Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:27 PM   #1

Default Sony HX100V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsII_2pNtE
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:19 PM   #2

I love Sony cams; I have a DSLR A200 that works wonders considering it's price. The new HX100 looks like it'll be quite a camera, but there are a few things about it that are deal-killers for me. The Zeiss lens is no doubt amazing, but I don't see any way to attach filters. I have reservations about that dual-purpose lens ring as well. It's obviously electronic and looking at the video, operating lag is plain to see. There's no hotshoe either, and no external flash = no deal. My experience with built-in flashes on superzoom cameras is that they're only marginally useful at best. Canon and Fuji have put hotshoes on their prosumer superzooms for years, why not Sony? This is an unforgivable omission on a camera like this one.
Fujifilm FinePix HS10, Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR, Pentax E-80 P&S, Sunpak auto383 flash, Optex slave flash, Velbon VGB3 heavy-metal tripod, TechPro TP-242 tripod with B62 ballhead, assorted filters and other bits.

Last edited by toshi43; Apr 2, 2011 at 4:01 PM.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:50 PM   #3

one comment was it was like the H50...it is...only upgraded. Will have to look into it more. Seems to have a 16.2 mp, which is ok. Be better with an 18 full frame. I know, I harp on that. 3 D??? The guy goes a bit fast on some of the movie...flashing over the back and what the LCD shows...I do not need to see you twist the dial, just keep showing the LCD. sheesh. We'll see.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2011, 9:57 PM   #4

looks more like an upgraded version of HX1.. definitely didn't improve the lacks of HX1 just like the second poster mentioned
sprig9an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:03 AM   #5

Finally, its launched in Japan on the 8th of April. Now lets hope to see, early here.

After reading many issues regarding heat problems, focusing issues while shooting videos in the Fujifilm HS20EXR, the Sony DSC-HX100v looks promising...

Saket Bajaj
saketb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:34 PM   #6

Old Apr 18, 2011, 3:47 AM   #7

TX100V

Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:24 AM   #8

Full manual for HX100

http://finalcity.com/images/manual/PDF/
Old May 26, 2011, 8:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshi43 View Post
I love Sony cams; I have a DSLR A200 that works wonders considering it's price. The new HX100 looks like it'll be quite a camera, but there are a few things about it that are deal-killers for me. The Zeiss lens is no doubt amazing, but I don't see any way to attach filters. I have reservations about that dual-purpose lens ring as well. It's obviously electronic and looking at the video, operating lag is plain to see. There's no hotshoe either, and no external flash = no deal. My experience with built-in flashes on superzoom cameras is that they're only marginally useful at best. Canon and Fuji have put hotshoes on their prosumer superzooms for years, why not Sony? This is an unforgivable omission on a camera like this one.
In addition to the things you mentioned, there is no setable macro mode, either. The "manual" is a pamphlet hardly more inclusive than Fuji's HS10, and the online/on disc "User Guide" is nowhere as good or useable as the Fuji's online mnual. The camera has some nice features, but when you read the description on the Sony site, it sounds a lot like the slt cameras, but there is precious little similarity in practice. The resolution of the EVF and LCD is nowhere as good as that and even that of the HS10 is far superior. I bought the camera yesterday thinking it a step up from the HS10, and I am returning it tomorrow. If you can trust to the autofocus and want instant access for movies it might be the one for you (online reviews of motion picture performance look good, but little attention has been paid to still photos), but I found critical focus impossible to judge visually on this camera - even to adjust the EVF diopter setting. One thing in common with the SLTs is that there are even warnings in the Guide about overheating.

Keep your HS10.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:27 AM   #10

It does have a macro, their 'new i' which chooses what you need by what it thinks you are doing. It can focus from 0.03 to infinity...no, it is not a 'setable' mode which there should be. I like kodaks macro and macro + or the old macro on the back dial.

A shame really, was hoping for a better camera.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote