Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:43 PM   #71

digicam5-

Thanks! The HX5 has very good image quality and video.

SGF-

Photos taken with the HX5 at ISO 800 and above to show some electronic noise. Neat Image is a software program designed to remove the graininess of electronic noise and to smooth out the image.

You can download a free trial copy of Neat Image. Just go to google,and type in Neat Image Download.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:54 PM   #72
SGF

Thanks for explaining about Neat Image and Noise Ninja.
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:51 PM   #73

Sarah Joyce r u happy with the Intellegent Auto mode on the Sony?

NIce shots!

Last edited by digicam5; Apr 2, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 9:56 PM   #74

Here is a good example of how well the HHT or Handheld Twilight Mode works. This photo was the photo taken well after sunset. The HX5 quickly took 6 photo, and the merged the best elements into a single photo, while improving photo clarity and reducing the noise in the image. The HX5 used ISO 400 for this photo. There is also a slight blur to the seagull's wing are as he moved during the 6 shots.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 12:27 AM   #75

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for suggesting me to this thread. I'm extremely tempted to return my Canon S90 for this camera due to the neat functions. The Canon S90 lacks the zoom and the HD video recording.. and i'm not too sure I like the pop-up flash. I assume you had a chance to play around with both cameras (both canon s90 and the sony hx5v), which one do you like more? How is the video recording for the sony camera?

Last edited by xsimplicity; Apr 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
xsimplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:07 AM   #76

Sarah, very impressive indeed!
digicam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 1:14 PM   #77

xsimplicity-

I actually returned the Canon S-90 that I ordered and patiently waited for the Sony HX5 to make its appearance in the marketplace. It has been worth the wait. Please don't let me give you the impression that the HX5 is perfect. It is not, as I would prefer a few more manual controls.

However, the HX5 does exactly what it was designed to do: it provides a high degree of automation that is very helpful in allowing folks to capture the photos that they really desire to capture.

The HD video is really top notch. Not only is the image quality good, but Sony has also provided a IS system on steroids called Active Steady Shot, which really smooths out the video eliminating the jerkiness that is common to videos taken with a digital camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:09 PM   #78

On another topic-

I am also considering doing a user thread on the HX1 camera that was introduced last summer (June 2009). The Hx1 has more zoom (20X optical zoom) and more controls. It was the very first CMOS imager camera that Sony introduced. We will probably see the HX2, or whatever the HX1's replacement might be named this 2010 summer.

If you are interested in exploring the the HX1, and subsequently, its replacement, please post your feelings. Here is an example of what the HX1 is capable of in producing images.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:30 PM   #79

Here is another HX1 photo sample to show you what the camera can do. The Hx1 uses a Song G lens noted for it sharpness. This is an informal portrait of my husband taken hand held right in our great room.

However it give you another view of what the HX1 can do.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:51 PM   #80

Sarah, great to see you like the Hx5 so much!

I went for a trainingwalk at the beachside, testing my new large trekking backpack. I'm just so happy I don't have to take it off every time I want to get my camcorder or superzoom camera out of there!

I noticed the compass was doing a splendid job pointing north, while I haven't calibrated it since the 2nd day I own the cam. Good job.

The aeroplane is a 100% crop + sharpening, rest is resized/sharpened only
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote