Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:10 PM   #1

Default Help!! Need tips on how to eliminate camera shake with F828

The pictures are awesome when the camera is mounted on a tripod, but I haven't been able to get a single in-focus picture when the camera is hand-held. The thing is just too heavy; I can feel my hands start to shake before I even depress the shutter button. I'm not sure the camera store will let me return it, either, because Sony is such a stinker about opened boxes. My trusty old Canon G1 is going to have to get me through the holidays, I guess.
nnolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:56 AM   #2

No help, huh? Well, I'm going to see if I can return this POS. I've tried every variation on focusing that this camera offers (there are 3), and at best I get one in-focus shot for every 10 pictures if I'm trying to hold the camera. I've owned Olys, Nikons and a Canon and none of them required a tripod to get a decent shot. So, for pictures of fast-moving rugrats on Thursday I'm going to use my ancient-but-trusty G1. I'm bummed, because I have a Sony camcorder and I adore it.....
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:11 PM   #3

Try this,

Take a 16 lb bowling ball, place it in the palm of your hand, and then extend your arm straight out. Slowly raise it to eye level, and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat this 5 times then do the same using the other hand. Now, you should have enough muscle to hold the 828 without shaking it, its all a matter of ergonimics and balance.

The Sony 828 is a little heavier than some other cameras, but a heavier camera, believe it or not is easier to steady in ones hand than those lightweight plastic ones especially if you have shaky hands. If you feel the 828 cant take a good image without a tripod have a look at this one, and there are dozens more on the forum,

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7025501

If ALL your shots are blurred without a tripod you're doing something wrong. I'm simply pointing out you either have a defective unit, or you're not using it properly. :lol:
Buckeye Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the weight-lifting tips! The camera store graciously took the F828 back, but I suspect the camera actually was defective and should go back to Sony. Regardless, I found it ergonomically awkward for my hands as well as heavy. I should have handled one in the store before I bought it, but the demo model was being fondled by another customer at the time I paid for mine. That's what I get for assuming/hoping it was going to be like an F707, but with a compact flash slot. By the way, I have successfully hand-held an F707 without any of the problems I had with the 828. I guess the F707 is my benchmark upper limit for size and weight. No Digital Rebels or D2Hs with big honkin' telephoto lenses for me, I'm afraid.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:53 PM   #5
csd

Next time your in the market (or if you still are) you might want to look at the Minolta DiMAGE A1 - it has a pretty nice antishake feature - I have found it useful especially when using 7X zoom handheld.
My guess is - in the coming years - more digital cameras will begin offering anti-shake functions.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:32 PM   #6

Default Thanks for the tip about the Minolta

I'll have to check it out.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:17 AM   #7

Default Late comment on steady camera --

Beside the point now the 828 has been returned but I am surprised nobody suggested a monopod. I use 3 variants - 1) a standard monopod. 2) The monopod with a small tripod hoseclamped to it with the tripod against my chest. This is astonishingly steady (SLIK MiniPro tripod). 3) The same as # 2 but the monopod is placed in a clipon holster on my belt. This allows maximum mobility and still a lot of steadying.

I suggest everybody with a new camera make a series of shots on a tripod at all available zoom lengths and aperatures, with an absolutely no-camera-motion perfectly exposed ashot at each zoom and fstop. This takes a couple of hours but you now have a good idea of what the camera is CAPABLE of - to compare your other shots with.

I have found that camera motion (even with stabilization) is the major source of below-par images. It is a nuisance to use tripods and monopods but much improves the end result. Note that (at least with my Pro90 IS and two stabilized 10D lenses) the IS can be used with the monopod setups but should be off with a tripod.

Good luck with your next try...
Humble is offline   Reply With Quote