Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 15, 2010, 3:43 PM   #401

Here are a couple of photos (forgot if it was zoomed at full.. perhaps 8x?) Photos are 100% crops and are not edited at all. Photos seem a bit blurred but I can't expect too much for a point and shoot camera. However, I was wondering if the Panasonic ZS7 or ZS5 can take equivalent photos with the same / better IQ? I've seen a lot of very clear photos with both of the panasonics.. for example the photos for the ZS7 in this thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...sharpness.html

Last edited by xsimplicity; May 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM.
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 9:53 AM   #402

well, I had the change to capture two love birds!! ...but not birds...well, It was fun to see that atleast in Macro the HX5 can capture alot of detail...
Attached Images

CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 4:39 PM   #403

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is doing great. I am new here in this website and new to the camera hobby also (a newbie in short), I bought 6 hours ago my HX5V in a Sony shop after reading this forum (I was about to buy the TX5 or 7). When I got home, I tried it quickly, but then after viewing all the picture in the LCD I saw that the display on the LCD screen is shaking on the middle part, its like the middle part of the LCD is vibrating, is this normal? Do you experience it also? It is unnoticeable unless you look at the center spot. Should I have it replaced?

Also, how do I post a picture here? I want to post the picture I took from my place iAuto 10x zoom at Burj Dubai or Burj Khalifa so I can take advice from everyone on how to improve it. P mode, ISO setting, WB Auto.... etc etc Thanks...

Last edited by bluecreed; May 19, 2010 at 4:42 PM.
bluecreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 10:35 PM   #404

Alright...new to the forum with my first post happening right now. I have read through most of this thread. I will read the rest tomorrow.

At this point I am still torn on which camera is right for me. Currently I have the Canon G9 and I love the camera. The image quality is the best I have ever owned. I am looking for something that will keep that same level of detail in normal shooting modes. I prefer sharp vibrant photos when shooting in color and simply just sharp photos in black and white.

Based on all of the reviews and sample images I am concerns about falling shorton the sharpness and the image quality I have grown fond of.

The real kicker on this is I am obsessed with panoramics and the isweep would save me hours of post production work.

Right now I have the hx5v in a box in my basement and I have not opened it due to the restocking fee for return. I just want to make sure it is the right camera for me before I bust open the box.

I have been considering - panasonic zs7, Sony hx5v, samsung hz35w, casio fh100.

I am not entirely sure on the purpose of my post other than I am confused, indecisive and desperately looking for direction.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

mackloon

Last edited by mackloon; May 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:37 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
I have been considering - panasonic zs7, Sony hx5v, samsung hz35w, casio fh100.

I am not entirely sure on the purpose of my post other than I am confused, indecisive and desperately looking for direction.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

mackloon
It depends on your needs. Personally, I would rule out the Casio right off because I simply have yet to ever see a Casio I like. Secondly, i would kick the Samsung based on the review samples and my personal testing in the store. That leaves you with the ZS7 and HX5V and I don't think one is clearly better than the other. They each have pros and cons in different areas and you will have to choose which is most important to you. if you want sharp and vibrant, the ZS7 is a better choice.
Old May 20, 2010, 5:49 AM   #406

Yeah...

I have pretty much come to that conclusion. Zs7 looks to have the better photo quality and options. But the hx5v is still a contender due to my obsession with panoramics. So then there were 2. The hx5v and the zs7.

Can anyone comment on the following:

1.) the panoramic mode in the zs7 and it's ease of use during production. Second it's ease on post production stitching together the images? Also, how accurate that stitching is in comparison to the isweep? Say I was shooting a crowded stadium or a scenic horizon. Either going to create a better photo?

2.) the gps in both. It was said that there were battery issues caused by using the gps. I can deal with a slight drain, but if it halves the battery or it is hard to turn on it is useless to me. I know the above were said about the hx5v.... But what about the zs7.

Any added info is appreciated.

Thanks

mackloon
Old May 20, 2010, 11:50 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Yeah...

I have pretty much come to that conclusion. Zs7 looks to have the better photo quality and options. But the hx5v is still a contender due to my obsession with panoramics. So then there were 2. The hx5v and the zs7.

Can anyone comment on the following:

1.) the panoramic mode in the zs7 and it's ease of use during production. Second it's ease on post production stitching together the images? Also, how accurate that stitching is in comparison to the isweep? Say I was shooting a crowded stadium or a scenic horizon. Either going to create a better photo?

2.) the gps in both. It was said that there were battery issues caused by using the gps. I can deal with a slight drain, but if it halves the battery or it is hard to turn on it is useless to me. I know the above were said about the hx5v.... But what about the zs7.

Any added info is appreciated.

Thanks

mackloon
One important question is what quality you expect from your panoramas. The iSweep is amazing, it's almost unbelievable how the camera manages to stitch together multiple photos in a second with lots of people moving. I took one at a playground with maybe 80 children playing (with my daughter in the middle) and it was almost perfect. One face was compressed a little.

But the panoramas are limited to a resolution of appr 1000 px vertically , and it shows. I haven't printed them larger than 30 cm wide, and that looks OK but sometimes you clearly see strange effects, smudged details and so on.

So if you do large panoramas you may think the limitations are too many. But, it's stunning and I've used it a lot (with my TX5, but the quality is similar).
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:26 AM   #408

1. iSweep works very well. The ZS7 stitch-assist is cumbersome and frustrating to use in wilderness settings. Go ahead and try to line up a specific tree out of 50 for the 2nd shot. If you were shooting in the city, it would be much easier to line up buildings. The iSweep will still whip it hands down in ease of use. However, barrel distortion is quite apparent with defined lines (such as with buildings) when using iSweep so keep that in mind.

2. The GPS can be shut off if you find that its not worth the battery life. Panasonic has a "travel mode" which causes the GPS to operate like the Sony's - meaning the GPS is only on when the camera is on. I have had both cameras in this state for nearly a week and just charged the batteries for both tonight. I have not yet tried the "always on" option on the Panasonic nor do I think it is necessary. I have very few photos missing GPS tags with either camera. Neither one is hard to turn on/off. Go into the menu and select on/off. Granted, Samsung made it really easy by putting a switch on top of the cam to turn the GPS on/off.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:56 AM   #409

Can anyone post or link panoramics from both.

As far as 5 x 7 prints if I am shooting people, landscapes, macros, city scales, etc...in variable lighting conditions, do you think there is a clear winner when comparing the zs7 and hx5v?

Thanks
Old May 21, 2010, 5:58 AM   #410

On a side note... Burst shooting...

What is the real life framerates you are experiencing with both using a class 6 card.