Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:36 PM   #1

Default A little letdown over Sony 828

I know, expectations should always be curtailed...but I had tremendous expectations for the 828. I have put off the purchase of my next digicam waiting for it to be available. I have a general question that I would be interested if anyone else feels the same way. I see the new printer technology, with the Canon i960 and the upcoming Epson R800, producing truely buttery smooth images. This type of technology will also reproduce either a buttery smooth digital file, or a noisy one. All of the samples I have seen from this camera have noise and CA. Yes, it is among the best of the last generation of digicams, but I was looking it to be the launch of the next generation. Looking at the CMOS produced images from the Digital Rebel make you say to yourself...."the new generation is here" When I look at the Sony images I see the the last generation refined. And lets talk about the RAW fiasco. I am upgrading to Photoshop CS to finally be able to work with 16 bit files and NOT convert to 8 bit. Having the RAW files crippled by a propriatory format and output to 8 bits is again living in the past and not a system ready to launch into the future (Photoshop CS future that is). Serious hobbyists and pros will be considering this camera and will see these as great negatives. Can you imagine this camera, and it's fantastic lens.... with the Canon CMOS chip? Wow, holy digicam batman. I am glad those purchasing this camera are enjoying it. Anyone else share my letdown?
boyerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2004, 8:03 AM   #2

It's only a camera, nothing more and nothing less. Don't fret it. I am sure there will be lots of new stuff to drool over in the spring.

The digital rebel is hardly the next generation. It uses the same chip as the 10D. As for putting the 300D chip into the 828, only if you want a camera that is about 4 or 5 times larger. The chip in the 828 is teensy. The big lens out front, I think, makes people forget how small the 828 chip really is.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3

Default I feel your pain.

Yep, feeling the same way. I was sooo ready to buy the 717 until I heard about the 828 coming out "soon". I read and read and read and had myself worked into a near lather just awaiting a positive review from a production model camera. The reveiws came and I started feeling more than a bit let down. So many great features but in the end it all comes down to image quality. "Moderate" noise and "above average" CA. I'm pricing the 717's again thinking I'll save myself a couple hundred bucks, use it for two to three years and by then the SLR market will be in the same price range.

Am I over reacting? Are the reviews just overly critical as a result of the hysteria leading up to this cameras release?
Don0946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 10:36 PM   #4

As someone who bought an F717 a couple months before the 828 was first announced, I'm almost glad to hear of people being disappointed with the 828. When I first heard about the 828, I wished I'd waited. That's a silly way to feel, of course, since anyone who waits around for the perfect camera will wait forever and never take any pictures. I took many pictures with my F717 that I couldn't have taken if I didn't have it.

It's unfortunate that the 828 has a lot of noise. My next camera will be a dSLR. I see noise as public enemy #1 in digital images. Chromatic aberrations are something I've not really had many problems with. I've only taken a few photos that had really bad CA, and they weren't very good pictures to begin with.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:01 PM   #5

Hey

Get a Canon Digital Rebel / 300D
TRUE Dslr
same price (U$ 999)

forget about noise (almost not noticeable at 1600iso..)
no Chromatic Aberration (with the supplied lens at least or canon 80-200)

and u can use more than 50 EF Canon lens, not to mention others from Sigma,Tamron,Vivitar, etc
and alot of flashes

Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:11 PM   #6

The fact that it's all plastic doesn't bother you?
Don0946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:19 PM   #7

It doesn't bother me
It's lighter than magnesium and it's not cheap plastic at all

Of course I'll prefer magnesium , that would be the Canon 10d wich is $ 600 extra bucks , wich I dont have

My former Olympus (c-700) was half magnesium, don't miss it at all...all those shutter lags, the slow focus and zoom wich aren't manual...
The 828 has only manual zoom ,,,,the manual focus is still fly-by-wire
and how I hate the EVF's !!!
Nothing like a good old SLR

IMHO

Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 6:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic Twelve
Hey

Get a Canon Digital Rebel / 300D
TRUE Dslr
same price (U$ 999)

forget about noise (almost not noticeable at 1600iso..)
no Chromatic Aberration (with the supplied lens at least or canon 80-200)

and u can use more than 50 EF Canon lens, not to mention others from Sigma,Tamron,Vivitar, etc
and alot of flashes

Yep, I know. That, and not the 828, is the camera I wish I'd waited for (except I didn't know about it early enough). I can't do it now, though. Can't afford it. I've made a commitment to Sony by buying those damn memory sticks, and I'd have to start all over with CF media if I got a Digital Rebel.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:12 PM   #9

Thank you for your views...yes it is just a camera, but it had the hype of being the next generation of digital. It went from being the obvious choice (before it was finally available) to being just one of many choices of last generation of refinements.....such as the Minolta A1, the Canon G5, Olympus 5060...etc. The Sony has 8mp, yes, but to fill my CF cards faster than 5 mp files would without an equivalent improvement in quality is no longer exciting. For a 60% increase in file size, I do not see nearly that much improvement in final quality. I do quite a bit of RAW shooting and this camera loses big time with its poorly thought out RAW file system. I just do not understand some of the choices Sony made with this camera...and it ended up being a letdown. I have had 6 or 7 SLR outfits in my life, but now I have really enjoyed the size and simplicity of carrying and shooting with Digicams. That probably has kept me from buying the Canon DRebel. But in the end (listening Sony?) the quality of the image file is paramount. I would buy a Canon G5 right now instead of the Sony for half as much. Instead, I am waiting for the first high quality digicam of the new generation....such as one based on the Canon CMOS, or the Foveon X3. Hot CCD's I have now. Just one persons opinion. I enjoy the discussion! :P
boyerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 4:13 PM   #10

Comparing the 828 to DSLRs like the DRebel is ok in terms of price range with standard lens, but consider that you will have to buy additional lenses to get the same lens range that the 828 (and other "prosumer" cams like the Minolta A1) offer, and you have to carry a lot more stuff around... OK, the 828 is not exactly a pocket cam either, but it is still well portable. It depends on your needs and preferences - what counts for me is that I'd probably not taken 50% of my best shots if I had opted for the "big" DSLR solution instead of a cam that I can take along at any time.
fly_on_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote