Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 2, 2010, 10:21 AM   #321
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

pilotsmith-

The Pentax W-80 and W-90 cameras are very durable, sealed cameras. They can take more "rough stuff" than the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 4:19 PM   #322
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
pilotsmith-

The Pentax W-80 and W-90 cameras are very durable, sealed cameras. They can take more "rough stuff" than the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
...and the Sony TX5 is another durable sealed camera with according to reviews good image quality and some of the new Sony features like Sweep panorama and 10 fps. I'm concidering it myself since the HX5v I've ordered still is out of stock, and like pilotsmith says it's nice to be able to forget about sand and water on my forthcoming vacation.

When choosing a water- shock and freeze protected camera one has to be very aware that most cameras of that kind historically have had very mediocre IQ and general performance, especially Olympus and Pentax. And the new Casio seems to be rather bad too. In that perspective the TX5 and the new Panasonic are much more interesting.
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 6:21 PM   #323
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
pilotsmith-

The Pentax W-80 and W-90 cameras are very durable, sealed cameras. They can take more "rough stuff" than the HX5.

Sarah Joyce
I'm using the Hx5 as my baseline image quality to compare the water proof point and shoot cameras to. Want something that is very close to the image quality of the HX5. The image quality of the W80 is poor - very noisy. Still looking for W90 images I can do a side by side comparison. Panasonic TS1 qality also not acceptable. Still looking for TS2 pictures where I can do a side by side comparison. I saw a post from you where you commented on the Sony DSC-TX5. So far the TX5 has be best image quality of the water proof cameras I've compared. That one is now on my short list. IQ is not as nice at the HX5 but close. So I think it will boil down to the Sony TX5, Pentax W90 or Panasonic TS2. The W90 and TS2 would have to have better image quality over the Sony as I like the features on the Sony.
pilotsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 7:33 PM   #324
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11
Default

Okay, I'm going to jump in here as I'm now looking at the hx5 and zx3 cameras. I just returned a SONY WX1 that I had mixed results with. The size was perfect, and easy to take anywhere by slipping in my pants pocket. It did awesome with video when there was enough lite, but pictures were a mixed bag. I found a lock of any pop in most outiside pictures, and beach shots just seemed dull. Indoors was also a struggle. No portrait mode. With flash, people tended to get washed out. w/o flash, good but flat pictures. I also wound up with a lot of outside pictures at iso 400 and 500 due to having the camera in 'intelligent' mode. These pics are just aweful. So, do I blame the cmos sensor and stick with a ccd. I have the panny z28, a nice camera though pixel peeping shows a lot of artificats at full zoom. Still, I'm very happy with the panny interfaces. The ZX3 sounds like it might fit the bill as a take along camera on family vacations, and to the occasional club when getting out at nite. Not sure how this will stack up against the hx5
larrytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 10:13 PM   #325
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

larrytr-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

I also returned my WX-1, so I know exactly how you are feeling. I got the ZR1, as I felt that at 12mp it had a decided edge over the 14mp ZX3. Amazon has the ZR-1 at $185.00, and I have really been pleased with it. The ZR1 has the upgraded image stabilizer and the latest image processor, in fact the OIS and the imager are the same ones that are used on the new ZS7.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 3:22 PM   #326
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotsmith View Post
I'm using the Hx5 as my baseline image quality to compare the water proof point and shoot cameras to. Want something that is very close to the image quality of the HX5. The image quality of the W80 is poor - very noisy. Still looking for W90 images I can do a side by side comparison. Panasonic TS1 qality also not acceptable. Still looking for TS2 pictures where I can do a side by side comparison. I saw a post from you where you commented on the Sony DSC-TX5. So far the TX5 has be best image quality of the water proof cameras I've compared. That one is now on my short list. IQ is not as nice at the HX5 but close. So I think it will boil down to the Sony TX5, Pentax W90 or Panasonic TS2. The W90 and TS2 would have to have better image quality over the Sony as I like the features on the Sony.
According to DigitalVersus the Panny TS2 - that's FT2 in Europe if I'm not mistaken - is only improved when it comes to protection features, not IQ. They hold the TX5 clearly higher, but you can't of course dive with the Sony 30-35 feet down like you can with the Panasonic.

I for one have cancelled my order of the HX5v after one month of fruitless waiting and have instead ordered the TX5, which will arrive tomorrow. Consequently I'm leaving this thread and may be back with some examples from the TX5 in another thread. Thanks for all inspiration and interesting arguments, folks!
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 4:41 PM   #327
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Default

I have been enjoying my new HX5V. I debated for a long time between it and the ZS7 and am happy with my decision. The pano and burst modes are well worth it. But, I am looking for some advice on a couple of things from other users.

First...I see a lot of pictures in this forum where people say the images are resized and sharpened. Are you using the features on the camera to do that or are you using photo editing software? And...should you sharpen most pictures for printing or just ones that are especially smoothed?

Second...I've been playing around with a few of the modes and would be interested to hear your opinion. Which is better...the Program mode or the iAuto? They seem a little inconsistent in some situations and occasionally, I snap the same shot, same settings, and the picture looks very different in color and light between the two modes. It would seem that if Program was on all Auto, they would be the same, and I haven't figured out why they are not. Love some advice...

Third...I love the burst mode and took some great shots of my daughter playing catcher at her softball game. I would have never been able to capture those otherwise, as the action is too quick for a P&S. I even blew one up to 8x10 and it was awesome! Does anyone recommend if you should use the Sports Scene mode for these burst shots or the iAuto/Program?

Thanks for all the input. I love the camera and am trying to get the most from it.

Jan
Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 7:00 PM   #328
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Jan-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Sony P+S folder. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The statement "re-sized and sharpened" may indeed mean different things to different folks. For me, at least, it mean that I use a photo editing program, mostly Photoshop Elements, to both re-size the so it meet the posting size requirements and sharpened in the editing program.

The "P" for Programed Auto Mode is more consistent and offers more options to the HX5 user. The I-Photo Mode, along with Easy Mode options restricts the options quite measurably and is far less consistent. I personally always use "P" Mode.

For sports, many users prefer the Burst Mode while in the "P" Mode, because it is even easier to use than the Sports Mode.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:35 PM   #329
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Thanks, Sarah Joyce, and thank you also for all of the postings and photos you put on here. You are a nice voice of reason.

I'll give the P Mode a good try.
Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 12:19 PM   #330
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gotland, Sweden
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Jan-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Sony P+S folder. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The statement "re-sized and sharpened" may indeed mean different things to different folks. For me, at least, it mean that I use a photo editing program, mostly Photoshop Elements, to both re-size the so it meet the posting size requirements and sharpened in the editing program.

The "P" for Programed Auto Mode is more consistent and offers more options to the HX5 user. The I-Photo Mode, along with Easy Mode options restricts the options quite measurably and is far less consistent. I personally always use "P" Mode.

For sports, many users prefer the Burst Mode while in the "P" Mode, because it is even easier to use than the Sports Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Hi sarah.

I've been following your threads for some time now, and especially when deciding which cam to buy. I have tried the Canon SX1 (which were great, but too big), the tz7/zs3 (was ok), the FT1/TS1 (thsat was great for the purpose, but not good enough quality in the end)
So now it has landed on the hx5, and so far it is great, it is like the sx1 but in a small package
I just wannted to answer Jan851 as well, the Sports mode has an advantage when shooting burst and tht is that it is actually refocuses all the time as long as your holding down the shutter halfways, so you can hold it down and follow your object and shot at any time you want....works great!!

I have some example pix that I wanna share but I must first figure out how this board handles images...I'll come back

Update:
Uploaded a few pics, the bird is from a series of 10 images and was taken with sports mode + burst.
all are hand held , the dinosaur and fire are HHT mode
good luck
Michael
Attached Images
     

Last edited by CyberTron; May 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:24 AM.