Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:39 PM   #11

The 828 has only manual zoom

Not so. 828 has fastest auto focus found from prosumer digital cameras. Still I would like to see Anti Shake system that Minolta has in their Dimage A1.

Good review of Sony 828 from a pro:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../sony828.shtml
Jussi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 7:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi78
The 828 has only manual zoom

Not so. 828 has fastest auto focus found from prosumer digital cameras. Still I would like to see Anti Shake system that Minolta has in their Dimage A1.
Sorry ops:
What I meant was that it has manual zoom but not manual focus, of course it has auto for everything

Excuse my English, I'm from Argentina
Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 8:56 PM   #13

It does have a manual focus mode, to the best of my knowledge.
Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 10:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingthailand
It does have a manual focus mode, to the best of my knowledge.
Declan
that's "fly-by-wire"
it's electrical, so the feel of focusing isn't the same as a real manual focus

besides, I never could focus manually with a EVF, it's not that good to see the focus or not (with or without the digital magnification)
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:03 AM   #15

That's true, it is fly-by-wire, but it is still manual focus. I totally agree that trying to manually focus with an EVF is hopeless.

Declan
Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingthailand
That's true, it is fly-by-wire, but it is still manual focus. I totally agree that trying to manually focus with an EVF is hopeless.

Declan
that was my point
ok..it has "manual focus"...now...it's useless
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:01 PM   #17

Interesting that most people are comparing the 828 to digital SLRs instead of other fixed lens digicams. Apples and Oranges. I think that just the fact that the Sony is being compared to other digital SLRs says a lot about the quality of the images comming from this camera. I've seen most of the reviews around the web and from what I'm seeing the images look outstanding compared to other fixed lens digicams and are holding their own when compared to some of the lower end digital SLRs. On the various forums you hear about is how noisy this camera is, maybe so, as far as being compared to a digital SLR it is, however when compared to other fixed lens digicams this camera more than holds its own. As far as noise goes that dosen't necessarily mean that prints made from this camera will be noisy (grainy). My experience sofar with 8X10 prints has been outstanding with virtually no discernable niose when shooting in the tiff mode in daylight. If I had had the budget to buy a digital SLR with a couple of lenses and a flash of course I would have done that. For a $1000.00 I don't think your going to get more camera for your money right now, at least probably not for at least 6 months :lol: !!

Do I have issues with Sony hell yes I do the image viewing software for one is a joke. It's obvious to me that whoever designed this software is not a photographer. the raw mode is virtually useless with the proprietary software that it takes to process the image. The buffer is too small, some of the controls could have been better laid out. On the other hand the fact that Sony included support for CF cards shows that they are listening to some of what consumers are saying, we can only hope that they will listen to a lot of the valid points that are being made here and other forums around the web and make the needed changes that will truely make this camera a benchmark in digital photography.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:27 AM   #18

Default A free raw converter

> the raw mode is virtually useless with the proprietary software
> that it takes to process the image.

There's also an open source raw converter supporting ~100 digicams, including F828. It's a command line tool and probably cannot be run as a PS plugin, but may be worth of trying.

Refering an author:

--- clip ---
That program is called dcraw.c, and it's become a standard tool within and without the Open Source world. It's small (about 3000 lines), portable (standard C libraries only), free (both "gratis" and "libre"), and when used skillfully, produces better-quality output than the tools provided by the camera vendor.
--- clip ---

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/
Yaggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2004, 9:05 AM   #19

Wonderful link for anyone interested in looking under the hood of image file processing.

Declan
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:22 AM   #20

I agree with 'Harleyguy'....... stop comparing this camera to a DSLR. It is not, never will be nor tries to be.
However, as a 'Pro-Sumer' goes, it beats the pants off the competition.

If you want the features of a DSLR then go spend 1500+ min.
On the other hand, for a measly 749 (or even cheaper) go give yourself a suprise.......... you wont be dissapointed.

By the way 1 - prints at A3 and highrer have come out outstanding for this camera.

:idea: By the way 2 - if noise is still an issue, then why not try either Noise Ninja, Neat Image and Grain Surgery (all three are used to reduce GRAIN in photos).
Ardent is offline   Reply With Quote