Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 23, 2010, 1:13 AM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Why can't I just make a decision.

I end up wasting about 100 hours of research time every time I buy something.

Damnit
I do the exact same thing. It drives my wife insane and tbh I even drive myself insane. It's a compulsion. You'll choose the ZS7 if you choose either. Coming from a G9, I am sure of it.
Old May 23, 2010, 6:14 AM   #422

mackloon:I really don't know about the print size.
Here is another you might like. But I will have to say in bright sun on the beach it is almost impossible to see what you are shooting in the LCD, makes me wonder if the engineers at Sony actually used the camera after they designed it.
This shot on the left facing south panning right to north in pano wide mode, as you can see in excess of 180 degrees.
Old Mike
Attached Images

Last edited by mf15; May 23, 2010 at 6:21 AM.
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 8:43 AM   #423

Mike...

Thanks again for the post. I am still very torn on which I should get.

Sincerely

mackloon
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 9:27 PM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackloon View Post
Mike...

Thanks again for the post. I am still very torn on which I should get.

Sincerely

mackloon
More input that may help.

I think the HX5 uses the same Exmor-R sensor that the TX7 uses. I bought a TX7 because of what I read for that sensor and because of the panoramic, motion blur and handheld twilight features. I was estatic with the whole idea.

I ended up returning the TX7 since most of the photos were just not sharp and crisp. Something was missing from the picture quality. Close photos taken with the lens in wide are sharp though. In the end the money shots, the reason for buying the camera, were the general stills, not the special features.

I bought a Panasonic ZS6 which is like a ZS7. The picture quality is everything I hoped for in a compact camera. The only thing was entering movie mode on the ZS6 was too unweildy so I returned it and ordered a ZS7 which has a dedicated movie button.

The picture quality of the ZS series cameras blows away the picture quality of the TX7 to my eyes. I must confess that a lot of the photos I see posted for the HX5 are not as sharp as I would like. There's just something missing from the HX5 photos.

No offense, just trying to help,
Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #425

That is good input, skylark-

We can all learn from others experiences. The priority is that you have a camera that you are really enjoying, and that is great.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 6:28 PM   #426

Did some experimenting with the camera on pano's today from info found on Hx5 blog.
Anyhow if you set the camera to pan up or down and rotate the camera 90 degrees you will get this type of pano shot, much higher, depending on wide or normal mode,can't go too fast or camera will get confused, may tell you to pan in correct direction.
Perhaps this will add to your confusion, don't know.
The second shot is perhaps 160 degrees, with more practice might be able to get to 180, not sure.
But I still want a ZS7.
Old Mike
Edit: Normal 4120x1080
wide 7152x1080
the ones I experimented with are 3224x1920 and 1419x1920
Attached Images

Last edited by mf15; May 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM.
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 7:17 PM   #427

Very nice and yes it does add to the confusion, I mat still get the hx5 and then a dslr to round out the package... Idk

thanks...hey what are the resolutions on all of the pans?
mackloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:57 PM   #428

Hello everyone, time for some new pictures of my lovely island Gotland in Sweden. Was on a one night camping trip just a few km from my home with my kids. It was very sunny and quite warm (25-30 degrees) and no clouds what so ever

I have resized some of the animal pictures and there is also a 100% crop availible for your pleasure
Enjoy.
Attached Images

CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 12:59 PM   #429

continues
all the animals were taken with maximum zoom
Attached Images

Last edited by CyberTron; May 25, 2010 at 1:06 PM.
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010, 9:50 PM   #430

Those are good examples of behavior indicative of the HX5V from my experience. Pics 1,3,4, 6 and 7 are very nice. 2, 5, 8, 9 and 10 show a lack of contrast or excessive NR. That's essentially my issue with the HX5V. It is very capable of producing beautiful photos but when it doesn't there's nothing you do about it.