Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:31 PM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric01 View Post
Thanks FiveO for doing the speed tests, they are pretty impressive... if I am not mistaken, I think the packaging of the panasonic Class 10 16GB says up to 22MB/s data flow which is quite close to your test results

Meanwhile, I will try out my two 32GB Class 4, Scandisk Ultra II (Made in China). May be, for peace of mind sake, I may purchase two panasonic class 10 16GB (made in japan) as back-up just before my trip for emergency use and will return them unopened after the trip if the other two scandisk class 4 are OK.
For the sake of price comparison, I paid $80 for mine at 6th Ave. Electronics. I think B&H has them for about the same price.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:55 PM   #312

While we have gone through various comparison photo sets, this is the kind of photo the HX5 was designed to take, as a travel camera. And these colors are spot on.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:04 PM   #313

Here is the same photo taken with the Panasonic ZS3.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2010, 3:36 AM   #314

The HX5V background is a bit underexposed but otherwise all looks well.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:56 AM   #315

Five-O

The point I was trying to make is that the TZ-7/ZS3 and the HX5 were intended to be travel snapshot cameras not DSLR cameras in a smaller physical format with lower price tags.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 1, 2010, 7:07 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O

The point I was trying to make is that the TZ-7/ZS3 and the HX5 were intended to be travel snapshot cameras not DSLR cameras in a smaller physical format with lower price tags.

Sarah Joyce

are there any cameras out there that are DSLR cameras in a smaller physical format with lower price tags? would be nice - after all, it's what were all waiting for.
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 7:48 PM   #317

dottcomm1-

I am sorry to say, that you may have a long wait for that special new model.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 1, 2010, 7:51 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottcomm1 View Post
are there any cameras out there that are DSLR cameras in a smaller physical format with lower price tags? would be nice - after all, it's what were all waiting for.
I thought I had found something with this one (Olympus E-P1),

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...cal-views.html

but I was not impressed with the photos and price was not that great either. Still waiting for a HX5V with a bit more detail in the image quality.
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 10:15 PM   #319

Quote:
dottcomm1-

I am sorry to say, that you may have a long wait for that special new model.

Sarah Joyce

sarah joyce -

i think i may have a better chance of winning the powerball than seeing that camera exist.
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 11:01 PM   #320

Quote:
Five-O

Sarah Joyce
So is it better to get a truly travel safe snapshot camera versus something like the HX5V? I've used a Pentax Optio W10 waterproof camera for couple years that goes in the water, sand, dust, dirt, rain, etc. (It now has a focus problem so I don't use it much for photos. Still use it for off road and ocean videos for YouTube stuff.) Maybe I should get something similar so I can have something I don't have to worry about. It is a very liberating feeling not having to worry about sand, dust or water getting on your camera. I think whatever point and shoot camera I get I won't be fully happy with the image quality. So perhaps getting another beater camera is the way to go for me. The info for the Sony says not to expose it to dust and that worries me too. Thinking about maybe getting a W90...

Last edited by pilotsmith; May 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote