Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:34 AM   #61

Also this question might be kind of irrelevant but is the HX9V made in Japan? I prefer "made in Japan" over "made in China". On the Sony website the HX9V is backordered I am assuming because of the earthquake (RIP to all the victims) though I hope they don't switch production to China when I order mine lol.

Edit: I see my post went to the next page, I hope nobody forgets my question on the previous page, sorry for the double post.

Last edited by forchwo; Jun 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
forchwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:10 PM   #62

My HX9V has a sticker on the bottom that says "Made in Japan".
Old Jun 18, 2011, 4:42 PM   #63

I'll give these a quick answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchwo View Post
1. Are the colors more accurate in the HX9V than in the HX5V? Also are the pictures sharper even if very slightly? I am pretty content with the HX5V picture quality as it is but even incremental upgrades in those 2 would be a big improvement IMO.
You might look at the comparisons at:

Digital Versus

Quote:
2. I read that the HX9V takes higher resolution Panorama pictures..how does that work exactly? I saw a video and the guy was holding the camera sideways or something.
Yes - in the "High Resolution" Panorama Mode. It allows the camera to create a Panoramic image that is 10480 (wide) 4096 (high). What you saw in that video is exactly what the user does to capture this image, then the camera does all of the work. The resultant image is over 42 M in size.

Quote:
3. How is the new advanced auto feature? I read it can automatically take twilight mode shots etc? However it said it only takes 3 pictures and merges them? On the HX5V it takes 6 images not only 3. Also does the backlight HDR also take 3 images now (an improvement from 2 in the HX5V)? How accurate was the camera in choosing twilight mode in lowlight conditions?
You might want to check your information. The HX9V uses 6 images in twilight mode, too. Backlight HDR uses 3 as you've mentioned.

Can't answer your "how accurate" question - I suspect about the same or maybe a little better than HX5V assuming they've improved the software.

Quote:
4. And lastly I have a 16gb card...for how long could I record at 1080p do you reckon?
29 minutes per video is the built-in limitation of the system for video at any resolution.

I'm not finding this in the manual, but based on my 4G card, I suspect using the highest 1080p/60fps setting, a 16G card would give about 1.5 hours.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:52 PM   #64

Well the HX5V doesn't have a true "handheld twilight" in the automatic you have to choose it manually. It only has one automic setting while from what I understand the HX9V has 2. Thanks for the reply in the digital versus site the HX9V looks noticeable sharper. Seems like a worthy upgrade.

I was considering buying a nex-3 but given the true 1080p of the HX9V it might actually be a better choice. In fact I compared the nex-5 right now to the HX9V using that website and the only measure where the nex-5 truly outperforms the HX9V in quality is the "Barbie: detail without flash". The HX9V seems to be a pretty impressive camera.

Last edited by forchwo; Jun 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 3:54 PM   #65

BTW I read you can take pictures while recording? How does that work? You just push down on the button while taking a video and it takes a picture without interrupting the video? Seems like a good feature.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:12 PM   #66

Hey Gang. I have a few simple questions. and I am still pulling or tearing which way I want to go about my decision. I jsut got a WX-9. a dream of a camera, it truely is.

The Battery I guess lasts a good Hour for video. Only allowing 30 minutes clips, and or 2gb file.

Does the HX-9 last about the Same, or a lot longer, do you think it is a Bigger battery?

I Love the Compact size. I think if I wer to switch to the Hx-9 I will be getting HD1080P that the wx-9 does not have, and control of Optical stab. Do you think there is much a difference , knowing the lenses and optical zoom, and body?

What are your thoughts. love to hear member fishycomics
Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:39 PM   #67

I assume the HX9V has similar battery life to the HX5V..assuming that I did my own test and I got 88 minutes of recording at 1080i before my battery died.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:09 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by forchwo View Post
BTW I read you can take pictures while recording? How does that work? You just push down on the button while taking a video and it takes a picture without interrupting the video? Seems like a good feature.
Yes, that is exactly how it works.

Also, using the supplied Sony PMB software, while viewing a 1920 x 1080 video, you can "capture" a frame at the full 1920 x 1080 size.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:30 AM   #69

With the HX-( anotherquestion that concerns me is the GPS uses XX amount of power, can this feature be turned Off. I hear people saying it decreases the battery .
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:46 AM   #70

Yes, fishycomics -

the GPS feature can be turned off.

Of course since it uses the battery when "on", it decreases the amount of battery power available for shooting/viewing.