed a pilot? I am a retired Boeing 747 Captain myself. I flew 32 years for Trans World Airlines.

Sarah Joyce
Hello Sarah,

Here is a list of some of the birds I've flown or still fly: Sopwith Camel, Piper J3 Cub, P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, F/A-18 Hornet, F-22 Raptor, and a Hughes MD 500. I still fly the Hornet and the eggbeater. I have to admit that I have crashed most everything I have flown. However, the Hornet and Hughes are still holding up quite well to my abuse. These are all remote control so that is why I'm still alive. The screen name is from my RC hobby forum. Would have loved to fly the real thing but instead I have an office job and vicariously enjoy flying through my hobby.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the HX5V. A negative I've read a couple places was that at times in auto mode it doesn't pick the best mode, and it is best to pick the mode yourself. I would not expect a camera to not make mistakes in auto mode so that doesn't sound like a big deal. Have you played around with taking videos with it yet?
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote