Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 20, 2011, 8:25 PM   #31

Why, yes-- I just tried the demo of ClipWrap and found exactly the same thing. Audio only. No matter how I convert it. Any advice Macbeth?
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011, 11:15 PM   #32

If clipwrap does not let you take the 1080p60 and convert it to a viewable format on an Apple mac, then I see one other alternative. Someone said something about using Toast to do the conversion.

Can someone spell out the exact steps in order to do this? I don't want to spend the money on clipwrap or Toast 11 unless it actually works.

Any other alternatives? I'd like to take the 1080p60 and somehow get it to 1080p30 into a compliant format Apple iMovie or Final Cut Pro will understand.

I wonder if the new Final Cut Pro will play allow all these new formats...anyone?
sbcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2011, 7:25 AM   #33

>>Someone said something about using Toast to do the conversion. <<

I did-- a cuppla posts ago. It's a no-brainer so I won't go into the steps here. And I posted the link to the beautiful h.264 that Toast 10 made to youtube. The link is there, too. This file is easily imported to FCP.

>>I wonder if the new Final Cut Pro will play allow all these new formats...anyone?<<

Don't know, but previous version will not, natively anyway.
Old May 22, 2011, 8:40 AM   #34

Did find this free app. which does seem to re-wrap loss-lessly and audio remains intact Actually had to experiment with settings to re-encode and retain audio. Use aac (not AC3).

http://www.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/%7Emt/remux/
Old May 22, 2011, 12:56 PM   #35

I do not have Toast 10....and it's $80. If you could spell out the steps within Toast 10 that would make me feel more confident in buying it.

Is it a 1 step process or 2 step. Right now I have 2 conversions. I use Hand Bake to convert to an .m4v file and then I import that into Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 and export out as an AIC file. Anyway, that's a 2 step process and takes a ton of time. I figure a 2 hour convert I will tape (8 angles) will take 6 days per 2 hour clip.

Is Toast 10 faster. Again the final output file I need is something like AIC where I can edit it in Final Cut Pro 5.1.4.

Thanks for your patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotious View Post
>>Someone said something about using Toast to do the conversion. <<

I did-- a cuppla posts ago. It's a no-brainer so I won't go into the steps here. And I posted the link to the beautiful h.264 that Toast 10 made to youtube. The link is there, too. This file is easily imported to FCP.

>>I wonder if the new Final Cut Pro will play allow all these new formats...anyone?<<

Don't know, but previous version will not, natively anyway.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:31 PM   #36

SB-- did you try the re-wrapper I found?

http://www.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/%7Emt/remux/

Try it-- the re-wrapping process is much faster than re-encoding.

The Toast process is only one step to convert to QT, but of course you will need to import that to FCP and then out again. That encoding took about 10 min. for my 2 min. -- pretty time consuming for a two hour show ( 8 cameras really?)

Good luck-- Scott
Old May 23, 2011, 11:55 AM   #37

I haven't tried it yet. I'm curious, you rewrap it fine...then it's a quicktime file..and then what..you import that new clip into Final Cut Pro and export it to AIC or PRORES or whatever you want to edit in...is that the process?

HandBrake works pretty well for converting the 1080p60 to a .m4v file. And it's about 5:1 on my computer. Taking that file and exporting out to AIC (1080p30) was taking my machine something like 60:1. So if I have a 2 hour concert, then that's about 130 hours or about 5 days. Damn! And if I have 8 angles that's 40 days!

Is your way of doing it faster than that? I think the next version of Final Cut Pro will be out before then and maybe they'll be a way to speed this up 10x! I hope. Pain in the ass.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcooler View Post
I haven't tried it yet. I'm curious, you rewrap it fine...then it's a quicktime file..and then what..you import that new clip into Final Cut Pro and export it to AIC or PRORES or whatever you want to edit in...is that the process?

HandBrake works pretty well for converting the 1080p60 to a .m4v file. And it's about 5:1 on my computer. Taking that file and exporting out to AIC (1080p30) was taking my machine something like 60:1. So if I have a 2 hour concert, then that's about 130 hours or about 5 days. Damn! And if I have 8 angles that's 40 days!

Is your way of doing it faster than that? I think the next version of Final Cut Pro will be out before then and maybe they'll be a way to speed this up 10x! I hope. Pain in the ass.
I guess I don't get why you are not editing in FCP. Why do you have to "export to AIC or PRORES" to edit? Don't you edit first, THEN export?

Even on my old G5 tower my export times to high quality h.264 files were about 10:1, now about 1:1 on my new Imac. I was doing some long form stuff, too, so my 3 hour seminars would take about 30 hrs. to render. Painful! Have you tried going to h.264? What Mac do you own?

Again I ask-- are you really shooting eight different cameras on a two hour program. How can you possibly do that on anHX9V?
Old May 26, 2011, 9:38 AM   #39

I am impressed that you guys have the patience to work with 1080p at 60fps video--other than to see if you can do it. I just bought a HX7v and I am having a hell of a time getting my computer to handle AVCHD video shot at 17 and 24mbps rates. Curiously, my Canon HG10 shoots 1080i at 19mbps rates and my computer seems to handle it just fine. Is there anything special about the algorithm Sony is using that is mucking up some of our computers?

I am using a windows computer with a Core 2 Duo P8600 chip (2.4ghz and 8mb cache), 4 gigs of ram and a discrete ATI Radeon HD 4600 graphics chip and my computer still is choking on the mid and high (for the HX7v) AVCHD video (when viewed on VLC or any other player). I am getting pretty good results with 1080p MP4 at 12mbps and 1440x1080 AVCHD quality. If I would have to convert the higher profile files to mp4 or some other format, there's really no point in using them at all--at least for me.

I am also having another with excessive noise when filming with zoom above 6x in normal indoor (night time) lighting--particularly when shooting dark objects. I haven't seen that complaint anywhere else. Am I doing something wrong??

UPDATE: The excessive noise was only at night, in low/mixed halogen lighting. I tried duplicating the video with my JVC Everio GZ-HM300 mid-level HD camcorder and found that the HX7v IQ was around the same as the JVC in low light with both cameras producing useable, but not great video. In better lit conditions and in daylight, the quality on the Sony is great--certainly as good as any mid-range HD camcorder I have used (and not too far off from my Canon HG10).

Last edited by set2374; May 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM. Reason: Update
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 9:22 AM   #40

iMovie '11 can't yet import the HX9V's 1080x1920/60p footage directly.
 (BTW A good player for these 60p MTS files on the Mac is Movist (http://code.google.com/p/movist/downloads/list - FREE).)

You can use the Rewrap2M4V script (https://discussions.apple.com/message/11316343#11316343 - FREE - Note: Read this thread to have all required parts installed.), remux (http://www.nef.wh.uni-dortmund.de/%7Emt/remux/ - FREE) or ClipWrap (http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap/trial - latest version 2.3: $50) to convert (losslessly) to M4V or MOV, what iMovie can handle as 1080/30p.

For Rewrap2M4V and remux:

Rewrap to M4V files (losslessly!) which you can import (using 'optimize') in iMovie to AIC (the normal working format in iMovie).

For ClipWrap:

NOT just rewrap, but directly convert to AIC (always check 'Convert Audio to LPCM' - that's what iMovie needs). Then when you import the resulting MOV files into iMovie you'll notice that this goes more quickly, because iMovie has no more work to do - just "double checks" the files (no matter with or without 'optimize' checked - it's ignored).

I've checked thoroughly and can confirm that all 3 methods bring the same high quality output when I finally export using iMovie at 20Mbps (standard MOV export setting).

Note 1: Of course you can use Toast (expensive), but I don't know if the conversion quality is lossy.

Note 2: As far as I know Handbrake can't just rewrap to m4v - only convert (lossy).

I hope at least one method will work for you too!
Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote