Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:38 PM   #1

Default Sony as a brand

Now that the new Sony A290 is finally available to buy, what do you guys think of the Sony name? Everyone goes on about Canon and Nikon but what about Sony?

Ok, Canon have more lenses etc but, are Sony a quality brand?

Looking to buy the new A290 this month!! Going to see what it is like as my local camera shop has them in stock!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:27 PM   #2

Think they flood the market with allot of entry and mid level camera's, but there is not much growth and progression compare to canon and nikon currently, with them having only 1 FF as they are getting rid of the a900, leaving only the a850 to do battle with the 5dmkii, d700, 1dsmkiii, d3. I will not even go with their lenses. Not nearly enough.

They do make a very good sensor. But it seems that they do not wrap it with a body and features to take full advantage of that sensor, that nikon and pentax seem to do with the sony supply sensors they use.

PS,

Just as an example the new nex5 uses the new sony sensor, which has great color and image quality, but the nex bodies fall short compare to olympus, panny and the samsung currently.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:51 PM   #3

Trying to decide if i should buy the new A290 or the Canon 450D. Hard to decide.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:00 PM   #4

koolpc-

Either camera would work well. I would prefer the Canon 450D, if it were new.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:02 PM   #5

another sony entry or a canon, currently I would go with the 450D if it was new.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:21 PM   #6

Having now tried them both i agree, the 450D is the better handler of the 2 etc
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:01 PM   #7

I had two Alpha models (A200 and A330) and liked them both. The Alpha had the best implementation of live view at the time (I don't know how other brands progressed since but Sony LV was far far superior). I liked IQ, color, ergonomics, etc. However, the bodies were slightly larger than some others such as the Oly E5nn and E6nn, Nikon Dnnnn and Canon Rebel. Sony glasses are excellent but way over priced. There's the Minolta Maxxum lenses once can use as well but to me, they are not as good as some of the old Canon and Nikon glasses. However, the Alphas have IBIS, which means any lens you mount on it will benefit from the system. Canon and Nikon don't offer IBIS, so if the lens does not have it, you'll have to go without.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:28 PM   #8

Tullio-

I still have my A-230 in operation. It is not as good as the Canon 450D, but it is very dependable and an excellent back-up camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:48 AM   #9

I have a Sony alpha and I bought it because after evaluation, the features it has fit my needs the best. As a consumer, not a pro, I don't worry about Sony vs Canon vs Nikon. IQ is equally good and the lens choice is more than sufficient. LV is implemented the best.

I've said this elsewhere, if you're looking for those "knowing nods", nothing beats a canon with a white lens. For us regular folk without oodles of money, Sony with black will do the same job.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10

Well said, Frank. Just like with so many things in life, photographic equipment is very subjective. What one person may find slow in terms of AF, another may find it very fast. A soft image to one be look perfect to another. One may find any noise to be unacceptable while others may be OK with it. I have a Sony R1, which is probably one of the best cameras I've ever had in many many respects. However, AF performance in low light is abysmal. So, when I read people complaining about the EP1 slow AF system, I say to myself...these people have no idea of what a slow AF system is until they experience the R1 AF in low light. I read the same comments over and over again...this camera is good for sports while that camera is best for landscape, etc, etc, etc. The thing is, a lot of times the differences between camera's performance are only measurable by software. Once you have the camera in your hands it's a different story.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote