Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:24 PM   #1

Default DSC-W170 Still Image

Seems like everybody is using the newer cameras these days, but I'm still creating images with my Sony DSC-W170. Here is one I recently did. Of course it has had some serious 'artsy' work done to it in PP with Photoscape (I love this freeware tool). But for me the image is just the foundation on which to build the artwork. Sometimes the image stands on its own, but more often than not, especially with compact cameras, PP is required to get the most out of the image.

Enjoy and keep making great art with your life images.

L'duck <><
Attached Images

locoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:23 PM   #2

L'duck-

Usually I can identify just about any airplane. This one at first looked like an AT6/SNJ/Harvard/Wiraway, but then on closer examination, the landing gear profile seems wrong. Can you tell us some information about this plane. The photo looks very good indeed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:07 PM   #3

Sarah,

Actually it IS an AT6 Texan. It's a metallic model I got at Hobby Lobby some time ago (I love WWII planes). It's on the floor in my home office. I put my DSC-W170 on a small tripod, set it up and set the timer for 10 second delay. It's the first pic I've posted (I plan to show more soon).

BTW - My wife and I were born and raised in Oregon, I am from McMinnville and she is from Sheridan. We moved to the DFW area from Bend in 2004 on a job transfer. My cameras include a Nikon D60, the Sony DSC-W170, an older Canon A95 and Pentax ZX-L 35mm. Hoping to get either the FZ35 or the HX7V for my birthday coming up soon.

L'duck <><
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:24 AM   #4

L'duck-

Well with the price of the FZ-35 here lately, it is hard to go wrong with that one if the camera size is not a factor.

Thanks for confirming that the airplane is an AT6. I actually carrier qualed in a SNJ, and many years later retired as a Boeing 747 Captain and Check Pilot for TWA.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5

mtclimber - I built, flew and competed with radio control planes years ago. Does that qualify me a pilot (grin)?? Our youngest son just completed jump school training in the Army at Ft. Benning, GA. So he has wings of a different kind..... His next duty station is Ft. Richardson, Alaska.

I posted a couple more shots from my Sony on the Architecture forum if you're interested.

Yeah, the price of the FZ-35 is compelling and no, size is not an issue. I do like the larger high res screen, the HHT AMB and panoramic modes of the HX7V. I could see them being very useful features for what I like to shoot. I just wish Sony would have left them at 10mp instead of trying to snowball the public by pumping them to 16mp. The mp race needs to stop until sensor technology gets better or they get big enough to support the higher res numbers. The problem is the generally camera buying public doesn't have a clue while the enthusiast, semi and pro communities know the truth. If they want to continue down this path then at least give us the ability to dial back the mp count to increase quality. Give us some control back!!

Gary <><
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:29 PM   #6

Here's an additional sampling of shots with my Sony DSC-W170. All have been PP'd with Photoscape.

#1 - Fire station in downtown San Antonio.
#2 - New Mustang at Dallas car show.
#3 - Basketball hoop in parking lot at work.
#4 - Huge grasshopper in bush next to my house.
#5 - My youngest son.

Keep making art from life's images!!

L'duck <><
Attached Images

Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:44 PM   #7

Nicely done, Gary=

I too have some serious qualms about the 16mp on the HX7.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:37 PM   #8

Thank you Sarah.

Costa's blog site makes a compelling case for the new 16mp Sony's, and the new WX-10 with it's faster f2.4 7x zoom lens might just be the perfect compromise, but I'm more than sold on the FZ-35 at the current Amazon price. Another selling feature for me is that I have some natural uncontrollable tremble and I think power O.I.S will help me do a better job of capturing non-blurry images. I use a tripod when I can and keep my ISO as low as possible. I know some folks (Ken Rockwell, not to drop names or anything) brag about not needing a 'stinking tripod'. Well kudos to them (him) but one day they/he will be in their/his mid-50's and shaking like a leaf then we'll see. If you want to continue to be active in this hobby as you get older you will need a good monopod/tripod or shoot everything at ISO 3200 (grin)!!

Have a great week!

Gary <><
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:22 AM   #9

Point well made, Gary-

Sarah Joyce