Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:33 PM   #51

The Hx9v defintely does not take 3D videos and no "firmware upgrade" will ever allow it to, with one lens and sensor.

And the regular 3D still mode in my experience has never provided a convincing 3D image. The sweep 3D works ok.

If you want 3D video, and real 3D stills, get the 3D Bloggie.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:09 PM   #52

That's okay. All "built-in-3Ds" in Sony one-eyed-cams are "nothing" till so-la-la. Best (and cheapest) solution is Sony Bloggie3D for 3D photos & movies.
DonalDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:54 AM   #53

i am planning on buying this camera but my computer cannot play hd movies. i want to know if it will be able to just store the movies and transfer them to a dvd. also should i buy a sd card or a memory stick along with the camera
need help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:03 PM   #54

Hey need help -

Welcome to the board.

Tell us a bit about your computer - is it running Windows 7 and using the latest version of Windows Media Player, for example.

If it is, it should play the HX9V videos just fine. If your screen doesn't handle 1920 x 1080, WMP should run the videos at whatever lower resolution you are using.

If you have a Mac, I'm sure one of the other folks here will be able to help if you let us know what Mac you have.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:14 AM   #55

well my computer has windows xp as it is a very old one and cannot handle newer versions of windows(i never felt the need).what about the memory card/stick?
need help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:55 AM   #56

Ah, you should be able to copy and view the images, but probably can not view the videos although you should be able to copy and move them.

You will need a SD card or Sony stick. For SD they recommend "Class 4" or above. Sizewise, I'd recommend anything over 4 G. You can download the manual from sony's website and it shows approximations of how many images/video will fit on the various sized card. I prefer the SD card mainly because I have a few of them from my previous camera.

I'm assuming your PC will handle either card. Otherwise you might need a USB adapter.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:21 AM   #57

Default Hx9v Video: A Trip to Yankee Stadium

http://www.vimeo.com/24980658

A 108060p video you can play and download.

"No video cameras are allowed in Yankee Stadium."

Good thing the Hx9v is not a video camera.

A cold, wet and windy day.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:08 PM   #58

Well, that "non-video camera" sure caught the "cold, wet and windy" very well.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:17 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
http://www.vimeo.com/24980658

A 108060p video you can play and download.

"No video cameras are allowed in Yankee Stadium."

Good thing the Hx9v is not a video camera.

A cold, wet and windy day.
Wow, is it me or was the quality of that video on par with a high end consumer camcorder. I have a Canon HG10 camcorder and it produces great video, but I really don't think it's better than the video you just showed us on the HX9V. How do you find the 9V's video quality in lower light conditions??? I have a the HX7V (wanted the 9V, but no one had them in stock). Is the 1080 at 60p that much better looking than the 1080 at 60i (at 24 mbps bit rates). In fairness, I didn't see a meaningful improvement in IQ with the jump from 17mbps to 24mbps, so the 60p seems really interest. What kind of software can you edit that 60p footage with?

Anyway, that's impressive stuff. That's one heck of a camera... now if only Sony could fine tune the tones so the reds are oversaturated and eliminate the overly warm tones in the stills.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:27 AM   #60

Hey guys I just found this website from google and it seems to be the most informative.

Right now I have an HX5V and am wondering if the HX9V is a worthy successor or not instead of just incremental upgrades.

My major problem with the HX5V is that the video only goes up to 1080i...i as in interlaced. Youtube seems to not de-interlace and my videos look terrible and I am having a hard time with finding a program to do all of that. However I see alot of tests from HX9V users uploading their 1080p videos (60fps) directly to youtube with no editing and they look great (again I am assuming this is because the video is not interlaced). So I am beggining to think I should just sell my HX5V and give up on interlaced and go straight to the HX9V. Also can Windows Movie Maker edit the 1080p videos of the HX9V (chopping, merging etc)?

Some other questions I have is:

1. Are the colors more accurate in the HX9V than in the HX5V? Also are the pictures sharper even if very slightly? I am pretty content with the HX5V picture quality as it is but even incremental upgrades in those 2 would be a big improvement IMO.

2. I read that the HX9V takes higher resolution Panorama pictures..how does that work exactly? I saw a video and the guy was holding the camera sideways or something.

3. How is the new advanced auto feature? I read it can automatically take twilight mode shots etc? However it said it only takes 3 pictures and merges them? On the HX5V it takes 6 images not only 3. Also does the backlight HDR also take 3 images now (an improvement from 2 in the HX5V)? How accurate was the camera in choosing twilight mode in lowlight conditions?

4. And lastly I have a 16gb card...for how long could I record at 1080p do you reckon?

Thanks for all the help and great website you got here

Last edited by forchwo; Jun 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM.
forchwo is offline   Reply With Quote