Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:54 PM   #271

Default Extra batteries recommended for Hx5 folks!

I put my Hx5 thru its paces last week at my niece's son birthday from 1 pm to 5 pm and the power hungry Hx5 completely drained a fully charged battery after I took:-

1) 189 non-flash still photos set at 16.9 (7M) - total pictures count after adding some multi-bust shots
2) 54 video clips with a combined total footage length of 25 mins of HD video set at 1440

I am planning for a 15 day out of country back-pack tour and to avoid missing on travel shots due to lack of battery power, I went out and bought 4 more NP-FG1 batteries .. I am planning to buy another battery charger so that at the end of each travel day... I can charge two batteries simultaneously... don't fancy waking up every hour to swap batteries with only 1 charger.. unless I have a baby to feed every hour

Do you think my battery paranoia is justified?

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:17 PM   #272

Five-O-

In multiple posts you keep preaching the paises of the ZS7 and it image quality being equal to the ZS3. But, lets keep in mind, the ZS3 was not famous for its image quality. The ZR1, ZR3, and ZX3 are all measurably better than either the ZS3 or ZS7.

So we have to deal with the facts. How about a professional review of the ZS7 that validates your claim that the image quality that the image quality is NOT degraded, please.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 24, 2010 at 3:22 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:30 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O-

In multiple posts you keep preaching the paises of the ZS7 and it image quality being equal to the ZS3. But, lets keep in mind, the ZS3 was not famous for its image quality. The ZR1, ZR3, and ZX3 are all measurably better than either the ZS3 or ZS7.

So we have to deal with the facts. How about a professional review of the ZS7 that validates your claim that the image quality that the image quality is NOT degraded, please.

Sarah Joyce
I don't see one single post where I "preached the praises" of the ZS7 image quality. I am simply saying that the IQ is quite good for the type of camera that it is. The ZS3 was and still is known for its IQ for the type of camera that it is. Obviously none of these cameras is going to be up to par with other, larger cameras with superior sensors. Next time you want to have a go at me, get your facts straight.

As for the ZS7 vs the ZS3 IQ, I did say it was degraded. Once again, you are blatantly misquoting me. I simply said that the difference is not a big issue unless you are pixel peeping or printing at very large sizes. I don't need to do a review of anything. You can compare side by side images of the 2 cameras at dpreview as there are many comparisons. Nothing I say is as important as what someone can see with their own eyes.

p.s. ZR3 and ZX3 are the same cam. As for the ZR3 vs the ZS7, I have never seen their images side-by-side but they seem to use the same sensor and the same lens and we can be fairly certain that the image processing is at least mostly similar.

Last edited by FiveO; Apr 24, 2010 at 4:05 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:48 PM   #274

Five-O-

I am really surprised by your response. My post had a very friendly tone to it on both counts. I started off saying that I surely was willing to consider your position. If you want to limit the comparison to compact zoom class cameras, that is fine with me.

The issue I am attempting to rapidly defuse is simply this: This is a friendly discussion and nothing more. If I came across in a confrontational way, you certainly have my sincere apologies, as that is not how I intended for the post to come across at all.

I have always respected your posts as being well reasoned and technically right on target.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:00 AM   #275

I read a lot of reviews and compared a lot of sample images today and I keep finding the HX5V to be too soft for me. I really like the features on the Sony but I'm hesitant to get one now after looking at many images. This link is very nice to compare side by side images:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

For example, in comparing the Sony to the Panasonic ZS7, using the "New Outdoor" image you can see a marked difference in detail. In comparing the "Still-Life 200" image, if you look at the label of the Hellas Muscat Wine, it almost looks like the brown background behind the man is a solid brown color with the Sony. With the ZS7 you can clearly see it is a mosaic pattern. The other cameras I compared side by side images all had better detail (F200EXR, S90, ZS3, ZS7, etc.) I'm kind of puzzled why so much detail is missing from the HX5V photos.

For now I'm going to wait until the next round of cameras come out to see if some of the others get the feature set found in the Sony, or if Sony does something to improve the level of detail in their images.
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 6:45 AM   #276

pilotsmith-

I am just about to begin a side by side comparison of the HX5 and the ZS3 initially and on 27 April when I receive my ZS7, I will also include that camera as well in the side by side comparison. I will be posting it in the "What Camera Should I Buy" folder as that is where I field the most questions about compact zoom cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 25, 2010, 8:54 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotsmith View Post
I read a lot of reviews and compared a lot of sample images today and I keep finding the HX5V to be too soft for me. I really like the features on the Sony but I'm hesitant to get one now after looking at many images. This link is very nice to compare side by side images:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

For example, in comparing the Sony to the Panasonic ZS7, using the "New Outdoor" image you can see a marked difference in detail. In comparing the "Still-Life 200" image, if you look at the label of the Hellas Muscat Wine, it almost looks like the brown background behind the man is a solid brown color with the Sony. With the ZS7 you can clearly see it is a mosaic pattern. The other cameras I compared side by side images all had better detail (F200EXR, S90, ZS3, ZS7, etc.) I'm kind of puzzled why so much detail is missing from the HX5V photos.

For now I'm going to wait until the next round of cameras come out to see if some of the others get the feature set found in the Sony, or if Sony does something to improve the level of detail in their images.
I think this depends on the vision of each one, I see pictures hx5v better (less noise) For example, in the photo of the house at 800 iso sony has more detail. In the macro of the ticket also is better sony. And in other panasonic is better. It was the same on video, yesterday came to the hx5v Argentina, I went to test the video more than anything spectacular. Comparisons after the video is "better" in the tz10, but I get the impression that the tz10 add much brightness or contrast to everything and if you stop a video of you see something in motion that leaves a shadow, something that the sony no. As yet I have not decided between tz10 TX7 and hx5v.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:07 AM   #278

ciro-

The camera market is supported in large part by filling personal photo expectations and needs, that is why they sell so many different cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:29 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
world_go-

I actually sold both my TZ-5 and TZ-7 (ZS3) to get the Sony HX-5. It was a very wise move in my opinion. I have been very pleased with the HX5's image quality and I also judge image quality not at the 100% level, but at the normal viewing level of the typical 4" X 6" print.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...51_j62bq-L.jpg

I am pleased with the HX5's colors and it many unique features.

Sarah Joyce

sarah,

i, too, have a tz5 i am not happy with and have been ogling the hx5. now that you've had the hx5 for awhile, do you regret your purchase?

also, in another post, you mentioned you were getting a panny zs3. which do you prefer (zs3 or hx5)?

thanks!!
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:18 PM   #280

dottcomm-

Yes, I still have no regrets about selling my TZ-5 and ZS3. In fact I had to borrow a ZS3 to do the HX5 versus the ZS3 comparison in the "What Camera Should I Buy" folder. And on Wednesday, 4/28 I will add the ZS7 that I purchased to provide ZS7 photos for that thread.

If you take a minute and look at that comparison thread, you will see that the HX5 and the ZS3 are pretty closely matched. That takes us to more subtle evaluations such as the unique features like Hand Sweep Panoramas, and the Twilight Mode that only the HX5 has.

If you are anxious or excited about about the GPS, Compass, and Geo Tagging features the ZS7 seems to have a slight edge as it checks the GPS satellites more frequently, every minute, which the HX5 does not. But that facility also comes at cost of using more battery power.

I would say you cannot go wrong with either the ZS3 or the HX5, I will hold off a judgment on the ZS7 until I receive and use that camera.

Sarah Joyce