Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old May 22, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1
cmj

Default Would Sony HX5V be a good choice for me?

Hi! I originally was looking for a camera with a max price of $150, but I found a few closer to $200 and I think that is where I want to be. It will be a camera for taking pics of kids, vacations, that kind of stuff. I must say that reading reviews, while helpful, sometimes confuses me more. I want a good zoom and good picture quality, being small is very important.

My top choices are the Sony HX5V, Fuji F300, Casio EX-ZR10, and the Panasonic ZS7. I can't try the HX5V since it's only avail on-line, that's my reason for reading so many reviews. I'm scared to buy it because of all the picture quality talk (dull colors and soft pictures). However, I must tell you that compared to what I've been using, the pictures will likely beautiful to my eyes. I believe that this camera would be more than what I was expecting to get for the money. I don't know anything about post processing, I guess that will the next thing I will have to learn. I'm very excited about learning more about photography.

Please tell me, on the HX5V, what ISO settings would be the best if I ever did want a larger print, say a 11X14 or 10X13? That doesn't happen too much, but sometimes I might want a nice pic on the wall. Mainly my pics will be in 4x6 or 5x7 size. Are there "tricks" to take pictures in sunlight so that the colors are not dull?

I need to bit the bullet and order a camera, I've wasted so much time researching. I don't know what the Amazon return policy is, I've heard different things. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Are the photos really "dull" in color with this camera, without tweaking them? Nobody wants dull photos. I've seen some really nice ones, but I don't know if they've been post processed before they were posted on-line. Sometimes the "real" colors of a scene are not as vibrant as other cameras show them.

Any advice you can give me would be helpful. I've been really wishy-washy with this decision. I want to buy a camera and start having fun. This will be my first digital camera. Will the HX5V be a good camera for me?

I welcome all suggestions. Thanks so much!
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2011, 7:41 AM   #2

The hx5 is a great little camera with lots of bells and whistles. If you are willing to buy used or refurbished, you can often find it in the 150 range on amazon. I would buy from amazon new for 200. You have 30 days to return it... No questions, but it must be with the original packaging and accessories or you won't get a full refund. For the money, there's nothing better out there IMO. It's not a perfect camera, but a good jack of all trades. I have the hx7v and after a short 1 day of ownership, I have a good first impression.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 8:13 AM   #3
cmj

Do a follow-up post after a few days and tell us how you like it. I think I'm now leaning towards the ZS7, but the cheapest I can find it is $249.00. That's a bit more than I wanted to spend. However, I will have whatever camera I choose for a very long time. I think it will be all about "learning" the camera this summer. I'm excited to choose one and start taking pics.
cmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 3:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
Do a follow-up post after a few days and tell us how you like it. I think I'm now leaning towards the ZS7, but the cheapest I can find it is $249.00. That's a bit more than I wanted to spend. However, I will have whatever camera I choose for a very long time. I think it will be all about "learning" the camera this summer. I'm excited to choose one and start taking pics.
If you're the type of person that doesn't upgrade tech with every model year, you should stretch to buy the best camera you can reasonably afford. Since you're in it for the long haul, you should make sure you buy from a retailer that you can return the camera to without paying a ridiculous restocking fee (even if the purchase price is slightly more). My "go to" store is Amazon--through amazon, not the amazon market. I have never had an issue with returns. You can buy the HX5V for $200.00 on amazon with free shipping and, depending on where you live, no tax. Best Buy also stopped requiring a restocking fee on returns--so that's an option too, but their prices suck unless they have a sale. I think you should go for HX5V. If you love the camera great--if not, send it back and get something else.

I don't really think there's a huge difference between the HX5V and the HX7V that I bought. The higher pixel density on the CMOS sensor on the 7V is a blessing and course. Bigger sensors cause more noise--requiring more aggressive post-processing. However, other characteristics, speed, autofocus, video quality, sound are slightly improved. I think 10mp on a compact camera is more than sufficient. I have a 3 year old Panasonic Lumix TZ5 that is 9mp and it takes great pictures--IMO, they even look nice when blown up to 8x10. From what I have seen so far, the HX7V seems to take comparable pictures in good lighting and much better pictures in low light situations. I have messed around with the Panasonic ZS10 and really liked it. Although I didn't take it home, I thought it was very comparable to my sony, maybe a little better--but not that much better than I would spend an extra $75. See, my "best I can afford" cut off at $275.00--so, that took the HX9V (not that you can find it in stock anywhere) and ZS10 off the table. I didn't really consider the ZS7 because I wasn't impressed with the video quality--which is important to me.

Good luck with your decision.
set2374 is offline   Reply With Quote