Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:48 AM   #1

Default Sony MVC-FD200 Mavica

I have just acquired a boxed, Sony FD200 Mavica camera, with, as far as I can see, everything, (connecting cables, usb connector, driver disk, etc...) everything except a memory stick. Now I have found a 128MB stick for sale on Amazon, but before I go ahead and buy it, can anyone tell me what the still photo quality is like for this very early (2002) camera model? Basically, I suppose I'm saying should I be getting excited, and go ahead and buy a memory stick asap, or should I just throw the camera away as being a historic, but useless, thing?! Much to my amusement the camera does have the option of saving images to a floppy disk as an alternative, but I no longer have a computer that accepts them. Cheers for now! Paul
Ironingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironingman View Post
I have just acquired a boxed, Sony FD200 Mavica camera, with, as far as I can see, everything, (connecting cables, usb connector, driver disk, etc...) everything except a memory stick. Now I have found a 128MB stick for sale on Amazon, but before I go ahead and buy it, can anyone tell me what the still photo quality is like for this very early (2002) camera model? Basically, I suppose I'm saying should I be getting excited, and go ahead and buy a memory stick asap, or should I just throw the camera away as being a historic, but useless, thing?! Much to my amusement the camera does have the option of saving images to a floppy disk as an alternative, but I no longer have a computer that accepts them. Cheers for now! Paul
In my opinion, Sony Mavica was a wonderful technology when digital cameras were evolving. I suggest you should invest a little and get a decent memory stick and hang around with the camera.

Definately you will not get results like the current high resolution cameras, but this 2 MP, 3x opt zoom camera will give you great results for atleast 4x6 prints or even for viewing on your computer/tv.

I myself am having a Sony P-200 bought in 2004 and yet this is going strong. This camera compared to current ones does not have much features but still shoots in 7.2 MP and gives good results.

Now, I am planning for a new high-end point & shoot like the Sony DSC-HX100v or the Fujifilm HS20 EXR, but will never give away my first camera the P200.

Rest all is upto you.

Happy Shooting....

Saket Bajaj.
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:52 AM   #3

i still use my mavica fd200 daily .its a great ebay/pic posting camera .it also does great closeups. i have had alot of other cameras with much higher megapixels but i always come back to my mavica .
just cant give it up i guess.

heres a couple shots taken with the fd200

Shot at 2008-02-09

Shot at 2006-12-08

Shot at 2010-02-17

these are examples of closeup work i do with my mavica .it takes good everyday pictures too,just dont blow them up too large .i just cant give up this mavica ...its still my favorite ebay camera.
johndoe03 is offline   Reply With Quote