Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 28, 2010, 12:55 AM   #1

Default sony compacts and shooting speed questions...

well, a little history.

i currently have a canon sd750. yes, for 3 yrs old, the picture quality of newer cameras have jumped significantly, even for a non-professional like me. main use of my camera - taking shots of my girls and wife. things i like about the sd750:

1. the biggest thing is the shooting speed. i cannot believe how this dinosaur shoots at 1.7 fps! it didn't hit me until i tried out some other newer canons - sx200, sx210, and the s90, which i really was impressed with. sadly, the fastest of the bunch is the s90, at 0.9 fps.

2. lcd screen: i need a 3-inch NON wide-screen. the sd750 has it, albeit at 230k dots. the s90 has a 3-inch at 460k dots. awesome. but #1 killed the s90.

3. image quality, of course. for better or for worse, i like the juicy canon look, even on the lcd. i use my camera as my portable diary. i guess if someone wanted a glimpse into my heart my sd card would provide the most compelling evidence.

4. size - i don't want a brick, and it has to fit my pocket. i understand the power and speed of slrs, but i have no desire to lug around a brick. the s90 is about as big as i am willing to live with.

so.....with all that in mind:

i just got a panasonic zs6 this pm, and have not had a chance to fool around with it. i did do one thing, so i need some expert help here. i'll simplify, and say that the zs6 meets conditions 2, 3 and 4. but....

on PAPER (well, website and the net), it states the continuous shooting speed is 2.3 fps. what i have been doing is 'drag racing' the cameras i test. i was flabbergasted to see the difference of 0.9 fps (s90) and 1.7 fps (sd750). there's a pause before the s90 shows the pic on the lcd.

in my mind, i assume that the camera that takes the picture first shows it on the lcd first. please educate me...

so i conducted the speed test, setting both to auto. i expected 2.3 fps (zs6) to smoke the 1.7 fps (sd750). well, it didn't. i am bummed. how does that work???? i'm stumped.

so now, i am exploring some sonys. in general, i like the sleek styling. unfortunately, at least in the meantime, costco does not have any of the p&s sonys. i hope that changes soon. i am tending towards the tx5 or tx7. if nothing else, i think these sonys have blazing shooting speeds. i think it'll come down to tx5 or tx7.

THANKS for slugging through my post and hearing me out.
locksinajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 8:04 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksinajam View Post
...so i conducted the speed test, setting both to auto. i expected 2.3 fps (zs6) to smoke the 1.7 fps (sd750). well, it didn't. i am bummed. how does that work???? i'm stumped.
First of all, are you sure you have your camera set to one of continuous drive modes (the Burst Mode settings in the menus with most newer Panasonic models like that one)?

Second of all, are you sure you have enough light for it to focus (as focus speed will impact results, and focus times may take longer indoors in less than optimum lighting)?

Note that shutter speeds will also impact times, since if the camera needs to keep the shutter open longer for proper exposure in lower light (especially at lower ISO speeds or when zooming in much, since most lenses are dimmer at longer focal lengths), then that adds to the time before it can take another photo.

Is this using a flash? If so, then recycle times will impact results (with closer subjects allowing a faster flash recharge time, and further subjects requiring more time to recharge the flash because of the longer flash burst needed when subjects are further away)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 9:28 AM   #3

jimc,

thanks for the insights. to answer your questions:

1) yes i did. incidentally, i think my lowly sd750 also has it. need to look into that and see. i guess the issue is not so much the 2.3 fps continuous shooting speed, but the time it takes to take the FIRST shot...?

2) yesterday i was indoor in the garage office. i depressed both cameras halfway, then pressed the buttons all the way to take the shot.

3) since i set both to auto, no fiddling with any settings, same pic size...i did try to make things as even as possible.

4) no flash on my test shots so far...

will try again over the weekend. keeping my fingers crossed.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:38 AM   #4
Administrator

Some of the Panasonics have more than one burst mode setting. I haven't checked that one. So, you may want to look at the menus and try the others ones if it has multiple types of burst modes available.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 1:42 PM   #5

hi jimc,

checked the burst settings, just one. tried some shot speed comparisons in bright indoor light. same results. if i'm shelling out this kind of money, i do expect it to be a hair faster, if not at least match it.

incidentally, just went ahead and purchased a tx7 (and will return the zs6). got a great deal directly through the sony website, with a 30-day no restocking return. i think it will do the trick. it meets all my important requirements. i guess i will nitpick and say where is the b&w?!?!
Old May 28, 2010, 6:39 PM   #6

(1) Time to first shot should be virtually instantaneous just like the ZS7 (which I own). it takes 2-3 shots (varies) and then you can take another 2-3 within about a second.

(2) Indoors - that isn't good lighting. That's low-light.

(4) You can't use flash in burst mode.

There are two burst modes but the one on scene mode is a reduced resolution burst mode so I don't recommend it.

The Sony and Casio cams are indeed faster. The CMOS sensor helps with that. The IQ is below the ZS6 though. You are also going to find that color saturation is far, far below Canon. However, since speed is your main concern, I think the TX7 was a good choice.

I'm certain the TX7 must have a widescreen just like the ZS6?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:59 AM   #7

what do you mean burst.
how can i set my camera to burst mode?
clgboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgboy2 View Post
what do you mean burst.
how can i set my camera to burst mode?
clgboy2, burst mode means your camera will keep shooting a series of shots (like a paparazzi shooting film stars and your camera may sound like a machine gun) as long as you pressed on the shutter release button to a maximum number of shots set by the camera or unlimited burst shots offered by certain cameras.

You can set the time interval between shots for some cameras ... for Sony Hx5v, there are HI, Med and Lo intervals. Burst mode is useful if you shoot moving subjects or objects and you can select the best resulting shots.. or if your subjects have the tendency to close their eyes (blink) during photograph sessions, you can select the best shots. Some moody cats like to blink.

As mentioned by FiveO above, my experience with Sony Hx5v burst mode is that the flash capability will be disabled during burst mode which means you are limited to taking the burst shots in reasonably good lighting.

How to set the burst mode will be dependent on the type of camera you have.

Last edited by Ric01; Jun 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM.
Ric01 is offline   Reply With Quote