Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:50 AM   #261

pilotsmith-

No I have not tried video on the HX5, because we have a good number of very fine camcorders. That is my husband's hobby. So I count on him for video footage and it is excellent.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:53 PM   #262

I have been following this thread for a bit, and it has a ton of great info. I am still on the fence between the HX5 and Pan ZS5 (and only these two).

I should add that I am upgrading from an Olympus Stylus 710 with 7MP and a 3x optical zoom. I mainly printed 4x6, & an occasional 5x7, and these pictures look great on my 17” monitor. I love this camera and have never questioned the IQ. (Of course I know it’s night shots are overly grainy, which is part of the reason I thought an upgrade is in order)

So I decided I wanted to upgrade to a camera with higher zoom and better stabilization technology. I feel that whichever camera I choose (HX5 or ZS5) will be better, and I expect the IQ (based on what I outlined above) wouldn’t be worse, but better than the Olympus I own.

After reading many many reviews, and trying both the HX5 and ZS5 I am still on the fence. I believe part of my confusion is because many people talk in depth about IQ, when looking at 100% crops. To me IQ means when I look at a picture I want it to be in focus/sharp and have good coloring (I also post-process in PS8 and tweak these as needed). I use my pics to remind me of my memories, and don't think about how that tree in the distance looks too blurry.

I like how the ZS5 is built and I like the feel overall, but the Sweep panorama and HHT modes on the HX5 are holding me back from going with the Panasonic. Some other things on the HX5 that are holding be back is that I feel the colors are not as vibrant on the HX5 as with Panasonic – they just don’t ‘pop.’ Maybe this can be taken care of in PS? I don’t know the best control to use I suppose. I have also read the HX5 isn’t as sharp, but I don’t know that I can tell a difference, and again maybe this can be solved in PS.

So I am just confused and really want to make a decision. Maybe I am splitting hairs... This is a lot of info, but I would be interested in what people think or any advice, based on how I explained I view IQ. Thanks in advance!
world_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:59 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengrant01 View Post
Hi Birger! And thanks for your reply! When I started my search for a new camera, I had considered a DSLR but decided to go with a P&S since most DSLRs are just a bit outside my budget right now and since I have had no experience using manual controls (I would eventually like to learn how to use them though). I like the S90 for the most part the only thing holding me back on it is the short zoom. I am still deciding how much of a factor that is for me. The camera I have now has a 10x zoom and, while I do not use it a lot, it does come in handy from time to time. Especially since my daughter likes to try and grab my camera if I am too close to her when trying to take her picture! J What made you decide to go with the HX5? Do you think it is a good P&S if I will mainly be taking indoor pictures of kids?
Unfortunately I haven't laid my hands on the Sony yet, it's out of stock everywhere, at least here in Scandinavia. But my reasons for choosing the HX5v is the HD video (I just want decent video in my P&S since my DSLR haven't got video and my camcorder is rather bulky and old), the 10X zoom, sweep panorama and the fact that I've always liked Sony P&S:s including the ones I've owned. And at a good price..

Canon makes really good cameras too, had a couple of them and they have a good feeling about them too.

But at least herein Sweden you get a DSLR like Sony A230, Nikon D3000 and so on at a lower price than even the S90. Cameras like Canon G11 and Panasonic LX3 are much more expensive, you get two Nikon D3000 with kit lens for the price of one Canon G11. So, if the size of a DSLR isn't a problem I think you should give it another thought. You can use the auto on a DSLR too, no need to take it manually. And you can get an external flash (I've got two ) to really improve your indoor shots far beyond any P&S could dream of.

One issue though is that you get a rather short zoom in a DSLR kit unless you add some money, but it's still cheaper than a Canon G11 (for example Nikon D3000 with 18-105 or two lens kit covering 18-200 mm.)

Second opinions are of course welcome, but for indoor shots of children a DSLR is superior. If you stick with the idea of a P&S a Canon S90 i think might be the best choice due to its larger CMOS sensor (technical mumbo-jumbo ).

So, the Sony is a complement to my DSLR equipment but I will definitely have great fun with it - and use of it, it can pull of a couple of tricks my DSLR can't. But for fast indoor shooting with low noise of my daughter I go for my Nikon D300.
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:44 PM   #264

world_go-

I actually sold both my TZ-5 and TZ-7 (ZS3) to get the Sony HX-5. It was a very wise move in my opinion. I have been very pleased with the HX5's image quality and I also judge image quality not at the 100% level, but at the normal viewing level of the typical 4" X 6" print.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...51_j62bq-L.jpg

I am pleased with the HX5's colors and it many unique features.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:00 PM   #265
SGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
SGF-

You are much better using the P for Programed auto mode and keeping the Flash Range to 10 feet or less. I would begin with Auto ISO or a fixed of ISO 200 and numerically advance the ISO, if the photos are under exposed (dark).

I have attached a photo sample taken at 20 feet Flash Range, using the Slave Flash to boost the flash level for correct exposure.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try the P mode and see what happens. Other than that I'm pleased with the outdoor pictures and the photos in low light.

I did have to take some action shots several times as they came out blurry but the final ones were ok.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:06 PM   #266

Is there an option for a slave flash for the HX5V?
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:35 PM   #267

pilotsmith-

Sure any Slave Flash will work with the HX5 camera and extend its Flash Range (the distance between camera and subject measured in feet) to around 20 feet.

Using just the built-in flash unit the HX5 has a maximum Flash Range of 10 feet. Adding a Slave Flash can extend the Flash Range to 20 feet. Attached is a photo of the inexpensive Slave Flash that I use mounted to the HX5 camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 24, 2010 at 9:45 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:08 PM   #268

Using the telephoto feature, here is a photo taken with the pictured Slave Flash set-up at a Flash Range distance of 20 feet.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:28 AM   #269

Silly me. I didn't realize they operated by sensing the flash from the camera to supplement it. I thought it had to be connected via a cable to program the flash.

I noticed on the Sony site under specifications it lists an "Accessory Terminal : Multi connector." Thought maybe that was for a flash.

Your photo indeed shows that the slave flash goes a good distance in the room.
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:31 PM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdolum View Post
Hi, I am brand new on this forum and have enjoyed reading this thread on the Sony HX5 very much - lots of good information that I did not find while reading many reviews of the camera in question.

I, like many, have been deliberating between the Panasonic ZS3, ZS7 and the Sony HX5V - many of the reviews I have read often compare the two cameras, but do not specify which camera is the better of the two. I've also read that the Panasonic ZS3 has better image quality than the ZS7, but lacks a few features which I want in my next camera (which are in the ZS7 and HX5).

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to post some comparison shots between these three cameras, or direct me to where I can find some comparison pictures. I realize that all three cameras are pretty good. Are there any other cameras that are competing directly with these, and are in the same price range ($250-$350 US)? I have only owned Canon and Sony digicams and have been happy with both...though I think I liked my Sony the best. I will be upgrading from my current camera, a Canon SD600 which I have enjoyed but on my last trip disappointed me with its lack of abilities in shooting any sort of low-light pictures and lack of modern features like Intelligent Auto, etc.

This thread has been great, I especially have enjoyed the airport pictures - the level of detail of those planes is incredible! I have really become a fan of the HX5 after reading this thread. I just want to make sure I will be making the best purchase possible. Thanks so much!

Camera Labs did a direct comparison between the ZS7 and HX5V. The ZS7 and HX5V each have their own strengths and weaknesses so it would be hard to say which is "better." I think it will come down to your individual needs. i.e. the GPS, IQ and color are better on the ZS7. The low-light handheld photos and dynamic range are better on the HX5V. The differences in IQ between the ZS3 and ZS7 are negligible unless you are going to be printing huge prints. Personally I find the features on the ZS7 far outweigh the very slight drop in IQ from the ZS3. If you like the features on the ZS7, I would focus on that and the HX5V.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote