Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:30 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
pilotsmith-

I am just about to begin a side by side comparison of the HX5 and the ZS3 initially and on 27 April when I receive my ZS7, I will also include that camera as well in the side by side comparison. I will be posting it in the "What Camera Should I Buy" folder as that is where I field the most questions about compact zoom cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Sounds interesting! Look forward to see your results.

A couple years ago I bought my father-in-law a Canon Powershot A640. I've borrowed it a couple times and looking over the photos I've taken with it I think I like them better than the Hx5v. Hard to compare without having both cameras to do a side by side but I don't get the same "that looks fuzzy" feeling I do when I look at the HX5V photos. Wish the A640 had a 10x vs 4x zoom.

I'm a very amateur photographer so I may not know what I'm talking about. But for now I'm going to use the A640 until I can find something like the HX5V with sharper images.

Below are some shots with the Canon. Unfortunately, Photobucket does not display them at full resolution, but you get an idea on the IQ.

Is Sony known for aggressive noise reduction in their other models, or is that something specific to the HX5V?

pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:31 PM   #282

thanks sarah! i actually meant to say the zs7 you were purchasing, not the zs3. i'm anxious to see a side-by-side of those 2.

i'm not happy with my tz5 and think i'm going to sell it and buy the hx5 (unless the zs7 looks better).

- lori
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:45 PM   #283

Lori-

As soon as I receive the Panasonic ZS7 camera this coming Tuesday, I will integrate it into the comparison thread.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:52 PM   #284

pilotsmith-

The Canon A-640 was a very upscale camera when introduced and it had a larger CCD imager. Therefore it was capable of very good images, though it only had 4X optical zoom. The reason for the yellowish tinge to your night photo was that the White Balance was not adjusted for the incandescent or sodium vapor street lighting.

The HX5 is actually quite sharp. Take a look at this 100% crop of a HX5 macro posted in the comparison thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 25, 2010, 9:40 PM   #285

Lately, I notice several posts from readers who have been trying their best to decide which cameras to purchase due to the non-existence of a "perfect P & S camera" at this point in time. Some folks are still searching...

Before I decided on the Hx5v, I, too, was having a difficult time deciding on the various P&S, ie Sony, Panasonic, Canon as each has their pros and cons.

I thought I share with the forum on how I decided on the Hx5. Obviously, this will be a subjective exercise as different individuals would have different rankings that correspond to their individual expectations, likes/disklikes of the different camera features that matters to them... there is no right or wrong answers..

Here's what I have done for my Hx5
Firstly, I listed all the pros and cons that matters to me. On a scale of 1 to 10, I assigned positive marks to all the Pros and negative marks for all my Cons according to how strongly I feel towards each of the pros and cons, .. and the conclusion is that it still resulted in a +25 for Hx5. I understand some folks may not agree with this.. but it certainly helped me to look at my purchase holistically and help me see the big picture.....again, we all have the freedom to be different... that's the beauty of life !

Pros:

1080 video - future proof purchase (10 points)

10x zoom in a small package. (8 points)

Face, smile, and blink, two heads recognition. (10 points)

HHT low light still shots (10 points)

Multibust 10 FPS. (8 points)

no video streaks in G lens (10 points)

Steady Shot. Able to snap blur free photos during brisk walks. (10 points)

On board Panorama Mode works (6 points)

Great intelligent mode and SCN mode (8 points)

GPS (4 points)

Cons:

low light video issue (-10 points)

soft stills - lack details under some conditions (-10 points)

video barrel distortion while shooting indoors at widest angle (-5 points)

short battery life (-8 points)

Jerky zoom (-5 points)

too easy to cover left microphone with finger (-4 points)

Fingerprint magnet... constantly polishing this thing. (-4 points)

mics sound quality are not that great.. still OK. (-7 points)

limited surface area to hold the camera, prone to accidental drop. (-6 points)

TOTAL: PROS PLUS CONS = +25 points

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:47 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotsmith View Post
Is Sony known for aggressive noise reduction in their other models, or is that something specific to the HX5V?
Yes. It's a consumer oriented choice much like "Canon color." I love Canon color though. I want the color to look better than real life. Great pics btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric01 View Post

no video streaks in G lens (10 points)
The streaks are actually due to the CCD sensor and are unrelated to the lens. While the CMOS sensor gives up a bit in terms of color/contrast to CCD, it's definitely a better choice for video all other things being equal - which is why CMOS are used in consumer camcorders.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:32 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post

The streaks are actually due to the CCD sensor and are unrelated to the lens. While the CMOS sensor gives up a bit in terms of color/contrast to CCD, it's definitely a better choice for video all other things being equal - which is why CMOS are used in consumer camcorders.
Thanks FiveO, good catch.. you are right.. what I should have said was "no light streaks in video thanks to the CMOS sensor..

Last edited by Ric01; Apr 25, 2010 at 11:41 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:48 PM   #288

I actually have both the HX5V and the ZS7 atm btw. I've got a few days to decide before one has to go back. I'm going on vacation May 1st and I'll be outdoors, visiting an aquarium, seeing some historic sites ... I'm really looking for the more versatile of the two. yet another comparison to come.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:22 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I actually have both the HX5V and the ZS7 atm btw. I've got a few days to decide before one has to go back. I'm going on vacation May 1st and I'll be outdoors, visiting an aquarium, seeing some historic sites ... I'm really looking for the more versatile of the two. yet another comparison to come.
5-O we are anticipating your hands on decision...I have been reading about these two with lots of interest
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:58 PM   #290

LTZ-

You might want to follow a thread called "A Direct Comparison of Compact Zoom Cameras" that is located in the What Camera Should I Buy Folder. I started that thread after some discussions with 5-O. Thus far we have compared the HX5 to the Panasonic ZS3, and when I receive my ZS7 tomorrow (04/27) it will also be added to the comparison thread.

Sarah Joyce