Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:48 AM   #41

Default HX5 or S90

Hi Sarah, I can't recall if you kept the S90 or not, but do you think the HX5 is 'better'?
akmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
to "upsell" me a spare battery, insurance, and memory cards.

In Europe there is Sony promotion - to each Sony SDHC camera you get a 16 GB Sony SDHC card for € 0.00000 (till April 14th)

Last edited by DonalDuc; Mar 29, 2010 at 1:48 PM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 2:08 PM   #43

akmontgomery-

No, I did not keep the S-90, I returned it due to its limited zoom. To replace it, I have ordered the HX5, which should be delivered at the end of this week, around April 2nd hopefully.

I hope it arrives on schedule, as that would make it available for Easter photos. In the Sony folder in the dpreview discussions, there is a direct comparison between the Canon S-90 and the Sony HX5 posted by Tom Hoots.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:27 PM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
In Europe there is Sony promotion - to each Sony SDHC camera you get a 16 GB Sony SDHC card for € 0.00000 (till April 14th)
Link?

Quote:
www.abesofmaine.com just called to confirm my order and of course to "upsell" me a spare battery, insurance, and memory cards. I said "no thank you" to the upsell and they will be shipping today. So if everything works out on schedule, I should have the HX5 in hand on Friday, April 2nd, in time for Easter.

That is good news! By next week we will have 2 HX5 cameras in the discussion.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Great news about the camera purchase - looking forward to more info. I am not really surprised by Abe's lowly upsell methods. I had one experience with them and it wasn't a positive one.

Last edited by Acheron; Mar 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM.
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:57 PM   #45

acheron-

The "upsell" technique is more common that you might think with some some internet sellers. You just have to be prepared for it and to politely and firmly say "no thank you."

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:10 AM   #46
Banned

Quote:
acheron-

The "upsell" technique is more common that you might think with some some internet sellers. You just have to be prepared for it and to politely and firmly say "no thank you."

Sarah Joyce
It is only common among the disreputable sellers. I've got roughly 75 stores that I shop with weekly for everything from electronics to bodybuilding supplements and not one has ever tried to upsell me anything. I'm very cautious where I shop though and I'm loyal to the stores that provide the best service.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:58 AM   #47

acheron-

I was presented with a problem that made me adjust my normal buying pattern. I had to find a retailer with the HX5 in stock. Therefore, I was faced with salesmanship that I do not like at all, to get the camera I needed as soon as possible.

Yes, I had to put up with a bit of a hassle, but I got the camera I wanted, in the time frame that I needed it. Would I return to www.abesofmaine.com for any future photo related purchase, no! I posted that info so the folks who read our Forum will know in advance the sales techniques that the firm uses.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2010, 7:39 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Link?

If you order SONY camera/camcorder with amazon.de ... click on 16 GB SDHC ... you get - no cost (worth € 46) - 16 GB SONY SDHC

You also can buy with any dealer ...
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 9:21 PM   #49
Banned

I wasn't able to find that at the UK site.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 2:12 PM   #50

Default Sony HX5V

Purchased new camera from Amazon, and saved 99 cents. This is one GREAT camera. Right out of the box after charging up the battery I was able to take pictures and movies in lighting that would be very hard to do with a "normal" point and shoot camera. As all my pictures and movies were inside I haven't tried out the GPS. This camera is a keeper, and one that will go with me on future trips etc.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote