Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Dec 29, 2003, 1:54 PM   #1

Default Just got a miniDV camcorder, what editing software to use?

I just got a miniDV camcorder, what editing software should I use? I know Premire is probably the best but I dont have $700 to pay. What would everyone recomend for me to use (I have never edited before)

BTW, I got a Sony TRV38
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2003, 7:56 AM   #2

The first thing you will need is a method of getting your video into your PC. This requires a 1394 firewire card. I hope you DV camcorder has a firewire port, although some now use USB.

Firewire cards are fairly cheap and a lot of them come with video editing software, so check on this before purchasing a separate software package.

Personally, I prefer Adobe Premier and the new Premier Pro 7 is outstanding. But, I know, the cost.

TechTV did a show on Video and had a section on low cost (<$100) editing software. Might want to chek it out at:

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/s...587943,00.html

By the way, you will need LOTS of hard disk space for video. Five minutes of DV video will take up about 1 GB, plus your hard disk must be up to the task of capturing DV video. It has to be able to keep up with the data stream, without loosing data. It is a very good idea to have a separate HD dedicated to just video.

Hope that helps.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:36 PM   #3

I already have firewire built into my mobo and the firewire cable. I have a 60GB HDD right now but I think im gonna pick up a 160GB one for $90. Thanks for the link on the editing software ill check that out now
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:46 PM   #4

Im gonna try Pinnacle
Old Dec 31, 2003, 2:24 PM   #5

Default I have tried a lot

I've tried a lot of different software and most are pretty good. Adobe is of course one of the finest, but you pay for that. I use a lot of Pinnacle Studio 8. It is very user friendly and has a lot of uefull features, and at about 100 bucks, you can't beat that, unless you go with Avid. They sell products in the range of Adobe, but they also have a free DV editor available. Granted it won't be the most powerfull software, but they are using it to entice you to buy the more expensive stuff.
If I were you, look for demos of many different brands and give them a try. I would however stay away from Videowave stuff, I never cared for that, and spent quite a but of money on it.

www.ulead.com (Videostudio)

www.pinnalcesys.com (Studio 8)

http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp

www.adobe.com (Premier)

www.roxio.com (Videowave) Fomerly MGI

Good Luck, and enjoy your camera, I do.

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 4:51 PM   #6

I have tried many different video editing software packages, including Avid, but I keep coming back to Premier.

Anyway, I agree that you should stay away from Videowave. Too simplistic and uses an odd interface. Pinnacle makes good software, although I have not tried it in a while.

Have fun.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote