Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 4, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Default TX-5 settings

Hello there,

just got my TX-5, seems to be a little gem for sure.

I wonder if someone can hint if I need to change some og the default settings in order to obtain better / optimal image quality... or should I just go with the standard settings ?

Already now, I think images contain considerably less noise than my old Olympus Tough 8000 ... hope this continues.

But please... share your hints if any .. perhaps similar from TX-1 and TX-7.

Kind regards,

Tor, Denmark
Torr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 4:12 PM   #2

Torr,

While you're waiting for responses, maybe check the "Sony HX5 / TX7" thread and look at the EXIF data for DonalDuc's TX7 photos. As you alluded to, settings for the TX7 should be similar for the TX5 since they use the same sensor and electronics.

DonalDuc's photos are outstanding so examining the settings he used might be helpful.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 6:54 PM   #3

Try & test your camera for two weeks, then you know what's the best for you!
Each camera is a wonderful instrument to take pictures and memories - if you can handle it.

The best way: try & error :-) !
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Thanks...

.. just... Im new to mess around with settings.. so hints on which to tweak as a first go would be appreciated.

Tor
Old May 5, 2010, 5:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Thanks...

.. just... Im new to mess around with settings.. so hints on which to tweak as a first go would be appreciated.

Tor
Congrats Torr, and I just got my TX5 the other day too. It has a great feeling to it, right?

Let's keep each other informed about useful tips and findings in this thread! One thing though, I don't think there are so many things to tweak on this camera, especially not compared with my Nikon D300 .. but a few things maybe.

So far I've found the HDR and Twilight modes very useful. And the Sweep Panorama is amazing!!

Good night, I'm going to bed with the instruction book now.

Regards from your Scandinavian neighbour Birger of Sweden
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 10:08 PM   #6

Torr and Birger-

Initially, as mentioned previously by DonalDuck, I would leave the the camera controls in their default settings. Get to know the camera a bit before making any significant setting changes. After you more fully understand the TX5's capabilities, you can be more logical in making the needed changes.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Torr and Birger-

Initially, as mentioned previously by DonalDuck, I would leave the the camera controls in their default settings. Get to know the camera a bit before making any significant setting changes. After you more fully understand the TX5's capabilities, you can be more logical in making the needed changes.

Sarah Joyce
Absolutely, and I for one picked this camera for P&S as with all my compacts. And since the iAuto seems to work so well there is little need to dig into the menus. Are there really any significant changes to make in this camera??

My main concern right now is a really silly one, I got a feeling that there's one of those plastic protection things on the sliding lock, the ones you're supposed to take off. But I can't get a grip on it, and maybe there is no plastic cover? It's supposed to look like that?
Birger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 2:03 PM   #8

Good idea to collect issues in this thread.

I like to touch on image post-processing. I understand that Donald Duck uses Irfanview... however, my collegue Goofy suggests to use Pacasa as the most simple and intuitive programme for image manipulation. View on this ?

Also... the correct sequence for manipulation is ?

(1. resize 2. colour adjustment 3. sharpening)

Something like this ?

Tor
Old May 6, 2010, 2:45 PM   #9

I do (if necessary)

a) color adjust
b) resize ---> sharpening=automatic

If you change a) and b) ... it's no crime ....
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 6:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Good idea to collect issues in this thread.

I like to touch on image post-processing. I understand that Donald Duck uses Irfanview... however, my collegue Goofy suggests to use Pacasa as the most simple and intuitive programme for image manipulation. View on this ?

Also... the correct sequence for manipulation is ?

(1. resize 2. colour adjustment 3. sharpening)

Something like this ?

Tor
If you want really simple and fast image adjustment and resizing plus a great photo viewer, check out the free Faststone Image Viewer. You can download it at www.download.cnet.com. The brightness, contrast and color adjustments are all manual (slider adjustments) however.

If you want one click auto brightness, contrast and color adjustment for free, try the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). It is an open source Photoshop knock off and is about equal in functionality to Photoshop Elements, but is a bit slower. Try the white balance function for the one click auto adjustment.

The correct sequence for image manipulation for me is:

1. Brightness, contrast & color adjustments.
2. Fix red eye.
3. Sharpen
4. Crop to 6x4 or 5x7 or 8x10 if making prints.
5. Resize to 300 dpi if making prints.

a) Sharpen should be the last image enhancement step.
b) Image enhancement comes before crop and resize so that the enhancements will be available for any size crops later. So always keep the full size originals for later crops.
c) Resize to 300 dpi is optional if photos are uploaded "AT" the photo lab. Photo labs will resize to 300 dpi before printing. But resize to 300 dpi is necessary if uploading via the internet to make the file sizes smaller for faster upload times.

Finally, to retain optimum picture quality, all image saves should be to a lossless format like TIF, PNG or PSD since JPG is a lossy format and image will degrade on every load and save. The final save for the photo lab should be to the JPG format since file sizes are smaller and that's what they like.

Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote