Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 10, 2010, 9:18 AM   #351

When Fuji HS10 came to European market, it was sold out within 2 hours. Now, four weeks later came second delivery - und no pig cries for it :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:20 AM   #352

mvaldes-

Frankly I have never seen washed out colors like that on the HX5. I have attached a typical photo sample from my own camera. It does not appear to a matter that is adjustable. On the contrary, I am guessing the camera may indeed be defective.

Regarding the Canon S-90. Please keep in mind that Canon's color style is a good deal different that that used by Sony. I found that I very much liked Canon color.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:22 AM   #353

Michael-

Many thanks for helping out. Your answer was spot on.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 10, 2010, 10:23 AM   #354

BPHusker-

Yes, Sony is currently dealing with an inventory shortage in the USA. The problem is supposed to be solved in the next 14 days.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 10, 2010, 11:13 AM   #355

Thanks for your reply Sarah Joyce. Indeed I was starting to think there could be some problem with my camera. Can I check somehow that it is defective or make some test to prove it?
What if they tell me it seems to work fine?
The pictures I showed are just resized so the colors are 100% original.
mvaldes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 11:42 AM   #356

mvaldes-

I am not familiar with the business practices in Japan. However, I would take the HX5 back to the dealer where you purchased, along with your Panasonic camera. Be sure to have some comparison photo taken with each camera that you can display for the dealer. Than should be sufficient.

I would expect them to offer you a replacement camera, or at least tell you in detail how Sony deals with defective cameras.

Good Luck!

Sarah Joyce
Old May 10, 2010, 2:48 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
mvaldes-

Frankly I have never seen washed out colors like that on the HX5. I have attached a typical photo sample from my own camera. It does not appear to a matter that is adjustable. On the contrary, I am guessing the camera may indeed be defective.

Regarding the Canon S-90. Please keep in mind that Canon's color style is a good deal different that that used by Sony. I found that I very much liked Canon color.

Sarah Joyce
If you reference any number of the review image samples and compare them to the images from Panasonic or Canon, it is apparent that the Sony photos are a bit washed out in many cases. After spending a few weeks with both the ZS7 and the HX5V shooting countless photos outdoors at the beach, in the woods, in parks, on the street, at national landmarks, etc., I can tell you that the Sony's issues are primarily noticeable in situations of lesser contrast such as the beach. Also, the images obviously look much better standing alone than when put alongside a camera with better saturation and contrast.

I don't think exchanging the camera for a known design shortcoming is the answer as you will simply get another HX5V with the same shortcoming. I would simply suggest that you adjust it in post processing or shoot in HDR/HHT in those situations in which the low contrast presents a problem for the HX5V.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:51 PM   #358

Images washed, so I can see, happens to everyone. I just bought mine and the same.
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:27 PM   #359

Okay, here is an example of some issues where I'm not sure where to set the camera.

The first...Intelligent Auto/Flash Off. It chose 1/10s f4.5 iso1600.
The second...Program Auto/Flash Off. It chose 1/3s f4.5 iso400.
The third...Intellgent Auto/Flash Auto. It chose 1/60s f4.5 iso800.
The fourth...Program Auto/Flash On. It chose 1/15s f4.5 iso800.

In my opinion, the flash off pics were a little dark on the subject, but the wood background colors were accurate. The iso400 was blurry.

However, when it did use the flash, the subject looked brighter but the woodwork in the background turned very red. A common theme to using the flash indoors. I previewed the WB Flash setting and it was dramatically more red.

Would love to hear any thoughts/suggestions...

Thanks!
Attached Images

Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 3:51 PM   #360

Jan-

As you can see the last two photos are decidedly better in terms of image quality. As a general rule a very good starting position for any indoor photos is as follows:

Mode Selecter = "P" for Programed Auto
ISO = Auto ISO
Flash = Auto Flash

That setting will even work outdoors, but the flash may fire occasionally in a dark photo environment.

Sarah Joyce