Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:32 AM   #11

Toh ! The ordinary Panny FanBoy has arrived here too.
Stay away..
viganet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:23 PM   #12

I have the first pre-production Sony HX9V samples on-line.

ISO 100 resized to 4MP original size crop

ISO 1600 resized to 4MP original size crop

16x zoom 100% crop from the original 16MP image

I like what I see so far
more at my blog
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:34 PM   #13

Costa-

The results look impressive on these initial photos. In fact, they look better than I expected.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:22 AM   #14

comparing the HX9V with some DSLR cameras shows a good detail in the 16 MP

Sony HX9V

Nikon D7000

Sony A55

all pictures original size crop

more comparisons here:

http://hx9v.blogspot.com/2011/03/son...10-tz20-vs.htm
Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:28 PM   #15

OK, I am seriously looking at this camera , However, any of the reviews and or people that post opinions seem to be from professionals. Which ok I can understand since this camera isn't out yet. What I am looking for is someone to look at the image quality from the perspective of the average Dad who is going to take pictures of the kids, school functions, Vacations, etc. I have a canon A720IS which I love and works great. I have already used that as my video camera(it captures standard Def) and my still in one device that I can take with me. The A720 takes good pictures.... well let me change that it takes good pictures , me on the other side of the camera not so much... The trouble I have with it is speed. when I hit the button to take the picture to waits a good second or two before taking. If I press the button half way to pre focus it's better but it took a long time for me to get to the point of feeling the half way point to focus. My wife still has trouble with that. I want a camera where I hit the button and it takes the picture really quickly. Then there is what I think you guys call shot to shot time. Where you take one picture to where you can take another. Well it takes a good 15 to 20 seconds while I am waiting for it to write to the card. Anew card helped a little but still a long time. I miss some good opportunities. Want a camera that will let you take a picture quickly and quickly you can take another shot. Also it struggles in low light. Playing with the manual mode and reading some of these forums I manage to get a pretty good result but very noisy and grainy, and smudgy if I don't hold still. And I am not about to carry a tripod with me. This camera(hx9v) has a night shot mode that clears the noisy and take a decent pic right? And it has to be fully automatic. Though I am a C tech person I really don't want to think about how to set up the camera before taking a quick pic. This camera seems to have a decent auto mode. The HDR mode looks neat also. Now for the million dollar question. I keep hearing about image quality. That it lacks fine detail, grass and other areas can become very smudgy and loose a lot of detail. I have looked through some samples and to my untrained eye I don't see the problems. However, my wife scrapbooks and I like to play around wit the pic in post processing once in a while. Basically cropping, sharpening, adding borders, text etc. Will I run into a problem with the pics if I play around too much? I will also use pictures to make little movies using pinnacle studio. Will the muddiness and loss of detail prevent me from doing this? also I heard this camera takes 3mp images while recording video. How are the quality of those stills? Does the video recording pause when the picture is taken? So if someone can just step out of the photographer realm for a few and take a look from an average persons perspective and give me some info. I will greatly appreciate it. thanks.
Dsherman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:45 PM   #16

Hey Dsherman73 -

Does this review answer any of your questions?

http://www.digitalversus.com/sony-cy..._10599_16.html

Last edited by JohnWho; Apr 11, 2011 at 8:53 PM. Reason: Add link
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:57 AM   #17

I read that post, however it doesn't answer everything.

Video quality should be good as well as speed and low light should be OK, however I would still like to see what the 3mp pictures look like when taken in video. Dose the video stop or pause when the photo is taken? Also does it have any extra creative modes? IE, kids pets, fireworks, etc. IQ seems it will be OK for me. a non professional who scrapbooks and does basic editing, nothing fancy. We are going down to Disney World in august. It's my kids first trip and this camera looks like it will fit the bill. I was also looking at the Olympus sz-30MR but I haven't found ANY reviews on that, noting, not eve prerelease reviews? If anybody knows a place I can compair thy Olympus with the Sony it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dsherman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsherman73 View Post
I read that post, however it doesn't answer everything.

Video quality should be good as well as speed and low light should be OK, however I would still like to see what the 3mp pictures look like when taken in video. Dose the video stop or pause when the photo is taken? Also does it have any extra creative modes? IE, kids pets, fireworks, etc. IQ seems it will be OK for me.
I have an HX9V and love the video. To answer your questions:

There is no pause or stop when taking a still whilst videoing, nor does it make any noise or jerk (providing you press gently). I have to admit I haven't used the 3Mp option yet, I'm still blown away by AVCHD PS (28Mbps) @ 50p.

You have two options in movie mode, iAuto or Sceen. In Scn you have: Soft Snap, Landscape, Twilight, High Sensitivity, Beach and Snow. iAuto will chose what it thinks is suitable.

You can browse the manual on my website :

www.monmouthweather.co.uk/hx9v/index.html

but sorry there is no .pdf manual - Sony, in their wisdom, are only providing it in html format, which means printing it out is a no go. Grrrr~!

Oh, and...
Low sensitivity is good, you can pre-set the ISO compensation prior to recording but the only option you have when recording a movie is to activate the Focus Tracking.

Chris
nantycoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:17 PM   #19

I don't have the camera, but there is a link to the User's Guide:

http://www.monmouthweather.co.uk/HX9V/index.html

Maybe that will answer some more of your questions.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:12 PM   #20

Will there be different versions of the HX9V for USA (NTSC) and
Europe (PAL), or can I always select between 50/60 fps?

Which movie recording mode suits best for iMovie '11?
The HX9V is on the iMovie compatibility list, but how can this work?
It's a AVCHD 1080/60p camera -- but iMovie supports only 24/25/30 fps!
Will every second frame be lost?

Thanks!
Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote