Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 9, 2010, 2:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They do make a very good sensor. But it seems that they do not wrap it with a body and features to take full advantage of that sensor, that nikon and pentax seem to do with the sony supply sensors they use.
I tend to agree.

In addition, Sony's reputation for poor durability amongst their MP3 players and optical laser units makes me a bit wary of their other products as well. Their P&S cameras often seem to be half-done projects - one great feature offset by another poorly executed one.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 5:35 AM   #12

Ditto Tullio, trouble these days is these cameras are being made to keep the price down, no way would I trade my W300 in the compact range for any of the current offerings, I think the W300 is the last decent Sony compact made with the 1.1.7" sensor, adjustable settings and a Carl Zeiss lens.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:58 PM   #13

I've been impressed with the W300 since you started posting pictures taken with it, Wirraway. I did not buy one because of its 3x zoom lens. Too short for my needs.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I tend to agree.

In addition, Sony's reputation for poor durability amongst their MP3 players and optical laser units makes me a bit wary of their other products as well. Their P&S cameras often seem to be half-done projects - one great feature offset by another poorly executed one.
Sony is a funny company in that regards. It appears that products such as DVD, CD and MP3 players are not built to last and often present problems within the very first year. On the other hand, their TVs are excellent (at least in my experience). I have a 17-year old Sony TV, which still works great and its picture quality is better than many new models out there. I also have a Sony LCD TV, which works flawlessly. I have three old Sony cameras, all working just fine but the new products, they are cheaply made and won't last.

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:08 AM   #15

Tullio, I am happy enough with cropping or using smartzoom on the W300 as the sharp Carl Zeiss lens and 1/1.7" sensor works out as a travel camera for me even though it is native 3x.

Camera: Sony DSC-W300

1) 1x 35mm (native), 2) 3x 105mm (native), 3) 6x 210mm (smartzoom 2x), 4)10x 350mm (Crop)
Attached Images

Last edited by Wirraway; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:08 PM   #16

Yes, I agree that the larger sensor gives you more resolution (and consequently extra room for cropping). However, you can only crop so much before you start seeing image deterioration. I think the first two crops were good but the last does not look as clear and sharp. If you were shooting small birds, I doubt you'd be able to get a real good close-up. Nonetheless, the W300 is an excellent performer, without a doubt.

Tullio
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:13 PM   #17

the last shot illustrated it quite will with the deterioration on the hood and windshield of the van.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:40 PM   #18

Agreed #4 is a bit of a stretch but ok for any rare situations I may come across, but for a pocket camera i am more than pleased, still use my H5 for any serious shots requiring telephoto.

Camera: Sony DSC-H5

Name:  DSC00851 copy.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  145.4 KB

Last edited by Wirraway; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:44 PM   #19
NHL

Just want to add my 2c since I seem to be another lonely soul to have bought into the Sony brand. Like some posters here who have actually used a Sony. IMO it takes some experiences to appreciate the brand for its features. BTW I still own Canon/Nikon and their gears: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fl...sh-fetish.html

Here's another 'sport' photographer who has bought into the brand: http://briansmith.com/#/BIOGRAPHY

... and Brian's latest equipments: http://www.digitalphotopro.com/profi...l.html?start=3

Last edited by NHL; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:25 PM   #20

Blah, blah, blah.........
Sony makes excellent products and with their acquisition of Minolta camera as well as the Minolta design team their DSLR products are first rate.
While Sony does'nt have the wide range of lenses that Canikon does, you are able to take advantage of the large array of legacy Minolta AF glass.
The A900 & A850 are fantastic FF bodies, the A700 a real workhorse used by many Pros, the often overlooked A550 as well as the entry level models.
I would not hesitate to dive into the Sony line. The truth is, most state of the art DSLR's surpass the user's ability. Unless you have very specific technical requirements for a particular photographic tool.
Sony products will likely exceed your expectations.
Keep in mind, it's not the camera, it's the photographer.
EvanJonsson is offline   Reply With Quote