Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sony

Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:57 AM   #1

Default Sony HX9V mts video playback on PC

I just got a Sony HX9V and the HD video it takes is fantastic, but I cannot find a program that will playback my video on my PC or laptop that isn't super choppy.

My videos were recorded in the highest setting - 60 fps.

I've tried VLC, Oxygen player, and Media Player Classic.

What will work better so I can watch my videos on my computer(preferably a free program)?
jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, your hardware is just not fast enough. AVCHD places very high demands on the hardware needed for smooth playback.

So, if your PC and laptop are not "state-of-the-art", with a fast CPU and plenty of memory, then you can run into playback issues (choppy playback, audio and video out of sync, etc.).

You may want to try closing other apps first to see if that helps. Temporarily disabling any Antivirus products can also help.

If your PC (or laptop) has a newer nvidia or ati video chipset, then some video playback products and codecs may be able to use the GPU to improve playback (so that less demands are placed on your CPU). GPU support will vary by video player (some support ATI and/or Nvidia chipsets if you use a more recent driver with them).

Here's one thread discusisng AVCHD that you may want to browse through. It mentions some of the available codecs and video software available. It's in our Panasonic Forum. But, the same tips should apply to playing your Sony produced video. if your PC isn't fast enough to handle the playback, regardless of products you try, then you may need to convert the files to another format that places less demands on your hardware.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...c-cameras.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks Jim. I was reading through another forum and someone recommended 'Splash Lite'. I went to CNET downloads and just tried that out and that's been the best so far.

Works on both my PC and laptop with very little choppiness (although one video looks like it's in slow motion, but the rest seem pretty good).
jmk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:54 PM   #4

Splash Lite is the best for this (try it with and without hardware acceleration). If this does not do it, you need a new computer.
markr041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 10:51 AM   #5

The hardware acceleration makes my video choppy, I wonder why that is. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact my video is interlaced or not.
forchwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:21 PM   #6

Just got my hx9v yesterday and love the videos captured. Still have to learn the photo side of it.
When i installed the cd that came with tha camera, it had an avchd player which i also installed. I played the videos taken by hx9 and it played fine. I tried vlc and it struggled. Have u tried the software included in the cd?
noypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:40 PM   #7
Administrator

Good point. Sony's PMB (Picture Motion Browser) supports hardware acceleration with many video chipsets under Windows.

Personally, I'm accustomed to using VLC for playing video, since I use Linux much of the time and VLC is cross platform (Linux, OS X, Windows). But if Windows users experience borderline video playback with other options, Sony's software may be worth a try.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote