Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:56 PM   #1

Default new hx1 user questions

I am trying out an HX1.

Some questions:

When I change a setting will it always be permanent.
Ex. I changed to spot metering for taking a photo in dappled hi contrast lite. It worked!!! My subject hubby was not totally washed out. I was in P setting. Now that spot metering is staying there.

SOme settings I want to stay reset permanently like the sounds the camera plays. I was glad to get rid of them. And turninf off digital zoom was another .

Another problem I have with this camera and other cameras is how to change my mind when I am drilling thru a menu and realize I don't want this at all. What I do is either turn the camera off or change the mode. Surely there must be a better way.

And now my big question of the day. When I photograph my fireplace the hearth and mantle appear to be going in different directions. I tried to line up with the edge of the lcd. Is this an outcome of the 28mmm size (happened with other cameras i've tried) or is it something I should be doing.? Is there a leveling option?

Appreciate any help you can give me with these questions. My 14 days is running out.

Now I hope I can attach photo. oops my file size is way too big. In addition to learning to use the hx1 I'm learning to use my mac laptop. Will have to learn how to resize files. A quick glance did not provide me with this info. I'll forward the photos to my pc where I can resize and add the attachments later today.

Thanks for all the info and tips I get from this website / forums.
texasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:44 PM   #2

Here are the attachments to go with my first email.
Attached Images

Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:01 AM   #3

hello texas mom.. i'm not sure if i understand your questions or maybe its just me.. sorry about that..
Quote:
When I change a setting will it always be permanent.
if you are using p mode, yes it will maam.. also goes for manual, shutter priority and aperture priority modes.. the settings stays there..
Quote:
And turninf off digital zoom was another .
i also don't understand this.. sorry.. anyway, for digital zoom settings.. i always use "smart zoom" over "precision".. its inside the settings menu..
Quote:
Another problem I have with this camera and other cameras is how to change my mind when I am drilling thru a menu and realize I don't want this at all. What I do is either turn the camera off or change the mode. Surely there must be a better way.
i'm not sure what this is.. but you can just use the direction keys for change/selecting options in menus.. its much easier.. up/down for main options then left right for sub options.. instead of turning the camera off or changing the mode if you dont want the settings..
Quote:
When I photograph my fireplace the hearth and mantle appear to be going in different directions
it is because of the difference in distance and positioning of the fireplace from the hearth.. just a suggestion if you want alignment and easier framing for your photo.. The HX1 has an option to switch on a grid to help you with alighment.. just turn on the "Grid line" option after the "af illuminator" option inside the menu settings

I'm no pro.. I just happen to own a HX1 for a while now.. Hope I helped you in some way..

Here are some tips and tricks for our HX1 created by fellow HX1 users.. I just extracted some that worked for me..
1. Set EV to -0.3 to get better detail and colours due to over-exposure under default factory setting
2. For sharpest images, set image size to 6M (16:9). This uses 5 bits-per-pixel in its encoding, while most of the others use only 4 bits. This can make a difference in picture quality.
3. Set NR to -1 for sharper images due to Sony's aggresive noise algorithms.
4. Half depress shutter all the time to lock the focus before you fully press the trigger
5. Use "anti-motion blur" mode for night shots instead of "hand held twilight". Better results. However twilight give better DOF (blurred background)
6. Turn DRO to off unless you really want to use it. reduces geometric distortion when using full telephoto.
7. Turn on Smart Zoom when you use the 5-MP mode, as this reduces the number of encoding processes from two to one. You also get an original encoding of 5 bits-per-pixel and without Smart Zoom, the first process uses just 4 bits.
8. Use the 720p mode for HD video, as I found that it looks sharper than the 1080p video.
9. For night photos using handheld twilight, adjust EV by -0.7 to -2.0 to get better details.
10. "Antimotion Blur” exposes exactly, "Handheld Twilight" must be corrected about -1.0 EV. Can be used in day time to reduce noise
11. White paper with lots of tips on the H series (but not specifically for the HX1) http://www.aakatz.com/whitepaper/whitepaper/index.htm
12. Avoid zoom extremes - more distortion at extreme ends. If you have to use it, set max zoom then pull back slightly
13. Set Sharpness, Contrast and Color to high in P mode
14. You can replay by pressing the "PLAY" button directly instead of pressing the "ON" switch then pressing "PLAY". This prevents the lens cap form popping out.

Last edited by sprig9an; Mar 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM.
sprig9an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:54 PM   #4

Thankyou, thank you, thankyou

I have read your suggestions several times and look forward to trying a few things tomorrow.

What is DRO ?

So I need to turn off setting changes I make each time I use one? Like the spot metering which helped me photograph a person in bright sun. The person skin tones were not blown out with the spot metering set to on.

This seems like it could be a challenge to remember but I'll consider it a duty.

I like the HX1 so far and hope to have FUN with it as suggested in the white paper.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:53 PM   #5

TexasMom-

I realize the camera is new to you but if you get into the habit of reading the symbols shown on the LCD screen when you turn the HX1 on, a lot of your problems could be avoided. The symbols on the LCD screen will actually tell how the camera is then set-up.

With that knowledge you then know exactly what you have to change for your new photo environment. If you get into a habit of doing things this way, it is more organized and less confusing. Initially I had to write down a list of how I found the HX1 camera when I turned it on. Then, I corrected those settings to meet the demands for my new photo.

The AAkatz/White Paper was written for the H2 and H5 cameras (Both CCD cameras!), so you have take what is written as general photographic guidelines only as none of it is specific to the HX1, as the last poster mentioned.

Whenever you are in a less than normal lighting situation, do not hesitate to use the Hand Held Twilight Mode, as it will "stack" 6 photos and merge them into a single photo, taking the best image quality from each of those 6 images. Please keep in mind that it only works for stationary and nearly stationary subjects.

You can perfectly level any photo in post processing. Picasa 3.0 is free from www.google.com and it can do it. See the attached photo.

Sarah Joyce

DRO=Dynamic Range Optimizer
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 8:58 PM   #6

TexasMom-

Here is a shot of my husband that I took today with the HX1

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice Sarah. I had already discovered that the recs in the white paper did not apply to hx1.
I will learn to look at the symbols.
I feel like I'm getting to know your hubby very well!!!!
I will be making myself a sheet to guide me for settings I know I will use a lot. I'm leaving grid lines on but still get crooked photos. Hmmm.
Photos on the P setting seem to produce better IQ.
JR
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:10 PM   #8

JR-

You are correct. Photos taken in the "P" or Programed Auto Mode have better image quality. Straightening your photos is very easy indeed in the FREE Picasa 3.0 available from www.google.com.

Sarah Joyce