Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:13 PM   #1

Default Sony 828: Too much noise and CA????

This is the first time I've ever posted a question on any forum so if I've breached any unwritten rules please forgive me.

My question regards the Sony DSC F828. I was eagerly awaiting its arrival and in all the research I've done it would appear that it's a fantastic camera and the only concerns revolve around some moderate noise levels and above average CA on low light, contrast shots and long zoom shots. Should these be the kicker for me in pushing me towards the DSC F717 instead. It looks like a healthy upgrade and the money doesn't bother me but does anyone know how severe the above mentioned issues are. I won't be taking a lot of low light shots and it's likely that most of my photography will be in normal daylight or indoor flash work. Any thoughts from someone who's had a taste of this camera already would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Don
Don0946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2004, 8:18 AM   #2

I don't have the camera, yet, but I do plan on buying it within a month or two. If you look at some of the better 828 photos posted on the forums, you will see that it is capable of taking georgous images with very natural color and excellent resolution.

It doesn't have good low light performance, but for me that is not a problem, as I have a Fuji S2 for that. The CA issue is mainly one that occurs in a high contrast situitation, such as the branches of a tree against the sky. But ANY digital camera, including my S2, will do that. Because of the size of the individual pixels in the 828 chip, it may be a liitle worse than my S2, but it is not uncontrolled.

The main draws for me are the lens, especially the 28mm end, the manual zoom, full manual control and that it takes Compactflash (no memorystick for me) and it seems to have very good AF.

I currently have a Minolta D7, which the 828 will replace, but it has hopeless AF. I would estimate about 80% of the D7 AF photos are not in focus.

All in all, I think the 828 will be a good replacement for my D7.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 2:01 PM   #3
Rbi

At ISO 64/100 the F828 noise is almost non-existing. Compared to f.i. the EOD 300D images seems to be much noiser at ISO 800. But everyone seems to forget the F828 does has a maximum Aperture of F2.0. The 300D starts at F3.5. These is a difference of 5 stops. With the F828 you can still make a decent photo on 100 ISO where you have to boost the 300D to 800 ISO to have an useful shutter speed. So it's not that bad as you think.

I downloaded some noise pictures from the internet and run them through Neat Image (free for home use). Noise was deleted from the image in a few seconds. So the F828 seems not that worse than everyone seems to tell you.

Succes in making your choise.
Rbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2004, 4:02 PM   #4

As an owner of the F828 (and previously the F717 and various other digicams) I can confirm that the 828 produces its share of "purple fringing" (be it chromatic aberration or blooming - the experts are not agreed on this). On the other hand, this only occurs in high-contrast situations, as stated in earlier posts, and can be somewhat mitigated by stopping down the lens. Noise IMHO is not much worse than with the 717; and a somewhat noisy ISO 400 or 800 photo is always better than one that could not be taken as it was "too dark". De-noising software helps.
A big advantage of the 828 over the 717 and any other digicam I've used (apart from DSLRs) is the very good response: quick focusing (prefocus mode), very good "feel" of the manual zoom, short shutter lag, and short shot-to-shot times. The nightshot and nightframing modes are also very convenient.
After the 717, I think the 828 is a definite upgrade.
fly_on_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2004, 10:32 PM   #5

One of the main (but not the only) features on the 828 for me was the accurate and quick focus. I recently missed some once in a lifetime photos at my son's college graduation because of the TERRIBLE focusing of the Monolta DiMage 5. I will never own another Minolta product because of the focusing (or lack thereof) of this camera. especially since Minolta had to have known that this camera was deficient in this area and marketed the camera anyway. and then would not respond to concerns and complaints that I communicated to them.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 2:32 AM   #6

Thank you all so much for your replies, I really appreciate it. Don't stop though!! I'm still deliberating. Anyone that's purchased and used an 828, I'm greatly interested in hearing about your experiences with the performance and photo quality of this camera. Thank you in advance.
Don0946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2004, 7:30 AM   #7

I went into Circuit City yesterday and they had the 828 on display, so I actually got to handle one. Kind of arkward as they had it thedered (anti-theft) and it was festooned with a bunch of tags.

But it certainly seems well built. The rotating lens/body is kind of wierd, but I am sure I can get used to it. AF seems very fast and from what I have been able to read, accurate.

I have a Dimage D7 and like Harleyguy, it has terrible AF. Useless actually. So bad, in fact, that I use the camera in manual focus mode 99% of the time. Had the AF worked properly on my D7, it is unlikely that I would be looking at another camera now. The D7 takes great pictures, but the lack of reliable AF makes it very difficult to use.

I won't even consider the A1 because of my experience with the AF on the D7. Hence my interest in the 828.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2004, 4:20 PM   #8

Anytime Sony comes out with a new camera that raises the bar relative to the competition, there are a flood of posts designed to spread distress among anyone who might be looking to buy it.

The criticisms follow a familiar pattern. If there is anything about the camera that is less than perfect, it is seized upon as if it was the most important aspect of all to consider. Anything positive about the camera is buried under an avalanche of hand-wringing and catastrophizing.

This is what we are seeing with the posts about noise and fringing with the 828. Those screaming the loudest and pointing their fingers are, invariably, owners of competing cameras who can't stand to see Sony come out with another winner.

The concerns raised are little more than the proverbial 'tempest in a teacup' and should not effect your buying decisions. People who have actually used the camera extensively have indicated that the noise levels are not worse than other cameras and, in any case, The 828 isn't the only camera in the world to have these issues. it is a part of the digital world. which is why there are 3rd party solutions that eliminate these problems altogether. Nobody needs to be stuck with only the image that comes out of the camera any more.
Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote