Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 21, 2010, 10:34 AM   #411

Default HX5 - you can focus much closer than you think

http://hx5v.blogspot.com/2010/05/son...zoom.html#more
Old May 22, 2010, 3:50 AM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Can anyone post or link panoramics from both.
It's not the quality of panoramas from the Panasonic that is the problem. It simply isn't user-friendly. Here are basic methods of shooting panoramas with each cam:

Sony HX5V: Put it in iSweep mode. Position the camera, push the shutter button and sweep the camera across the scene until the LCD fills the panorama.

Panasonic ZS7: Put the camera in stitch assist mode. Take your first shot. The camera then provides a ghosted overlay that you use to line up shot #2. repeat for shots 3,4,5 etc .... It's tortuous. I can't post a panorama from it as I have not yet had the patience to finish shooting one.

Quote:
As far as 5 x 7 prints if I am shooting people, landscapes, macros, city scales, etc...in variable lighting conditions, do you think there is a clear winner when comparing the zs7 and hx5v?

Thanks
At 5x7, I think this comes down to preference ... mostly. The HX5V photos often appear flat and need a bump in contrast and saturation in post. I have experienced lens flare on a few occasions with the HX5V and situation where the shot was simply impossible due (I'm guessing) to the sensor being overwhelmed by bright sunlight. The AWB indoors is poor. You will need to manually set it. NR cannot be controlled. I haven't found the NR to be a major problem as some have but in the instances where it does rear its ugly head, it is frustrating to be unable to reduce it.

For macros, both cameras perform pretty equally but I must say that I love that the HX5V jumps into macro mode on its own.

The ZS7 color temp will occasionally run cool whereas the Sony will occasionally run warm.

Indoors I prefer the Sony. In low-light I am not so concerned about detail with a ocket P&S cam with a tiny sensor. I am more concerned with getting an image that is usable for 5x7 and I think the Sony does better in this scenario. The ZS7 can do it, but the images lose color at high ISO and a tripod (or makeshift tripod) is virtually a must. HHT works very well on the HX5V. Images are quite soft but they look good for this type of cam in those lighting conditions.

Quote:
On a side note... Burst shooting...

What is the real life framerates you are experiencing with both using a class 6 card.
You don't need a Class 6 card. Class 4 is fine. The key here is that you get a good card that actually performs at its rated speeds and is able to maintain good sustained speeds. In either case, you will be limited by the cameras cache and not by the SD card.

The Sony can do 10fps but it will lock the camera up for 16 seconds while it writes the data to the card. You can cancel this at any time and you can release the shutter before it shoots 10 shots if you don't want to shoot all 10.

The Panasonic can only do about 3 shots in full res burst mode but it only locks the cam up for 1-2 seconds.
Old May 22, 2010, 5:23 AM   #413

Five...

Thanks for the insight. I bought my wife the tx5 which arrived yesterday. I was playing a little with it last night rigging up one of these Eye-fi sd cards, which I must say is an impressive little piece of tech. I will get a chance to play with it more here today, and assume general performance will be similar to the hx5.

Can either shoot continuous shots above the 3 and 10 mentioned?

Right now I have my Canon G9 up for sale on eBay because I am looking to downgrade on size. I keep wondering if I should just hold on to that camera and return the HX5V which I have in a box from Best Buy in the basement, along with the ZS7 which is on order from Amazon.

I really just want a camera that can maintain the same level of image quality possesed by the G9. I like sharp crisp pics...like the photos posted by LT in the Panny forum shot by the ZS7.

If I can produce that level with the hx5, then that is the clear winner.

Regardless...my indecisiveness is crippling.

Any further pointers would be greatly appreciated.

mackloon.

Last edited by mackloon; May 22, 2010 at 5:26 AM.
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 5:50 AM   #414

Quote:
Five...
Can either shoot continuous shots above the 3 and 10 mentioned?
10fps at full resolution is pretty phenomenal for a pocket P&S. You won't find better.

Quote:
I really just want a camera that can maintain the same level of image quality possesed by the G9. I like sharp crisp pics...like the photos posted by LT in the Panny forum shot by the ZS7.

If I can produce that level with the hx5, then that is the clear winner.
You can't produce that quality with any P&S superzoom pocket cam. If you are willing to compromise on features a bit, the Canon S90 and Panasonic LX3 are great options for pocket cams.

If you really want the zoom and features found on the the HX5V, ZS7, etc. and IQ trumps all else, the ZS7 would get my nod.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:45 AM   #415

I'll probably crack open both boxes to make my decision through shooting.

Then again...I could find that the g9 is still the winner.

If the g9 is a 10 in IQ...how would you score the other 2 in comparison?
Old May 22, 2010, 9:07 AM   #416

Mackloon: Here are some panorams I took with the Hx5 in the past two days, took all of 5 seconds to shoot. These are direct from camera,only downsized for this site. As you can see the in camera stitching is excellent,the thin white lines going acroos the pictures in the bay shots are anti-bird fishing line,this may have been blowing in the wind and dont match up quite right. In the last photo the none panorama shot, it seems that the NR kicked in for some reason and the water in the foreground looks to me like a water color, it was darker in that area if I remember the shot correctly. Then as you go about slightly less than half way up the center the water then looks like water. This is one of the features of the Hx5 that drive me insane.
Old Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by mf15; May 22, 2010 at 3:27 PM.
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 2:51 PM   #417

Quote:
I'll probably crack open both boxes to make my decision through shooting.

Then again...I could find that the g9 is still the winner.

If the g9 is a 10 in IQ...how would you score the other 2 in comparison?
Well this is totally off the cuff but I'd give the HX5V a 6-6.5 and the ZS7 a 7-7.5. Keep in mind that I am quite biased towards the color saturation and contrast of the ZS7 as I came from a Canon SD870.

The G9 is a totally different class of camera. The sensor dwarfs the sensors on the ZS7 and HX5V. Either one would be a downgrade in terms of IQ but an upgrade in terms of portability in features. Keep the G9 and get either the ZS7 or HX5V.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:08 PM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Well this is totally off the cuff but I'd give the HX5V a 6-6.5 and the ZS7 a 7-7.5. Keep in mind that I am quite biased towards the color saturation and contrast of the ZS7 as I came from a Canon SD870.

The G9 is a totally different class of camera. The sensor dwarfs the sensors on the ZS7 and HX5V. Either one would be a downgrade in terms of IQ but an upgrade in terms of portability in features. Keep the G9 and get either the ZS7 or HX5V.
Wow...I had no idea I would be taking that big of a step down from the G9 in image quality. Granted...I figured that the image quality was better due to the build on the camera, but a 2.5 to 4 point drop down from a 10...wow.

To be honest. I love my G9. It is by far the best camera I have ever owned. I just need to go to a camera that does not require as much baggage to shoot all the ways you want to shoot in real life. The downside to the G9 is that it is 35mm at the widest...forcing you to carry the wide angle lens, and the adapter tube to go to about 20mm or so...I also bought filters, and telephoto and a flash and all the other bells and whistles.

I am now torn as to whether I am willing to downgrade for a smaller, more versatile package?

I just bought my wife the TX5 and I am going to give that to her when baby #2 arrives here in the next 2 weeks. So whatever I get here will have to round out the camera collection.

I want the size and independent functionality of the ZS7, the isweep and burst of the hx5v, and the image quality of the G9 (or greater)

Anything out there like that?
Old May 22, 2010, 7:43 PM   #419

Quote:
I want the size and independent functionality of the ZS7, the isweep and burst of the hx5v, and the image quality of the G9 (or greater)

Anything out there like that?
Nope. You're expecting the impossible from the tiny sensors on these cams.

The LX3 and S90 will cost you the zoom and video, though the IQ will jump up to your G9. The new Sony NEX-5 is an option to look at also but once again you will lose the zoom. Other than that, you would be best to look at some micro 4/3 cams.
Old May 22, 2010, 9:26 PM   #420

mf15... Thanks for the post...pics look great. What is the printable max size on those?

Why can't I just make a decision.

I end up wasting about 100 hours of research time every time I buy something.

Damnit

Last edited by mackloon; May 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM.