Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 10, 2010, 4:07 PM   #361

Thanks, Sarah. This one is not as strong of an example, but for some reason, the flash indoors really turns the picture red. Is there any way to compensate? There doesn't seem to be a WB preset that counters it, and I don't know of any other way to adjust that color.

Thanks, again!! This is very helpful.
Jan851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 5:36 PM   #362

Here is a better example.

First one is Program Auto/Flash Off.
Second is Program Auto/Flash Auto.

The first is much more color accurate.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!!
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2010, 5:40 PM   #363

Jan -

There is a specific White Balance for Flash. Please try that. Its to the far right on the WB menu line. Also is you shoot at an angle on a high gloss surface you won't get a flash back/flare.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 5:51 PM   #364

Strange as it seems, the WB Flash mode makes it even more red. Will try the angle...thanks.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:32 PM   #365

Sarah Joyce, FiveO, I see that you have different opinions... The pics I posted are an extreme case to show how dramatic (embarassing at times) the difference in colors can be but perhaps more pics will give you a better idea.
I bought the camera in Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku and it's quite far away from where I live so I'd like to be confident that there's some trouble before I take a train, make an effort to overcome the language problems wait for a replacement etc etc.
I post here some more comparison images, the first is always the HX5 the latter the fx35, only rescaled.
The pictures were taken in iAuto for the fx35 and P for the HX5.
In some cases I think the HX5 pics look better, the fx35 is a bit too blue-ish... but again I wold expect the HX5 to blow away a much older and smaller camera.
The grass picture seems too washed out, but the picture of the park is not bad.
What do you think? Defective? Or occasional bad results from the Sony software?
I was thinking that perhaps, because I bought an early model in Japan in the Overseas section of Yodobashi camera and got this weird HX5 with no gps which I couldn't find anywhere else, I might have an older/different firmware than you HX5V guys.
Is it possible to update the software of a digital camera? Maybe I'm asking silly questions but I'm a complete beginner!
I think it's really a shame that many people are not satisfied with Sony colors because the HX5 is really an amazing camera... I guess it would take a week for Sony developers to get the Canon-like colors which everybody seems to love, why don't they do that???

Marcos
Attached Images

mvaldes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 7:34 PM   #366

Here's the other pics...
Attached Images

Old May 10, 2010, 9:44 PM   #367

mvaldes-

Now those samples are much closer in color and the small difference could easily be recovered in a simple free photo editing program such as Google's Picasa.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 9:53 PM   #368

Cybertron, thank you. Yes, I had my HX5V in 16:9 mode. Such a simple fix. Now on to more experimenting with my camera. I have two daughters getting married in July. I'm hoping to take some good candids. There should be many indoor and outdoor opportunities for both.
Jama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2010, 10:07 PM   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes555 View Post
Sarah Joyce, FiveO, I see that you have different opinions... The pics I posted are an extreme case to show how dramatic (embarassing at times) the difference in colors can be but perhaps more pics will give you a better idea.
I bought the camera in Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku and it's quite far away from where I live so I'd like to be confident that there's some trouble before I take a train, make an effort to overcome the language problems wait for a replacement etc etc.
I post here some more comparison images, the first is always the HX5 the latter the fx35, only rescaled.
The pictures were taken in iAuto for the fx35 and P for the HX5.
In some cases I think the HX5 pics look better, the fx35 is a bit too blue-ish... but again I wold expect the HX5 to blow away a much older and smaller camera.
The grass picture seems too washed out, but the picture of the park is not bad.
What do you think? Defective? Or occasional bad results from the Sony software?
I was thinking that perhaps, because I bought an early model in Japan in the Overseas section of Yodobashi camera and got this weird HX5 with no gps which I couldn't find anywhere else, I might have an older/different firmware than you HX5V guys.
Is it possible to update the software of a digital camera? Maybe I'm asking silly questions but I'm a complete beginner!
I think it's really a shame that many people are not satisfied with Sony colors because the HX5 is really an amazing camera... I guess it would take a week for Sony developers to get the Canon-like colors which everybody seems to love, why don't they do that???

Marcos

Marcos I feel you need some more time before you get comfy with the cam. Since the metering is different in both cam you may not get same result when compared directly. You may want to try fiddling aound in P mode with EV, DR and all to get same output as the panny. Also I believe you are focussing at same area in both the cam as the metering seems to be really off in sony.

While going through the exif i found you have used landscape mode in panny for the wide open trees/road shot while its in P mode in sony. There would be quite a difference in both the modes as landscape would be more optimized for the DR, which is handled bit well in the panny shot

I have not used the sony hx5 personally but the iAuto on the panny does boost the saturation a little which is visible from the green tree shot making the colour pop out a little more than sony.

Last edited by archish; May 10, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 12:57 AM   #370

Thanks archish. I didn't understand well what you mean by "Also I believe you are focussing at same area in both the cam as the metering seems to be really off in sony." Could you tell me more about that?
I guess DR is dinamic range... so the fx35 was used in iAuto and selected landscape mode automatically; with the HX5 in P instead I noticed that the automatic ISO was set to 200 vs 100 for the panny. I guess that produced such a poor shot.

Sarah Joyce, thanks for recommending Picasa, I used it before but I didn't know I could manipulate the pictures with it. I worked a bit on the first bad image with good results, looks almost as good as the fx35 one now.

Looking at the other pics do you still think my camera may have a problem or is it ok according to you?
Attached Images