Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:53 PM   #81

Greenbaron,

The gull shots are great, I am impress with your point and shoot. Nicely done.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:54 PM   #82

one more

camera settings for all shots were P-mode, auto wb, auto iso.
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:57 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
On another topic-

I am also considering doing a user thread on the HX1 camera that was introduced last summer (June 2009). The Hx1 has more zoom (20X optical zoom) and more controls. It was the very first CMOS imager camera that Sony introduced. We will probably see the HX2, or whatever the HX1's replacement might be named this 2010 summer.

If you are interested in exploring the the HX1, and subsequently, its replacement, please post your feelings. Here is an example of what the HX1 is capable of in producing images.

Sarah Joyce

Awesome flowers, Sarah... absolutely brilliant colours!! Amazint
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Greenbaron,

The gull shots are great, I am impress with your point and shoot. Nicely done.
Thanks! It might sound a bit odd, but I had to get used to the simplicity of the cam at first; but I'm really starting to appreciate it now
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:16 PM   #85

Greenbaron,

Have you tried out the sweep pano feature. If so is it as good as tripod setup and stitching on the computer?
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:36 PM   #86

greenbaron-

Perhaps you will be tempted as I was to reach out further with the zoom. I purchased a used HX1 to explore that camera, which features a 20X optical zoom and much more control. For example it would have made that KLM flight shot a good bit easier.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2010, 8:39 PM   #87

I had a PM asking that I explain how the HX5 imager is different, and what was the difference in a "backlighted imager." If you understand that the imager itself is a laminated structure (as shown in the attached photo) it is easier to understand.

Initially the imager used on the first Sony CMOS imager camera, the HX1, introduced in June 2009 was not a backlighted imager and therefore was constructed like the imager in the illustration to the left. The wiring was placed above the actual imager plate itself. As Sony continued to develop their CMOS imager they determined that the wiring itself reduced the transmitted light going to the imager plate.

Therefore, they designed the imager structure again, this time placing the the wiring array below the actual imager plate. The re-design was a success and the imager actually does transmit the focused light through the camera's lens, better. Therefore, we will be expecting to see use of the new imager in other Sony cameras, and even a further development of the imager based on more testing and further development.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Apr 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:19 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Greenbaron,

Have you tried out the sweep pano feature. If so is it as good as tripod setup and stitching on the computer?
Yep I tried it, but it couldn't give me a clean stitch. It works pretty good, but so far I didn't got one result that was free of stitching errors. I put some effert in rotating the camera around the nodal point of the lens, but it wasn't enough

The greater the distance between foreground and background objects, the more difficult it is to get a clean stitch. Even using a conventional tripod won't give a clean stitch; you need a special panoramahead for that.

@ Sarah

Well, I have been glancing at it when it was announced, and the specs are pretty good, but I will not be able to slide it in my pocket; and having it hanging around the neck all the time isn't going to be fun on outdoor adventures (based on experience). I'm quite convinced the HX5 is the ultimate hybrid on that matter today.

I have been following the bridge camera developments with great interest though. I think Panasonic has been leading that field since first those cams started appearing. But today, the differences are diminishing, and it is getting more difficult to decide which one will suit me best. I'm in no hurry to get a new bridge cam, so I can just sit and wait; At this time, the fuifilm hs10 has been quite intreging though, and I'm quite interested to see how it will perform.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:42 AM   #89

Shoturtle & Greenbaron

Here is an example of the HSP - hand sweep panorama. I have found that it works quite well.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:59 PM   #90

nice picture results. I got my HX5 just before Easter and had some time to play with it. I find the contrast a bit low coming from a Panasonic ZS3. Can that be improved somehow in camera?
Also the sharpness could use just a bit of a bump i think.
I usually shoot pictures in in 16:9 as to match all my monitors and then crop it somewhat for printing.

http://mamuco.com/gallery/HX5Test

I attach a few pics, but didn't have the notes as to which settings I used.

Oops looks like I can only upload up to 256 k in jpg. Let me try to re-size the pics.

Last edited by mamuco; Apr 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM. Reason: added external picture links
mamuco is offline   Reply With Quote