Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 11, 2010, 1:41 AM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes555 View Post
Thanks archish. I didn't understand well what you mean by "Also I believe you are focussing at same area in both the cam as the metering seems to be really off in sony." Could you tell me more about that?
I guess DR is dinamic range... so the fx35 was used in iAuto and selected landscape mode automatically; with the HX5 in P instead I noticed that the automatic ISO was set to 200 vs 100 for the panny. I guess that produced such a poor shot.
what i mean i suppose you took the blue fence in panny as the focus subject then are you choosing the same blue fence as the subject in sony?
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 1:53 AM   #372

Oh, I see. They were both set on multi auto focus and the HX5 had the multi metering option on. The pictures are taken from the same identical position, I was shooting from my car while waiting at the traffic lights.
mvaldes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 3:24 PM   #373

well, some new pictures, just two this time, one of my cat and one in "almost complete darkness with HHT"

a question for everyone, how do you shoot without shaking?
The pic below I actually put the camera on the ground and pressed the trigger. Any advice and tips is welcome

oh, and to everyone comparing pics alongside, for ex. canon/panasonic. This camera might not "tamper" with the image and enhance it that much, but it is very accurate to the reality (at least to my eyes)
and the last pic in this thread with the grass I actually find the Sony much more likeable than the panasonic, more grass-like.

but, enought of that..

enjoy my pix
Attached Images

CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:31 PM   #374

Hey guys, here is a video of my new HX5V, in broad daylight and direct sun, I would like to see how this video comes in a Pana TZ10. Sorry for the quick movements of the camera, we note that it not my right? jajaja

http://vimeo.com/11666963
ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:54 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jama View Post
Cybertron, thank you. Yes, I had my HX5V in 16:9 mode. Such a simple fix. Now on to more experimenting with my camera. I have two daughters getting married in July. I'm hoping to take some good candids. There should be many indoor and outdoor opportunities for both.
Jama, congratulations! on the marriage of your two daughters in July !

During my niece's son birthday party two weeks ago, my Hx5V's fully charged battery was completely drained after taking 185 still non-flash photos and shooting a total footage of 25 mins of HD 1440p multiple video clips.

My suggestion is you may like to purchase additional 4 to 5 batteries stuff in your pockets if you have no time to charge in between the wedding ceremonies and reception.

You may to avoid the dreaded "no battery flashing" warning on your Hx5v LCD screen just before the taking of wedding vows

I bought 4 additional batteries. Suggest buying the NP-FG1 type so that you can see the number of minutes remaining

My 2 cents
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:01 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
a question for everyone, how do you shoot without shaking?
The pic below I actually put the camera on the ground and pressed the trigger. Any advice and tips is welcome

CyberTron.... you took nice pictures!

To minimize hand shake while shooting macro or in dimmed lightning conditions, I've used the 2 sec shutter release or if you are a patience person, use 10 sec shutter release. After pressing the shutter release and the camera is counting the seconds before automatic shoot, I hold the camera still, hold my breath, steady my hands, focus on the subject, think of good thoughts and I try not to think about work or my boss or anything that will stress me out at that instant before the camera flashes.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:50 PM   #377

Quote:
I understand that Sony built a technically wonderful camera but somehow misjudged (according to some at least) the image processing software.
Does anyone have the same problems?
Yes, everyone - but some are less bothered by it than others.

Quote:
Is there any way of adjusting things?
No.
Old May 12, 2010, 12:01 AM   #378

Quote:
In some cases I think the HX5 pics look better, the fx35 is a bit too blue-ish.
Yes, Panasonic always leans towards colder images whereas the HX5V has an obvious tendency to be overly warm. Unfortunately, I have found that my preference is like yours - in some situations, warmer looks better. In others, colder looks better.

Quote:
The grass picture seems too washed out, but the picture of the park is not bad.
What do you think? Defective? Or occasional bad results from the Sony software?
It is not defective. The low contrast/saturation is repeated throughout the professional and owner reviews. It could be the in-camera processing that Sony failed to tweak or it coudl be the price we pay for a CMOS sensor.

Quote:
I was thinking that perhaps, because I bought an early model in Japan in the Overseas section of Yodobashi camera and got this weird HX5 with no gps which I couldn't find anywhere else, I might have an older/different firmware than you HX5V guys. Is it possible to update the software of a digital camera? Maybe I'm asking silly questions but I'm a complete beginner!
It's not weird that you have no GPS. There was a model built with one and one without, depending on the region in which it was intended for sale. It is possible to update the firmware but don't hold your breath. Sony has a reputation for rarely/never releasing firmware updates.

Quote:
I think it's really a shame that many people are not satisfied with Sony colors because the HX5 is really an amazing camera... I guess it would take a week for Sony developers to get the Canon-like colors which everybody seems to love, why don't they do that???
Marcos
Some of this is certainly related to the CMOS sensor - the same sensor that gives the HX5V its superior video and 10fps burst when compared to the CCD competition. Every company has its take on what the public wants and how much time, money and effort they want to put into achieving it. In the end, the camera is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberTron View Post
oh, and to everyone comparing pics alongside, for ex. canon/panasonic. This camera might not "tamper" with the image and enhance it that much, but it is very accurate to the reality (at least to my eyes)
and the last pic in this thread with the grass I actually find the Sony much more likeable than the panasonic, more grass-like.
I disagree completely. The Sony makes the grass on my lawn almost neon by boosting the yellows too much. Now on a local trail that I walk almost daily, the grass is almost surreally green. It is actually looks a little better to my eye in Sony's under-saturated state but it is not accurate. The color charts (i.e. Imaging Resource) for the Sony HX5V will also show you that the Panasonic ZS7's colors are more accurate. Of course, in the end which you prefer is all that matters for your camera. Sometimes I prefer the Sony and sometimes I prefer the Panasonic. I love Canon color but I don't own one any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciro2001max View Post
Hey guys, here is a video of my new HX5V, in broad daylight and direct sun, I would like to see how this video comes in a Pana TZ10. Sorry for the quick movements of the camera, we note that it not my right? jajaja

http://vimeo.com/11666963
The video on the Sony is better imho. The sound is unfortunately horrendous on the HX5V. If video was my primary concern though, I would pick the Sony and dub over the sound with a nice soundtrack.

Last edited by FiveO; May 12, 2010 at 12:13 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 10:34 AM   #379

Whoa-

Either camera (ZS7 or HX5) can produce very usable photos. All you have to do is some photo editing and you can have what each person desires.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 2:54 PM   #380

Here are some pictures more ...

Personally I like the macros from my T900, but I think these are pretty good.

I have these problems with some photos, the first picture is fine, but the second gives the direct sun and went well. As I can not help?

These are pictures taken with flash in the dark.

ciro2001max is offline   Reply With Quote