Administrator

Default Full Sony F828 review posted

Just posted is our full Sony F828 review

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2004, 1:46 AM   #2

Default Newby Question: Sony F828

Thank you for the detailed review and great information. I am looking to move up from my 3MB camera to a more professional model. My biggest issue has been having a zoom that works well in a theater setting. I have a big problem taking pictures of dance performances from far back in the theater. I am hoping that this new 8MB 7X Zoom camera is the answer to my problems.

In short I need a camera that works well in the following settings:
1) from 30 to 45 feet away
2) Fast action
3) low lighting (not sure this is a real problem)
4) It should be realtively quite given pics are taken during performance (Since someone brought it up)

Anyone with experience in these setting that could provide advice- it would be greatly appreciated. I can forward an example of the type of pictures I am taking by request. Thanks again for the input.

Best,

Juan Proanp
juanproano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 5:24 PM   #3

Default DP Review's final went up today

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

For me, it caused the DSC-F828 to get crossed off my short list.
Sony has probably just sold another EOS-300D instead.

The noise was the big standout. It's only tolerable at ISO64,
and since Sony is apparently lying about the ISO, that's
actually more like ISO40.

The CA seems like it can be made to go away with attention
to f-stop and focal length, but in a fixed-lens camera, this
means you have to worry about it on every shot. No thanks.

The "Real mode" color seems entirely useless.

Added to the long list of other known problems and deliberate
de-featuring by Sony, the Dork Angel is a serious disappointment,
but exactly what I feared when Sony shipped without final reviews.
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:16 AM   #4

Default Re: DP Review's final went up today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

For me, it caused the DSC-F828 to get crossed off my short list.
Sony has probably just sold another EOS-300D instead.

The noise was the big standout. It's only tolerable at ISO64,
and since Sony is apparently lying about the ISO, that's
actually more like ISO40.

The CA seems like it can be made to go away with attention
to f-stop and focal length, but in a fixed-lens camera, this
means you have to worry about it on every shot. No thanks.

The "Real mode" color seems entirely useless.

Added to the long list of other known problems and deliberate
de-featuring by Sony, the Dork Angel is a serious disappointment,
but exactly what I feared when Sony shipped without final reviews.

I feel the same way

I was seriously looking forward to this camera , but have found time and again , no matter how sugar coated , all reviewers finding the same problems .

Now whether or not they are truly serious or not is meaningless when you factor in how many "lessor" / older cameras do not have this problems. Add insult to injury with the introduction of the Cannon EOS Rebel and you have a Sony debacle that I'm not prepared to buy into .

That's too bad , but Sony has just given a textbook example to the old adage , "Close , but no cigar" ..... At least for this consumer they have
PetreTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:22 AM   #5

Default I'm on my second 828.

Yes I purchased one a few days before x-mas. The issues about CA and noise made me crazy. I like the camera a lot but I sold it on ebay because of Steves and Phils reviews.

That said,

I repurchased the 828 because I love the features and the images are killers. Just shoot at 64/100 and watch your live histograms.

That said the 828 is not the camera for night time sports or your child in a play. The low ISO requires a lower shutter speed that translates into subject blur on stage.

Please read the complete luminous landscape review and followup to get a better understanding of this excellent product. I am looking forward to Sony's 828 replacement.

As far as the Canon SLR's they are wonderful. I have owned the D30 and just sold my D60. However, I did not want a removeable lens DSLR. I will be looking to see if Oly comes out with a faster operating E20.
Jeff Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:39 AM   #6

Default Thank You

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Sadly, I must say that I will pass on the Sony and wait for other entrants into the market. Again, thanks for the great advice.
juanproano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:00 PM   #7

Hi just joined in to post a query on the f828. I recently obtained the 828 ("upgraded" from the 717) and noticed that at night shots using its flash at iso 64 or 100, the stills appear to have grey overcast.

Ive tried to adjust its white balance, flash white balance, exposure levels, but consistently has the same overcast. At full auto it seems to be less but still is existent. Is it because of the rgb-E or is there a setting that I have overlooked?

I tried to take the same shots using the 717 with the same settings and achieved better results.
Dindo Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:07 PM   #8

Hi Dindo,
Reference your querry, sorry but my pictures come out great.
I certainly do not have any of the 'grey overcast' you mention.

I would recommend you try another 828 (if possible).
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 7:18 PM   #9

Default What a dissapointment

Hi, .......Well I decided to ignore all the roumours and try an 828 for myself , I have sadly returned it after 1 week and returned to my beloved 717 (I have had a 717 since its release in the UK aprox 18 months and I rate it as exceptional)
I was ready for some noise and maybe a bit of PF, but the overall image quality didnt match up to my 717 (IMHO)
The curious thing is ....why did Sony release a camera with such glaring imperfections, the camera is obviously not cheap to produce and with more R&D, I am sure they could get round the issues.
Now what I would really like is a camera with the build and features of the 828 (28-200 zoom, 30fps movie , CF etc).....with the image quality of the 717. I am sure it will be along very soon.
keenbeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:54 PM   #10

There does appear to be a split in using the Sony F828.
It is an area that although users can identify, you still can not put your finger though on why some users find this an issue whilst others have no problems.

I know in my instance and I am sure I speak for the majority of positive users. We know the camera, we know of its limitations. We have compared it against other cameras (including the 717) and find it a better model.

Sometimes I feel as if the negative users either have not tried the camera (are just anti sony or simply agree with their friends) or that they have not used the camera properly.

I know certain users will now shout back "shut up, you obviously don't use it properly yourself, otherwise you would see the errors".

But I defy anyone to look on my wall at a few of the pictures taken, blown up to 36 x 24 and not say "what beautiful pictures".

So, I'm sorry to all those who have had problems with their Sony F828. I understand your frustration.
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote